speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, as any of you that know me very well know that I am NOT a video guy. Much more of an audio guy. That being said, I have a Sony BR player that is(1) rather large and (2) getting kind of clunky. Have a neighbor that seems to want to buy it for some reason. As such, I going to let her have it for $50.

So, are the 4K BR players worth the money? In the past, I have preferred Panasonic BR players. Not really sure why I ended up with a Sony. But, I want something that loads faster and is smaller. Maybe not so clunky too. Any suggestions?

My 40" LCD TV is a 1080P. May opt for a 4K TV once the prices level off some. Perhaps, sometime around Black Friday, no? Eventually, I will also upgrade my Denon AVR so that it is HDCP2.2 compliant. Would I be better off waiting for the 4K TV prices to come down and level off some? The same for the 4K BR Players? Sorry guys, but I am out of my league on this one. Any help, like always, will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
For the most part, todays players just interlace or upscale to 4K, they will not play 4K discs. There is one exception from Samsung, which does play 4K discs, but where can you buy a 4K disc today? At any rate, you may just wanna wait. Of course, you could buy the Samsung if its features appeal to you. If I understand it right, it will upscale your current DVDs and Blurays; and, when 4K discs actually appear you'll be good to go.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Buy an Oppo now for instant gratification with a disc player. The video processing is superb and is an improvement over just about ANYTHING!

4K is not worth the investment IMHO. Atleast not yet anyway. With OLED coming online with more manufacturers we finally have a successor to Plasma in the TV space. I'd save money for that in the next year or two, and then think about 4K.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
For the most part, todays players just interlace or upscale to 4K, they will not play 4K discs. There is one exception from Samsung, which does play 4K discs, but where can you buy a 4K disc today? At any rate, you may just wanna wait. Of course, you could buy the Samsung if its features appeal to you. If I understand it right, it will upscale your current DVDs and Blurays; and, when 4K discs actually appear you'll be good to go.
I see. Nothing against Samsung, but I think that it is better to wait until more of the 4K BR players are out. Want to see what Panasonic comes out with. Likewise, will hold off on a new TV until the prices come down more. Maybe Black Friday will be a good time to pick up a new 4K TV. Something at least 48" or more. Nothing too extravagant. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Buy an Oppo now for instant gratification with a disc player. The video processing is superb and is an improvement over just about ANYTHING!

4K is not worth the investment IMHO. Atleast not yet anyway. With OLED coming online with more manufacturers we finally have a successor to Plasma in the TV space. I'd save money for that in the next year or two, and then think about 4K.
Yeah, really like the Oppo's but just more than I want to spend really. Really don't even watch that much TV. Nor do I watch very many movies anymore. However, I do, on occasion, watch both. Usually, I just use my TV speakers when watching TV. But, when watching a movie I will most certainly use my set-up.

Will hold off for a good while before buying a new 4K TV. The same goes for a 4K BR Player. Will keep an eye out to see what Panasonic comes out with. Have had very good luck with them in the past. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm personally going to hold off on whole 4k craze, till I could buy good 4k projector for reasonable money (lets say around 2-3k)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm personally going to hold off on whole 4k craze, till I could buy good 4k projector for reasonable money (lets say around 2-3k)
Holy smokes! Did not know projectors were that expensive. Really don't know too much about them. Like you, I plan to hold off until things settle down more. Plus, it allows for me to get some things paid off. Hope to move up to at least a 48" 4K TV and some sort of 4K BR Player down the road. Will surely keep my eye on Panasonic.

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Holy smokes! Did not know projectors were that expensive. Really don't know too much about them. Like you, I plan to hold off until things settle down more. Plus, it allows for me to get some things paid off. Hope to move up to at least a 48" 4K TV and some sort of 4K BR Player down the road. Will surely keep my eye on Panasonic.

Cheers,

Phil
48" 4K TV is an Oxymoron. You probably meant to say 84" 4k TV.
For TV typical distance of 8-10ft you'd want to start at a humble 75" 4k TV or higher sizes.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
For TV typical distance of 8-10ft you'd want to start at a humble 75" 4k TV or higher sizes.
Well, the bigger 4K's will be totally out of my budget. Am really not a HT guy anyways. Will be looking into the ranges of a 48"-55" or so. Certainly, nothing bigger than a 60". It will all depend on what kind of deal I come across. Have had very good luck with the Insignia brand of TVs. The last two that I have owned have performed flawlessly.

Cheers,

Phil

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
If I understand what you are saying, there is little point to buy 4K screen sizes under 75" due to the higher resolution, or were you just making a joke? Please explain.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's only about 20-25 4K discs out there and showing for release. Not something I'd invest in yet. No dobut more will be coming out, but I'd still give it a while. Not too bad to jump on it early, but at this point I'd see where it goes first.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
There's only about 20-25 4K discs out there. Not something I'd invest in yet.
Yeah, that is my plan. If anything, might go ahead and get a 4K TV if I can get a good deal on one. Sure in no real hurry doing so. Will keep an open mind though. Back Friday will be here before we know it. That may be the time I pounce!

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Buy a Projector instead. There aRE GOOD 1080p ONES for $500-700. Just imagine Kate on that big screen:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Buy a Projector instead. There aRE GOOD 1080p ONES for $500-700. Just imagine Kate on that big screen:

Oh I imagine Kate alright. But, not on the BIG screen......LOL!!!! Especially, after seeing this.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ok last one I promise. She likes guitars, so send some with roses as well, you never know.:eek:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
If I understand what you are saying, there is little point to buy 4K screen sizes under 75" due to the higher resolution, or were you just making a joke? Please explain.
The added resolution in and of itself won't make a lot of difference if you're running something like a 55" screen and sitting 10 feet away. That particular example equates to a horizontal viewing angle of roughly 22.5 degrees. If you have 20/20 vision, that means you can resolve details down to 1/60th of a degree, aka one arc minute. From there it's simple math to see how many pixels of horizontal resolution your eyes can resolve: 22.5x60 = 1350. That's a little more than what 720p offers, but it's comfortably exceeded by 1080p.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Ok last one I promise. She likes guitars, so send some with roses as well, you never know.:eek:

So stunningly beautiful! Can't wait for the next Underworld! It will be a MUST see for me.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The added resolution in and of itself won't make a lot of difference if you're running something like a 55" screen and sitting 10 feet away. That particular example equates to a horizontal viewing angle of roughly 22.5 degrees. If you have 20/20 vision, that means you can resolve details down to 1/60th of a degree, aka one arc minute. From there it's simple math to see how many pixels of horizontal resolution your eyes can resolve: 22.5x60 = 1350. That's a little more than what 720p offers, but it's comfortably exceeded by 1080p.
So, basically getting a 55" 4K TV would be a bad idea? Being diabetic I do NOT have 20/20 vision. My glasses help, but still not 20/20. No need to spend money where it is not needed.

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Steve post above is correct, but Let me answer with visual which might help drive the point.

You see what I mean now - To see some benefit of 4k res from 10 ft, you'd need a 75" tv.
And don't tell me this old story - I went to electronics store and I can clearly see the difference, this is is bs because you were standing only few feet away which does still apply to this graph.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, basically getting a 55" 4K TV would be a bad idea? Being diabetic I do NOT have 20/20 vision. My glasses help, but still not 20/20. No need to spend money where it is not needed.

Cheers,

Phil
Depends how far you sit from it. 55" 4k TV makes some sense from (and let's be generous) - 5-6t

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis