rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I never was a fan of the active shutter 3d tech Samsung was married to. The glasses are expensive, heavier than passive, and nobody wants to have to replace batteries or charge them, or even turn their glasses on and off. It's a cumbersome user experience even if you're not sensitive to the flicker.

LG, dubious dependability scoundrels that they are, have the right idea with passive. (edit: Well, crap. Apparently LG is out too.) And maybe one of these days glasses free 3d will bring about a rebirth. In the meantime, 3d is pretty much a standard feature for home projectors.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
3D in projectors is even starting to fade away.

This is almost a zero cost additional tech to displays, and it seems like such a waste to get rid of a feature that nobody is forced to use.

It's made worse by the nearly impossible statements of 'glasses free' 3D which are thrown around like that technology is realistic.

I have no real issue with the tech going away from standard televisions, but once you are up beyond 60" and are getting a premium display, it seems like such a shame to remove such a feature. I certainly know there are many gamers that love 3D and swear by it, and certainly all of us front projection folk wouldn't consider a unit without 3D included. Especially since DLP Link 3D doesn't even require additional materials to make it work.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I picked up 4 pairs of Samsung 3D glasses for $40 a piece when my TV was still new. I picked up the previous year's models when the new one came out so they were deeply discounted. IMO, active glasses look significantly better than the passive ones in the theater. The reality though, though I have a decent sized collection of 3D films, I tend to watch them only once unless they are excellent examples - then I use those to show friends how good it looks.

Dave Blount

Dave Blount

Junior Audioholic
just another fad like it was when I was a kid ........

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was never a fan of 3D displays. However, I find it ironic that 3D is/has dieing/died with the display manufacturers when most of the big action flicks are released in 3D.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was never a fan of 3D displays. However, I find it ironic that 3D is/has dieing/died with the display manufacturers when most of the big action flicks are released in 3D.
Those are the ones that tend to be the most fun to watch in 3D. I don't need to watch a drama in 3D lol. Mad Max looked great and some of the Resident Evil movies looked amazing. Most of the best 3D movies for me are animated or stop motion though.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Sony hasn't dropped 3D yet, so I am still watching 3D movies on rare occasions, mainly action ones. Even most of the movies released in IMAX 3D these days are pretty worthless. I will say that movies like Resident Evil and Aliens Promethius really did use the 3D well to enhance the movie, but they are few and far between.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've used the 3D feature in my TV twice. Maybe. I'm very sensitive to all the downsides since my vision in one eye is so much different from the other. Contacts correct it about 90%, but it still makes my head hurt after a few min.

Cristian22

Cristian22

Audiophyte
It was a technology poorly implemented in the home environment that never caught the attendance.
Never a fan of the active 3d anyway; I have a LG tv with 3d passive;
I have some blue rays that I occasionally watch in 3d, especially Avatar (I think the best 3d effect movie ever made).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It was a technology poorly implemented in the home environment that never caught the attendance.
Never a fan of the active 3d anyway; I have a LG tv with 3d passive;
I have some blue rays that I occasionally watch in 3d, especially Avatar (I think the best 3d effect movie ever made).
The ACTIVE home systems are far superior to anything I've seen in pretty much any theater.

LOL, If Avatar is your best, then you haven't even seen what 3D is really capable of. That one was not shot in 3D, it was converted and very few converted films look as good as ones that were actually done in 3D. If you want to see GREAT 3D try Coraline, Despicable Me and Pacific Rim - easily the best three 3D films.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I've only watched two movies at home in 3d. I think one was the first Avengers movie. (Made the carrier ship look really fake) I have been meaning to watch the 3d version of Dredd because I think the slo-mo effects ought to look really cool.

Jim

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dredd is another really excellent 3D movie, and the audio is nuts on that one. First 11.2 mastered movie, though presented there in 7.1. Slo-mo is the best part.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think I have only 3 movies in 3D and I prefer to watch them in 2D.. Even on local movie theaters I prefer 2D over 3D.. IMAX 3D how ever was a lot better and I would like to see more movies there but there are no IMAX theaters close by.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
3D is being replaced with the "new" fad VR/AR. Companies seem to be focusing on it and I don't really see it as being adopted any more than 3D.

A

Adam Kelly

Junior Audioholic
I also love my 3DTV although I am looking to replace it with a 4K 3D TV while I can still get my hands on one. I am loyal to Sony and prefer active over passive. My favorite 3D movies are Avatar, The Force Awakens, Pacific Rim, pretty much any animated film but Finding Nemo and Finding Dory and Toy Story 3 are great. Also liked The Martian, Transformers, The Hobbit and Everest in 3D.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
It was never a tech that I found any particular interest in myself. Even the 3D movies I've seen in the theater I've preferred to see them in regular 2D. While it's neat and even looks cool I found that it's too much and takes me out of the story because I'm focusing more on the 3D than just watching the film.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis