2014 Audioholics Product of Year Award Winners

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
2014 Audioholics Product of the Year Award Winners

2014 was another big year for the A/V industry. The elephant in the room was was Dolby Atmos making its way into the home theater market. The new audio codec is helping to drive the sales of next generation A/V receivers such as the Yamaha RX-A3040 and Denon AVR-X5200W, as well as additional loudspeakers and subwoofers. 2014 was also another year for us to get our ears on a lot of cool equipment. We've come up with a list of our favorites in categories ranging from inexpensive gadgets to high end loudspeakers. Curious who made the cut?

Check out the winners of Audioholics' 2014 Product of the Year Awards!

What are the best AV products you've demoed this year? Let us know what makes your list.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I definitely like great sounding speakers with built-in subwoofers that are internally or externally active and you can feed the speakers with LFE/Sub output from the processor. Internally active built-in subs include the Definitive Technology and Golden-Ear towers. Externally active built-in subs include the RBH and XTZ towers.

The great performance of the RBH SX-1212R/P sub didn't surprise me because I knew what the SX-1010 subs can do. I would like to also see the measurement of the $1450 MSRP RBH SX-1212N sub.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
What are the best AV products you've demoed this year? Let us know what makes your list.
I know they're not a new offering, but the Philharmonic 3 speakers easily top my list for 2014.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on very little to no evidence at all here are my Best of 2014 picks
1) Towers - Philharmonic Slim towers
2) Bookshelf - Ascend Sierra-2
3) budget Bookshelf - Wave Crest HLV-1 (by Ascend)
4) Ported sub - Four of HSU VTF3 MK5 HP
5) AVR - Denon AVR-X5200W
6) Streaming Stick - without any doubt,Not even close and by HUGE margin - it's Amazon Fire TV Stick. Beefier hardware capable running full XBMC/Kodi software, to the point of almost making majority of older dedicated HTPC clients obsolete.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Seemed kind of odd to me that the new DT Mythos got very little coverage on here, then suddenly tower of the year??? Where are the measurements? Purely subjective?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite retail budget bookshelf of the year, is the Sony Core bookshelf
http://store.sony.com/3-way-3-driver-bookshelf-speaker-system-zid27-SSCS5/cat-27-catid-Collections-EPIC-Sound-Bars-HAV-Systems

My favorite non retail [due to the mod], is the Philharmonic AA bookshelf

On a side note - I still do not buy into the -3db 85hz response of the NHT
SuperZero. I would also like to see the bracing inside this new version, due
to the fact there was no bracing in the former version - and the price is the
same. Not much room for the bracing inside that small box, and with their
crossover size. However, you do get decent sound for the price and they are
a nice satellite option.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Seemed kind of odd to me that the new DT Mythos got very little coverage on here, then suddenly tower of the year??? Where are the measurements? Purely subjective?
Yes we didn't do many tower reviews this year but I did get to hear the Mythos several times at private demos and thought they deserved the award. Plus I know the designer, Tim Galdwin, sharp dude!

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
2014 Audioholics Product of the Year Award Winners

2014 was another big year for the A/V industry. The elephant in the room was was Dolby Atmos making its way into the home theater market. The new audio codec is helping to drive the sales of next generation A/V receivers such as the Yamaha RX-A3040 and Denon AVR-X5200W, as well as additional loudspeakers and subwoofers. 2014 was also another year for us to get our ears on a lot of cool equipment. We've come up with a list of our favorites in categories ranging from inexpensive gadgets to high end loudspeakers. Curious who made the cut?

Check out the winners of Audioholics' 2014 Product of the Year Awards!

What are the inwall speakers on the table for the "should I buy a new receiver" video? They look like RBH?

Thanks

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What are the inwall speakers on the table for the "should I buy a new receiver" video? They look like RBH?

Thanks
Actually they are the Signature Line from Paradigm. Getting ready to install them and do a formal review.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis