4 Zone Ceiling speakers - what receiver should I buy.

R

Raj J

Audiophyte
I am finishing my basement, and pre-wired 4 rooms/area with ceiling speakers (4 pairs) so we can play music through out. I bought Yamaha NS-IW280CWH speakers (100W) to be installed. What basic receiver do I need to buy. I am not interested in surround sound, just want to play music. I dont need separate volume controls, just one control for all is good. I visited Best Buy and they suggested to buy an amplifier which was $500 plus. My budget is $200. I have a sony $250 5.1 receiver/speaker in my living room and I am happy with the quality of the sound, but I read on various forums that 5.1/7.1 will not work. I am assuming there should be decent receiver which can output and I can buy a speaker selector to distribute to 4 zones (8 speakers). Thanks in advance.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

You heard correct, a standard AVR is not a good choice for multi-room. You need something like a multi-channel distribution amplifier from a company like Home Theater Direct. They seem to be about the cheapest source out there, but if $200 is your budget you’re probably out of luck.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

ScottAllenLogan

Audioholic Intern
You could get two cheap Audiosource amps and run both A and B speaker sets for a total of 4 sets, but you're still over your limit and it doesn't give you much control for volume. If that's truly your limit, then you should dig into EBay and look for room distro amps someone might be parting out. There are a whole bunch of them out there. With any luck, you'll get something that also uses RF remotes so you can run individual volume controls, but you really are dipping into a much more expensive setup to do properly than you have planned for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis