2nd Mediocre Sub or One Good One?

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I presently have one Klipsch Sw-112 sub, which actually has served me pretty well. These subs are currently about $300 from various online retailers, so I was debating whether it would be worth it to get a 2nd one to even out bass response, or sell my current one and get a single $500-600 sub.

My living room is beneath my toddler's room, so unless she's with her grandparents I don't really get to be a basshead, which is making me lean towards a second Klipsch to even out the sound. However, getting a better sub would also be an improvement, and might even give me some DSP for the sub channel.

What do you guys think?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tough one because duals might be a good thing if you don't mind the space it takes up. Though with the HSU VTF-2 Mk5 at under $600 I'd probably be looking for a buyer for the 112.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I have eye'd that sub up in the past. I don't recall if that sub has built in DSP. I think that if I were to upgrade, I would look for one that has it since my receiver doesn't

I just found this article: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs which seems to back up my idea of buying a second SW-112.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd do the second sub; trading it for another single won't smooth response any better. If you need dsp you can always add a minidsp unit.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I'm of the opinion to get the best single sub you can afford, and always keep an eye on a second, while hopefully saving up to get it. Also, toddlers don't stay toddlers forever, so the sensitivity you're using now will likely change as she gets older. Not sure how big the room is, but there are a few ID subs that should handily outperform the klipsch for 600 bucks. Rythmik and HSU is where is start.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/

If floor space is tight, the cylinder models from svs are great, although a little over budget.
https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000
Keep in mind, duals won't guarantee smoother sound, and proper care with a single can give a good response, albeit over a smaller seating range. Although you mentioned dsp it seems like you're willing to go through the effort to set them up. Minidsp and Behringer feedback destroyer are good external dsp options also.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Adding a second sub can shore up nulls, but you still have no way to trim peaks unless you add something like a miniDSP. The subs that have onbaord PEQs that can trim peaks look like they would be way out of your price range. Something like the VTF-2 would give you deeper bass, but it isn't going to improve the response alone aside from have a wider frequency band.

I would say if you want a longer term project, replace the SW112 with a better sub with the intention of adding a second one down the line sometime along with a equalizer like the miniDSP. If you buy another cheap sub now, and want something better later, it will have cost you more money in the long run, because then you will have to dump two subs instead of just one.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Well, I'm of the opinion to get the best single sub you can afford, and always keep an eye on a second, while hopefully saving up to get it. Also, toddlers don't stay toddlers forever, so the sensitivity you're using now will likely change as she gets older.
I forgot to mention that this is for our main living room which is the defacto home theater at the moment. We have a finished basement being used for storage (moved in last summer) that will eventually hold the legit home theater / bar with DIY subs and projector. I'm thinking dual 15" or 18" for that project.

In this room, I definitely prioritize even bass response for all the seats over deep bass.

I've researched the minidsp a fair amount and am familiar with the Behringer unit as well. I debated just doing one of those to optimize my current sub response first.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious how you like the SW112, seems that and the SW115 get pretty good reports generally.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I forgot to mention that this is for our main living room which is the defacto home theater at the moment. We have a finished basement being used for storage (moved in last summer) that will eventually hold the legit home theater / bar with DIY subs and projector. I'm thinking dual 15" or 18" for that project.

In this room, I definitely prioritize even bass response for all the seats over deep bass.

I've researched the minidsp a fair amount and am familiar with the Behringer unit as well. I debated just doing one of those to optimize my current sub response first.
I see you do have a long term plan so another little klipsch will probably be best for now until you start building.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Curious how you like the SW112, seems that and the SW115 get pretty good reports generally.
Considering I got mine for $250 during an Amazon sale, I like it a lot. It doesn't reach nearly as low as the ID brands, but for street price its hard to beat.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Considering I got mine for $250 during an Amazon sale, I like it a lot. It doesn't reach nearly as low as the ID brands, but for street price its hard to beat.
The Klipsch subs aren't too bad IME if you get a good deal :) I got a $300 RW-12d a long time ago and is fine within its limits. Wait til you go diy, tho :) I vote 18s.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought until the first time I got hit with 20hz. If you weren't building a dedicated space I'd surely say to upgrade.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Deeper bass doesn't do you much good if you're unable to listen loud enough to hit the hearing threshold of those ultra low and infrasonic frequencies. There's nothing wrong with the sw 112 except it's inability to get to 20hz. If you're having trouble getting a smooth response throughout the room and better sub isn't going to fix that unless you get two or more of them. It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Deeper, louder bass or smoother response?

I'm assuming that two $600 subs are outside of the budget, if I'm correct then definitely go dual with the klipsch.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've got 2 mediocre subs in a 12' x 12' carpeted space with 9' ceiling. Definitive Technology ProSub 800's, 300watts each. They are compact, one reason I chose them. After I get my system re-wired, move components around, etc. I'll have to re-visit the subwoofer problem. I don't often listen to music and movies at high volumes since I'm in an apartment and neighbors will complain.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis