4 ohm or 8 ohm connection?

G

grg1120

Audiophyte
My friend is bringing over his McIntosh MC452 for listening to hookup to my GoldenEar Triton One.

What ohm connection should it hooked up to? I am not sure.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's usually the case when it says "compatible" but this amp delivers so much power, I think that's a moot point. Not sure why it also has 2 Ohm taps since that's rare for home speakers, but it should be able to handle that speaker regardless.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's usually the case when it says "compatible" but this amp delivers so much power, I think that's a moot point. Not sure why it also has 2 Ohm taps since that's rare for home speakers, but it should be able to handle that speaker regardless.
Yeah don't think it's a big worry, but might be why the OP is wondering which way to go?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would personally try the 8 ohm, then the 4ohm tap, and use the one that sounds best.

For my Dynaco ST-70, I have found that the 4ohm taps have worked best for me, for the speakers that I have tried on it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am just curious how the wiring is in the Mac. I'd probably try it both ways.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am just curious how the wiring is in the Mac. I'd probably try it both ways.
That is clearly a 4 ohm speaker and the 4 ohm tap should be used. Never believe what a loudspeaker manufacturer says the impedance is. They lie through their teeth. The impedance curve clearly shows this speake'rs honest rating is 4 ohms.

The Macs use Auto transformers and setting the tap correctly is important as otherwise they will not deliver the stated power.

I really dislike this system. I much prefer direct coupled output stages. Those Mac amps are well down the list of any amp I would want to own.

The reason for it is simple. Mac customers have very expensive speakers. If protection should fail and blow an expensive set of speakers, then there will be no DC offset as a transformer can not pass DC. So those amps can not put Mac on the hook for an exotic expensive set of speakers.

The MAC BS sales pitch says it is to perfectly match the amp to the load. However loudspeaker impedance curves and phase angles are all of the map, like the speaker in question. So this is total BS and those of us who have been around the block know the real reason full well.

So those Mac amps do not match real world loads as well as well designed direct coupled amps.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic
2 ohm taps are usually used for hard to drive electrostatic or planer speakers.
Sometimes they tend to dip well below the 4 ohm range.
Usually the 4 ohm taps are safe to use with them.
If the tritons are recommended 4 ohm, I'd use 4 ohm taps.
It can't hurt to try the 2 ohm taps. I'd be cautious about using the 8 ohm taps if the speaker is rated for 4 ohm and is a planer and/or electrostatic.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis