Josh T

Josh T

Audiophyte
What is the best type of 3D projector, Active or Passive? RF or IR? I don't want to spend thousands on a projector and get junk 3D. One other consideration is the cost of glasses. I'm builing a theater that will have seating for 11 but kids will be on the floor (7-10). I have a bunch of 3D glasses from the movie theater, but not sure if they will work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Active projectors have cheap glasses, but are almost non-existent. You will spend $2,000+ to get the passive equipment you need instead of spending $1,000 for 20 pairs of very good active glasses.

If you want a great active 3D setup, then the Epson 5030 is well rated, and the Sony HW45ES should be good as well. Those are around $2,000. The new Epson 5040 should be a solid contender. These will deliver superior overall image quality.

The entry level BenQ HT2050 is a great model. The black levels aren't as good as the more expensive models above, but at $800 or so, it can deliver a 133" 3D image that is better than movie theaters typically show.

Active glasses have less crosstalk than movie theaters can deliver with passive glasses.

There are plenty of reviews to read about 3D glasses. I think I typically use the eStar models with my BenQ W1070 with great results. There are a ton of options and reviews out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis