350 baaad audio playback??

R

rivrbyte

Junior Audioholic
I bought a new Sony BDP-S350 player.

I bought a Samsung 46A-750, Hung that on the wall.

The BDP-S350, which is temporary plugged into the TV's side HDMI (monoprice cable) port until I find a receiver to plug both the Time-Warner DVR, and the Blu ray player into that, then run one HDMI from receiver to TV.

THE PROBLEM:
I purchased my very first Blu Ray movie, which was, "The Dark Knight", and while listening to the movie, The main dialogue seemed to sound ok, but there's something in the background cutting in and out, and sometimes muffled, just unbearable.

I am not hooking up the TV to the BD LIVE feature, and I do not have a LAN connection anyway. I just want to watch movies.

Has anyone else has this problem with the same TV and BD Player?

There are a few scenarios. ..
Bad (new) BluRay Disc,
Bad (new)BluRay Player,
or something to do with the (new) TV.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Are you sending a PCM or a Bitstream signal out of the player?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
How would either PCM or Bitstream effect the audio playback when you're directly connected via HDMI to the tvs audio. I just checked with my bd35 and those audio setting have little to no effect on the tvs audio. I even checked the pcm downconverson both positions on & off. :confused:
Could it not be something else?:eek:

R

rivrbyte

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys and happy Weekend to you all!

The Think tank. Gotta love it!

I am not using an A/V system? "Most TVs have poor audio and are not designed for movie sound tracks." Could this be the main problem?

This novice (myself) is not familiar with PCM. I have my Blu-ray connected directly into my Samsung HDMI #4 Side port,until I buy, and install the AVR.

TV speakers are fine, I listen to the Normal or Speech mode all the time, and do not hear these noise artifacts in the background until I watch this Blu-Ray disc and change the TV audio to Movie mode,but then again, these 10w x 2 TV speakers are not that greatest to begin with. I guess when I get a 3.1,or 5.1, then the Blu-Ray will kick in the better sound as far as separation,and not forcing it all out of 2 channels.

I know I do not have a 5.1, or even a 3.1, but just stereo from my TV for now, but all this hype bout what a great picture and great audio these Blu-Rays have, well, so far, I'm a bit disappointed. To me, it looks just like a normal Standard DVD I'm watching.

So.... would be the consensus on my audio background noise problem...., would the update firmware of the version 010,fix this problem, or does this update only install the BD LIVE software to the unit?

Could it be the TV itself? Could it be the monoprice HDMI cord is bad? ( I doubt it, they make a good product) The TV is up on the wall, so it's a little hard to plug into another HDMI ports,before troubleshooting all other scenarios.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
lol

Thanks guys and happy Weekend to you all!

The Think tank. Gotta love it!

I am not using an A/V system? "Most TVs have poor audio and are not designed for movie sound tracks." Could this be the main problem?
Are you asking this question, in earnest, at a forum called Audioholics?

TV's do not supply excellent audio, even with the larger cabinets of RPTVs. With a flat panel, however, my hopes would be even more dramatically diminished.

R

rivrbyte

Junior Audioholic
Thank you!

Josten, I updated the firmware. I had a .007 version, then today updated to v0.10,went into BD setup and noticed these settings.

The brackets are enabled to what is on....

AUDIO HDMI- [Auto] or 2 CH PCM
BD AUDIO SETTING - [Mix] or direct
AUDIO ATT.- [On] or Off
DOLBY DIGITAL - [Downmix PCM] or Dolby Digital
DTS DIGITAL OUT - [Downmix PCM] or DTS
48/96Hz PCM - [48Hz/16 Bit] - or 96Hz/24 Bit
AUDIO DRC - [Auto], Standard,TV Mode,or Wide Range
DOWNMIX - Apply Dolby Surround or [Normal]

My Samsung750 TV has the SRSurround Off, still have to find the Dynamic Compression and the night mode and turn off as another poster suggested.And also the Digital NR is set to medium.

In the TV's Source menu, before I only had two HDMI's hooked up. One for the TV from the back into the Cablebox, and one from the side #4 HDMI, to the Blu Ray player, but now I have another source showing a HDMI BD Anynet.

Would you let me know if you see anything wrong with these settings...Thank you again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis