45-50" TV Recommendations

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I am trying to help my mother purchase a new TV. She currently has a 32" LCD. I believe it is a Samsung. She wants something bigger and suggested 45-50". her viewing room has a ton of windows and can be very bright. The other caveat is that her seating positions are offset such that only one position on the couch is really straight in front of the TV. The others would have a bit of an angle view.

I'm open to suggestions but based on her budget I am probably looking at LED sets.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would offer that the first thing to consider/ask is if the size you are going to actually is the right size?

How much television viewing is done in the home? Is the TV on all day, and is it viewed from various distances? Is it only on for 'prime time' or even less? What is the typical viewing distance? How much actual space is available for a TV?

The first instinct of most people is COMPLETELY WRONG!

The #1 complaint people have about buying a new TV? "I wish I had gotten a bigger size."

You don't buy a bigger TV because you want a bigger TV. You buy it because the size you had was actually too small, and replacing it with something else that is too small is just a waste of money.

At 10' couch to television I have not had a single person who thinks that 60" to 70" is too large. Not one.

I actually told someone, flat out, that they would not put their 70" in the basement, but in the family room, and by the time I was done with the installation, they would thank me for pushing them that way.

I was wrong... Within just a couple of hours they thanked me for pushing them that way.

People get very used to TVs that are larger than they expected, extremely quickly. Not in days, but typically in hours.

Vizio tends to make very solid performing models at a reasonable price.
The mid-level Samsung models I think are great looking and have decent reliability.
LG displays I typically avoid due to reliability, but their new OLED models looks just astoundingly good.

The above linked TV is a good choice. Likely a better size than what is being asked for.

Do NOT waste money on a curved television.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the advice. Through my own research I had actually gravitated to the Vizio and Samsung lines as well. As far as the size, although my mother sits around 11 feet from the TV there is no way she will accept a 60-70" TV in her home. It just wont happen. I have a 65" Panny plasma in my house that I sit about 12 feet from and she thinks it is a monstrosity.

I have not shopped TV's in a while. It is amazing. It is hard to find a 1080p TV in that size range with decent performance specs. I was trying to find something with full array dimming and a 120 hz actual refresh rate. As far as I can tell it cannot be done in a 1080 set. But it seems like such a waste to buy a 50" 4k TV. I guess that's where the market is going -- regardless of any actual benefit to 4k at that screen size.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
At 11 feet, my dad's 70" TV is uncomfortably large for general usage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis