2013 Midpriced AV Receiver Comparison: The Best AVR for $1,000?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
M Code, you hit the nail on the head! The impact/result/problem is not due to moving to China. The Chinese are highly educated, skilled and motivated. The only thing they lack is experience. That will come.. but there is no substitute for experience. Ask any old guy.

Ironic...
Their ex-Sr.Product manager is a good friend, and he told me over the last 20 years he has been responsible for the development/delivery of AVR sales of > 15 million units..
He has done AVRs for Marantz, Sony, Onkyo, Denon, Kenwood, Teac, NAD, Sherwood, JBL, Harman/Kardon..

Just my $0.05.... ;)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Ironic...
Their ex-Sr.Product manager is a good friend, and he told me over the last 20 years he has been responsible for the development/delivery of AVR sales of > 15 million units..
He has done AVRs for Marantz, Sony, Onkyo, Denon, Kenwood, Teac, NAD, Sherwood, JBL, Harman/Kardon..

Just my $0.05.... ;)
Now THAT sounds like experience.

Andreas

Andreas

Junior Audioholic
I bought the x3000 for the digital out to the 2nd zone (outdoor speakers). That and a high school friend is a dealer so I got a smoking price.

The lack pre outs were not a concern.

If I was paying full price the Yamaha would have been my number 1 pick.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I bought the x3000 for the digital out to the 2nd zone (outdoor speakers). That and a high school friend is a dealer so I got a smoking price.

The lack pre outs were not a concern.

If I was paying full price the Yamaha would have been my number 1 pick.

That sounds like my attitude. If I were paying full price (or proportional prices), I would pick the Yamaha among these (or, for that matter, a Yamaha at just about every other price point). But I would not avoid a Denon (or Marantz or ...) for the right price.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I replaced an Onkyo TX-NR808 with a Yamaha Aventage RX-A820 primarily to update to a receiver with standby HDMI pass-thru with reasonable power usage.
The Yamaha definitely runs cooler. The fifth leg *feature* is ridiculous.

YPAO is still heavy handed so I prefer pure direct.
The interface is a bit crude with menus on the side that move to the bottom and then get vertical.

Operationally, it is fast and works well.

- Rich

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
How about a yamaha rx a2020 for the same price as the x4000?
I personally would get the Yamaha. Judging from complaints online, Yamaha is about as reliable as you can get. Also, the RX-A2020 has a lot of nice features, with good video up-conversion, that is useful if you still watch things that are not HD.

You can read about both of these units:

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-a2020-aventage

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x4000-review

Of course, even though you can get this receiver now for $1000, this is really not the right thread for this discussion (that people before you improperly introduced to this thread), as the prices for the article are not street prices, but retail prices. The reason being, of course, that street prices are variable and cannot be counted on over time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would still get the Denon X4000 for the Audyssey XT32 dual Sub EQ Dynamic EQ.

I used to be "Pure direct" and "Pure Analog" and all that. But I will never go back to Pure Direct because of my experience with Dynamic EQ sub EQ. It has forever changed my audio perspective.

So if Yamaha does not have an answer to this invaluable feature, it's no contest IMO.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure if this is the thread to discuss your question. Start a new thread in the Receivers and Pre-pro section.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, like the less costly TX-NR525, the TX-NR828 does not support Airplay, which could be a big con if you’re an Apple fan.
Well, technically airplay is optional with add-on gadget for another $199 cost, but given today's market price of 828 is about $850, extra $200 (or much less) does not push it much pass 1k price point ....

But as for me, I would rather a bit pay extra and get X4000 or 929 - both could be found much less than their retail prices and fit the 1k cost.

I have 805 going 5 years strong and honestly I have no plans to change it, less it fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But back to subject, I assume Onkyo's part will offer better integration
How so? Just looking at it, the Onkyo doesn't appear to do anything special, offering optical digital & analog audio connections, as well as a composite video output. I'm not seeing any special proprietary connections.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How so? Just looking at it, the Onkyo doesn't appear to do anything special, offering optical digital & analog audio connections, as well as a composite video output. I'm not seeing any special proprietary connections.
look closer :) - it has an RI port -
while an RI connection centralizes control of your system into one main remote
I know it's not magic, but more of minor convenience feature, still more than Airport express or apple tv box would do

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
look closer :) - it has an RI port -

I know it's not magic, but more of minor convenience feature, still more than Airport express or apple tv box would do
I don't know about the Apple TV, but the Airport Express doesn't need it in the first place as it's always on and ready to rumble.

S

Sathishdholic

Audiophyte
Useless review...seriously Audioholics?

What a horrendous and horrible review. Just going by the feature list? Nothing to do with what is core and critical to these receivers, sound and video? Gosh, never expected such a pathetic approach from respected Audioholic reviewers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What a horrendous and horrible review. Just going by the feature list? Nothing to do with what is core and critical to these receivers, sound and video? Gosh, never expected such a pathetic approach from respected Audioholic reviewers.
You obviously missed the page title where the article was clearly labeled a preview comparison NOT a review, but thank you for holding such high regards for our reviews. WE do expend great effort in our formal reviews with details and measurements.

S

Sathishdholic

Audiophyte
Gene,

the title reads "2013 Midpriced AV Receiver Comparison: The Best AVR for $1,000?", where does it say preview comparison? Also one key thing being missed out is the ability to drive difficult loads/ nominal impedance. Pioneer with the D3 amp topology is only one in this pack to be able to do that - drive 4ohm speakers without issues. Isn't that an important criteria as well? May be users at this level of AVR are using the more common 8 and 6 ohm speakers, still should have been called out.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Gene,

the title reads "2013 Midpriced AV Receiver Comparison: The Best AVR for $1,000?", where does it say preview comparison? Also one key thing being missed out is the ability to drive difficult loads/ nominal impedance. Pioneer with the D3 amp topology is only one in this pack to be able to do that - drive 4ohm speakers without issues. Isn't that an important criteria as well? May be users at this level of AVR are using the more common 8 and 6 ohm speakers, still should have been called out.

You can read about the Pioneer SC-79 9.1 A/V Receiver - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity.
This worries me a bit:

With a 1 kHz sine wave at 2 volts input as the test signal, THD+N was 019%. The harmonics are higher than expected, and the odd harmonics are larger than the even. The harmonics also do not reduce significantly with increasing harmonic order that you would normally expect.
I believe thatTHD+N include the harmonics produced +/- 250Hz so I do not think that stats tell the whole story.

- Rich

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis