2030p + 10/12" Monitor Build

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Hello there. Haven't been here in a good while.

I'll get right down to it. I love my Behrigner 2030p's. They sound exceptional to my ears. However, they are lacking in the mid bass, and bass area.

What I would love to do is build a full range cabinet with either a 10 or 12" woofer covering the lower regions, while also including the woofer and tweeter of 2030p's.

I'll be using these for studio work, but I'm not expecting 100% accuracy here. I produce electronic music, so accurate bass is something that's pretty important here.

The JBL LSR 6332 comes to mind when considering this build.

I was hoping I could get some help in designing an enclosure as well as driver selection. As of now I just happen to have a Dayton 12" SD 315 lying around but I'm assuming this would not exactly give me desirable results.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hello there. Haven't been here in a good while.

I'll get right down to it. I love my Behrigner 2030p's. They sound exceptional to my ears. However, they are lacking in the mid bass, and bass area.

What I would love to do is build a full range cabinet with either a 10 or 12" woofer covering the lower regions, while also including the woofer and tweeter of 2030p's.

I'll be using these for studio work, but I'm not expecting 100% accuracy here. I produce electronic music, so accurate bass is something that's pretty important here.

The JBL LSR 6332 comes to mind when considering this build.

I was hoping I could get some help in designing an enclosure as well as driver selection. As of now I just happen to have a Dayton 12" SD 315 lying around but I'm assuming this would not exactly give me desirable results.

There are many options depending on budget. If you could list the TS parameters I can run a WinISD simulation on the driver.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
There are many options depending on budget. If you could list the TS parameters I can run a WinISD simulation on the driver.
I believe that wmax has optimal box parameters for the 2030p's. When he gets on I'll ask him.

As for the 10-12". It depends on the driver obviously. I'm not really looking for super low extension here. 30-35hrtz would be ideal in terms of extension. I'm also not looking for this cost an arm an a leg, but I'm aware that accurate reproduction will come at a cost. I've tried to sim a few drivers with bassbox pro and winisd but I get a lot of errors.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
I find this to be unlikely.
He was banned for not giving Randyb his speakers after almost 2 years.Randy gave him money up front and thats that.But yes he is banned.....until Randy gets his speakers

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I believe that wmax has optimal box parameters for the 2030p's. When he gets on I'll ask him.

As for the 10-12". It depends on the driver obviously. I'm not really looking for super low extension here. 30-35hrtz would be ideal in terms of extension. I'm also not looking for this cost an arm an a leg, but I'm aware that accurate reproduction will come at a cost. I've tried to sim a few drivers with bassbox pro and winisd but I get a lot of errors.
The cost will be in the labor. A Dayton reference driver would be ideal for this IMO. They are pretty cheap and are well built. I can run some sims if you like just let me know.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
He was banned for not giving Randyb his speakers after almost 2 years.Randy gave him money up front and thats that.But yes he is banned.....until Randy gets his speakers
Man that's really annoying...

Forget this Randyb person, I need help :D

The cost will be in the labor. A Dayton reference driver would be ideal for this IMO. They are pretty cheap and are well built. I can run some sims if you like just let me know.
That would be wonderful. I await the results :)

If you didn't already have this, it's the measurements of the 2030p's. As you can see, they start to roll off at around 100hrtz.

I hardly ever see wmax on aim anymore, but if I do, I'll ask him for the optimal cabinet size for them. We talked about it awhile ago.

Last edited:
A9X

A9X

Enthusiast
If you didn't already have this, it's the measurements of the 2030p's. As you can see, they start to roll off at around 100hrtz.

I hardly ever see wmax on aim anymore, but if I do, I'll ask him for the optimal cabinet size for them. We talked about it awhile ago.
If you are going to add a driver below them to do the midbass duties, then there is no need to run the 6" driver down to the bottom of it's range, ie 100hz. If you run it as a midrange only then there will be no need to 'optimise' the enclosure size for the 6". Just keep it about the same as in the standard enclosure and use a quality driver such as the Dayton Reference lsiberian mentioned and cross it higher, say 200-300hz. You'll reduce distortion from the mid as a benefit (lower excursion).

I was discussing a similar implementation recently for my surrounds using a ported JBL 2225 below the 2030P.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
If you are going to add a driver below them to do the midbass duties, then there is no need to run the 6" driver down to the bottom of it's range, ie 100hz. If you run it as a midrange only then there will be no need to 'optimise' the enclosure size for the 6". Just keep it about the same as in the standard enclosure and use a quality driver such as the Dayton Reference lsiberian mentioned and cross it higher, say 200-300hz. You'll reduce distortion from the mid as a benefit (lower excursion).

I was discussing a similar implementation recently for my surrounds using a ported JBL 2225 below the 2030P.
In that case, I've already got the cabinet size for the berry drivers.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
So in terms of the Dayton RS woofers, are we talking about the 8"/10" woofers, or the 10"/12" subwoofers?

Either way, I'd love it if you could go ahead and sim some stuff lsiberian. That apparently is not my forte.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Turns out wMax just built a 7" LF add on for the 2030p's. He's working on designing a single cabinet version.

I guess this project will take place off the forum since he's banned.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Turns out wMax just built a 7" LF add on for the 2030p's. He's working on designing a single cabinet version.

I would like to see this. Are there pic's of this build or posts describing it?

P

prospectm

Audiophyte
I would like to see this. Are there pic's of this build or posts describing it?

Where did you read/find this? I'd love to see the progress and basically any info about this!

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Where did you read/find this? I'd love to see the progress and basically any info about this!
I talk to Chris on a regular basis.

I'd would like to post some details on this project and a log, but it wouldn't be fair to Chris since he's doing most of the work here.

No one here actually ended up helping me either.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I talk to Chris on a regular basis.

I'd would like to post some details on this project and a log, but it wouldn't be fair to Chris since he's doing most of the work here.

PFFT. Fair and Chris in the same sentence:rolleyes: Others might be interested in the project whether they helped you or not, being apart of the community. Talk your ball and go home I guess.:p

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
PFFT. Fair and Chris in the same sentence:rolleyes: Others might be interested in the project whether they helped you or not, being apart of the community. Talk your ball and go home I guess.:p

I'll gladly take my ball and go home. In the end, I get a great speaker, and Chris gets to do what he does best. The only one who loses out here is the Audioholics community.

Cheers

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
On the first page, two members were willing to help or advise, but you even stated that Chris had optimal box measurements, implying that you will rely on him

I'll gladly take my ball and go home. In the end, I get a great speaker, and Chris gets to do what he does best. The only one who loses out here is the Audioholics community.

Cheers
The point I was making was others might be interested if you were going to build it, but if its Chris doing the building "In the end" you might be waiting till then for your speaker, and as for Chris doing what he does best, there is no denying that he knows his stuff, but theft is still theft; Caveat Emptor. The community, I'm sure, would love to see, help, and comment if allowed;) If a man crush is getting the way I understand :)

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The only one who loses out here is the Audioholics community.
You sound happy about that and you're probably right ... just don't forget that you're still part of that community, like RandyB, like me, like Matt and like Jerry Love ... all having shared in the joy that awaits you, you pothead.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis