4 ohm or 6 ohm setting?

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I have a onkyo TX-SR503 receiver, running cerwin vega VE-12 fronts and ve series surrounds and centre. On the back of the speakers it has "compatable with receivers rated 8 ohms or less". the onkyo has a setting to choose between 4 ohm and 6 ohm impendence, and i am wondering which would be best for the receiver? would it make any difference? i have it set at 6 ohms currently. Thanks alot for any advice, i love this site. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a onkyo TX-SR503 receiver, running cerwin vega VE-12 fronts and ve series surrounds and centre. On the back of the speakers it has "compatable with receivers rated 8 ohms or less". the onkyo has a setting to choose between 4 ohm and 6 ohm impendence, and i am wondering which would be best for the receiver? would it make any difference? i have it set at 6 ohms currently. Thanks alot for any advice, i love this site. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Set the receiver's impedance selection to the highside of nominal imdedance of the speaker. ie, If the speaker is rtaed at 6 ohms and your impedance selection switch on teh receiver is 4 or 8 ohms, choose the 8 ohm settign and you'll be fine.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
FYI, that receiver doesn't have a "8 ohm" setting. The 6 ohm setting will keep the receiver from limiting current. The 4 ohm setting is designed to protect the receiver if it encounters a difficult load. In order to keep from over heating it limits the output power.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
FYI, that receiver doesn't have a "8 ohm" setting. The 6 ohm setting will keep the receiver from limiting current. The 4 ohm setting is designed to protect the receiver if it encounters a difficult load. In order to keep from over heating it limits the output power.
Your right, it has 4 ohm and 6 ohm selection. :) Thanks alot.

Z

Zzyzx

Enthusiast
Thanks for pointing this out Seth, I was wondering the same thing

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It's no problem, I enjoy helping people when they genuinely want help. I don't enjoy being trolled or asked questions to appease your own beliefs (those that want to basically troll to hear what they want). *not you guys, just a rotten day*

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis