2010 Great Northwest GTG

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
The last pair pictured is Nate's Audio T5's. A shipping delay made them late for the main event, but RJ is planning a separate report on them.

In that same vein, Usher was kind enough to ship us a pair of their new SW-520 Bass Stands along with the X-718's. We'll let you know how they performed with the S-520 bookshelves.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Without sounding like a "fan boy"; what stands out the most is the consistent great reviews of the sierra's and the cost comparisons. For those without all the big bucks to shell out, they look like a steal;)

GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
Without sounding like a "fan boy"; what stands out the most is the consistent great reviews of the sierra's and the cost comparisons. For those without all the big bucks to shell out, they look like a steal;)
Well you should know since you own them... :p And I too btw... I think the review was pretty spot on, I'll put on green the comments I agree, red those I disagree:

Resolution - According to our auditoners, this pair's weak link may have been its ability to resolve the finest details. But it was still competitive. "Bit sibilant", "Nice and detailed", "Very good but could be better", "Bold vocals", "Bright", "Clean but a bit thin".
Bass - The pair did better with the bass production. "Clean", "Super", "Lacks ultra-deep but is strong", "Rich".
Midrange - Mids appear to be another element of strength for the Sierras. "Neutral", "Nice", "I like, but they could be a bit warmer for me".
Transparency - And the beat keeps on as we understand what all the fuss is about over these speakers. Obviously the folks at Ascend are doing something right. "Clear", "Distinct", "Naturally clear", "Smooth", "Fine", "Good".
Transients - Transients played into this speaker's hands. "Handled shifts nicely", "I want this speaker", "Good", "Very good".
Visceral Impact - Pretty good impact on the audience. "Nice, present", "Very good", "Good but a little intense".
Soundstage - From this problematic element, the Sierras received a nice approval. ""Okay", "Very good", "Great".
Dynamics - These speakers kept up with the more dynamic and lightning fast units. "Very good", "Great", "I'm there", "Superb".
Other Comments - "Bit intense, but overall excellent", "Stood out for fullness of bass", "I'd buy".
Almost no red... sibilance, never really noticed... Bright, it's a bit the opposite, might be even a tiny bit recessed, I've read some talk a bit about how the tweeter might even lack a bit of presence, which the new NrT tweeter should improve. The NrT also supposedly improves resolution/detail, so this could really put the Sierra in the top of the class, so to say; be even closer to the 2000$+ boys and the such.

But still very interesting to see them compared to serious speakers, and I think I agree which seems to be the general consensus here, very good performance overall, just a little bit of detail/resolution lacking next to the best out there. For the price, can't really go wrong... :) Also the new stained finishes are supposed to look very good. Only own a pair of B-Stock Piano Black, but the new colored finishes are supposed to be quite nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
Anyone know what's up with the Tyler speakers? Last time I went to their website, it seemed like they had cut most of their lines, only had 2 remaining, the 'Decade' and Pros... http://www.tyleracoustics.com/product.html So the Linbrook, Taylo and all seem discontinued?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Joe & RJ

Thanks for all your work and effort to organize this. The write up is excellent. I understand how hard it is to do all that, and you did a great job.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Joe & RJ

Thanks for all your work and effort to organize this. The write up is excellent. I understand how hard it is to do all that, and you did a great job.
I agree, this was no small undertaking; you couldn't meet two nicer guys.
Their wives get lots of credit for helping and allowing us strangers into their home.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'd like to post a big THANK YOU to Frank Van Alstine for his generous support for our event. Audio by Van Alstine gear received little in the way of notice at the GTG because we were focused first and foremost on the speaker auditions. But the Insight amp and preamp/DAC quietly and transparently pushed all the speakers with great ease and accuracy.

The units worked without a hiccup and had clean, quiet, effortless power to spare. The speakers appreciated it. We appreciated it.

Thanks again, Frank!

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
A very nice read. Definitely a lot of effort/work to put this all together, it is much appreciated.

For those of you that were involved, and had wives/girlfriends contribute to or tolerate the GTG....take them out and do something nice for them. :)

It would also be nice to hear from individuals that were there.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
We got a couple of photos of the new Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers (that we had forgotten to take during the GTG). Here is what they looked like close-up. Not bad for a pilot production run! :)

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
Just wanted to say thanks to Tomorrow, AverageJoe and everyone else involved for putting this together and for including our Verus Grand Bookshelves. I'm glad to hear everyone enjoyed listening to them before they officially launch. They should be up on the site with their specs in the next couple of weeks.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
The Nate's Audio T5 monitors that were supposed to be part of the critical listening/auditioning during the GNW GTG arrived on the Monday following. While too late for inclusion in our event and couldn't be compared or contrasted with the other 6 speaker pairs, I did a little review...which is posted over on AVS. Here you go. (The review itself should not be part of this thread.) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280387

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It would be nice if someone actually wrote up a formal review of this event on our forum especially since the AH E-store fronted the lunch.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
It would be nice if someone actually wrote up a formal review of this event on our forum especially since the AH E-store fronted the lunch.
You mean other than what I've done? What more would you like to see? :confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You mean other than what I've done? What more would you like to see?
I honestly didn't sift through this whole thread but it would be nice if someone can take each product that was at the show and create a dedicated thread on the loudspeaker forum with a page title that matches the product (IE. Usher S-520 Bookshelf Speaker Review) and post pics and the review of the product.

From an SEO perspective its always better to had dedicated reviews of each product than simply lumping all of the products into one review post.

majorloser

majorloser

Heck, I'd be happy with a review on just the Salk speakers. Those thing are beautiful. The Tyler's would be a close secnond, but the plain maple just doesn't have the same visual "pop".

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot to mention, while at the GTG I won a raffle; and I never win anything.:)
I was lucky enough to win the Aperion Home Audio Link System
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Aperion-Home-Audio-Linktrade-System,242,84,771.aspx

Came in the mail last week.
It's something I'll use with an MP3 player and my speakers out on my patio, powered by an amp and pre-amp in my basement.

Thanks to all that were responsible for the GTG, and thanks Aperion Audio for the cool & generous prize!
It wasn't just a GTG, it was an adventure!:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis