20% Tax on Items from Mexico to pay for wall...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Because Trump promised it would be the best looking wall, the bestest, so he was conferred with for the aesthetic...
But wouldn't this kind of project require an exterior designer?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But wouldn't this kind of project require an exterior designer?
Maybe one wasn't available that specialized in walls on short notice :) The stupidity of the wall just boggles the mind.

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe one wasn't available that specialized in walls on short notice :) The stupidity of the wall just boggles the mind.
Why do people put up a fence around their yard?

Politics aside, why are other countries allowed to enforce their border, but the US isn't? Anyone who thinks it's possible to waltz into most countries and settle knows nothing about it. For that matter, Canada doesn't even allow visitors who have more than one DUI- I know someone who wanted to go to Banff for a ski trip and they wouldn't allow him into the country.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We enforce our border, we just have a lot of it and its very hard. I'm a career Customs broker so am pretty familiar with the system. A wall will cost more than it would benefit us. Canada considers a dui a felony, unlike here in the US; they didn't originally want to make it that stringent but GWB insisted....

Politics aside, why are other countries allowed to enforce their border, but the US isn't? Anyone who thinks it's possible to waltz into most countries and settle knows nothing about it. For that matter, Canada doesn't even allow visitors who have more than one DUI- I know someone who wanted to go to Banff for a ski trip and they wouldn't allow him into the country.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
If the wall is such a bad idea, apart from Mexico being adamant they won't pay towards it, what's Mexico's objection to its existence?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
A DUI is a Criminal Code offence in Canada and admissibility is based on the equivalent crime in Canada. If your crime carries a prison sentence of 5 years or more in Canada, then you can't enter Canada at all. But for lesser crimes, there is a process to enter without issue. But you don't just show up at the border and expect them to turn a blind eye.

It works the same way going to the US, by the way. Any conviction and you are ineligible, but again there is a process to follow to be allowed entry, but it can't be done at the border itself. I'm not sure how anyone would expect any nation to offer an open border to criminals.

The big issue I see with regard to Mexico is that Mexico buys more US-made products than any other nation if you live in quite a few states. Wages in Mexico are roughly the same as China these days; the infrastructure doesn't support some manufacturing, such as electronics, which is why China still makes the majority of that category. Perhaps more to the point, it is unlikely that anyone posting in this forum doesn't own some PRC-manufactured item.

But if you want to buy a refrigerator or freezer, you can practically guarantee it was made in Mexico, as more than 90% of that product category is. And Mexico paid a huge price to sign on to NAFTA as it essentially destroyed their domestic corn industry. Virtually all the corn consumed in Mexico today comes from the US. In the last 20 years Mexico has increased it's purchase of US made goods by more than 300%. Mexico buys more US made goods than every other nation on Earth except Canada.

Trade is a two-way street. An import tariff on Mexican manufactured goods will almost certainly result in an import tariff in Mexico on US-made goods. I am not sure what the US will do with regard to Trump's stump promises ... the Republican Party is a Free Trade party, the Democrats are the Protectionists. It was Republicans who negotiated the Canada-US FTA (1988) which was the blueprint for NAFTA, and Bush instigated negotiations in 1990 and all three parties signed NAFTA in December 1992, adding Mexico to the trade pact.

So we have a US President who is at odds with his own party. He may not be able to implement anything in the end. My guess is he will try, fail, and blame others for that failure. But that is just a guess.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

We enforce our border, we just have a lot of it and its very hard. I'm a career Customs broker so am pretty familiar with the system. A wall will cost more than it would benefit us. Canada considers a dui a felony, unlike here in the US; they didn't originally want to make it that stringent but GWB insisted....
So, deported illegals who are felons returning several times is considered 'enforcing' our border laws? People are dying because this is happening!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the wall is such a bad idea, apart from Mexico being adamant they won't pay towards it, what's Mexico's objection to its existence?
It's offensive?
So, deported illegals who are felons returning several times is considered 'enforcing' our border laws? People are dying because this is happening!
You draw strange conclusions. Watch a lot of Fox news or something?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

The US is most certainly allowed to enforce their border and from what we've been hearing about up here, since Jan 20th, very vigorously. Here's an example:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-denied-entry-us-immigrant-visa-1.4011202

Whether it's accurate, or not, there is a rapidly forming sense that if a Canadian wants to visit the US, they had better not be sporting an excessive amount of melanin. And, it wouldn't hurt to adhere to the Judeo-Christian mindset...

There has also been a significant increase in the number of refugees in the US crossing into Canada because they are afraid that they will be put on a flight to their home countries. They are risking life and limb to cross the border at unofficial crossings in remote areas in the depth of winter in order to get a chance to claim asylum. Because of the "safe third country" agreement, if they show up at official crossings, they will be turned back because they have already claimed asylum in the US. So far, they've been generally greeted with sympathy. If the stream turns into a flood when the weather improves this spring, who knows how that might change?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's offensive?

Offensive? That may be the narrative that is being promoted but I doubt that Mexico would be peppering the US with something like 50 consulates and dumping 15 million to provide assistance for those in the US illegally. That seems like a lot of effort in support of umbrage. IMO, it's because of the monies that are sent to Mexico which is estimated at 8 billion. It's to their financial advantage to keep the cash flowing. It's all about power and money.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Offensive? That may be the narrative that is being promoted but I doubt that Mexico would be peppering the US with something like 50 consulates and dumping 15 million to provide assistance for those in the US illegally. That seems like a lot of effort in support of umbrage. IMO, it's because of the monies that are sent to Mexico which is estimated at 8 billion. It's to their financial advantage to keep the cash flowing. It's all about power and money.
Not everyone thinks about politics all the time, nor even the economics involved altho they certainly play a role. I was just saying that Mexicans (the people) find it offensive, as do apparently a majority of US citizens.

highfigh

highfigh

Another assumption about where people get their information. How fresh.

It has happened here in MKE, it happens frequently in states along the border. You could look in ANY news source for this and you will have no trouble finding info supporting my comment- I'm referring to murders, vehicular homicide, deaths caused by DUI and that doesn't even include the drugs coming in from South of the US border. Meth is making a big comeback, Heroin is cheaper than ever and if you don't see this as a problem, why don't you come to my neighborhood and explain that to my neighbors who lost their daughter and someone from a block away, who lost their son- both to heroin. This is a suburb of Milwaukee and it's not people who let their kids raise themselves- it's happening all over the country and this crap is coming in from Mexico.

The best way to control who gets in and who goes out is to control the number of points of access. If that's not possible, the only thing we'll have is more chaos.

highfigh

highfigh

The US is most certainly allowed to enforce their border and from what we've been hearing about up here, since Jan 20th, very vigorously. Here's an example:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/canadian-denied-entry-us-immigrant-visa-1.4011202

Whether it's accurate, or not, there is a rapidly forming sense that if a Canadian wants to visit the US, they had better not be sporting an excessive amount of melanin. And, it wouldn't hurt to adhere to the Judeo-Christian mindset...

There has also been a significant increase in the number of refugees in the US crossing into Canada because they are afraid that they will be put on a flight to their home countries. They are risking life and limb to cross the border at unofficial crossings in remote areas in the depth of winter in order to get a chance to claim asylum. Because of the "safe third country" agreement, if they show up at official crossings, they will be turned back because they have already claimed asylum in the US. So far, they've been generally greeted with sympathy. If the stream turns into a flood when the weather improves this spring, who knows how that might change?
If Canada sees a flood of immigrants, you'll finally know why the US sees this as a problem. The US has an estimated 12 million illegals that's about 1/3 of the entire population of Canada. How would you deal with 3.8% additional people in Canada who impose themselves on the country's resources, cause a lot of problems and force the country to foot the bill? I'm not saying that all illegals cause problems, but the cost of dealing with the bad ones is unsustainable. In California, their prison system has a large number of illegals and the dominant gang is MS13- you DO NOT want them in Canada.

Here's a report from 1994- the number of illegals was less than 4 million and it was seen as a major problem- one word used in the report to describe it is 'crisis'. 23 years later, I don't think anyone would consider the situation to have improved.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/230/220582.pdf

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
It's amusing to watch the Wall Advocates still spout the same drivel as if it were fact.

Walls don't stop airplanes, folks! Illegal immigrants cannot receive social benefits without a social security number. And if we grant amnesty, all of those immigrants (many of whom do pay taxes already!) will ALL then pay in to our system, which is good for everyone. Or we can blow Billions of dollars on a wall that will not do anything. Kinda like the war on drugs...

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Not everyone thinks about politics all the time, nor even the economics involved altho they certainly play a role. I was just saying that Mexicans (the people) find it offensive, as do apparently a majority of US citizens.
Sure, they're being played. I'd hardly think the Mexican gov't to explain the economic benefit of not having to provide services to millions of people who take up space in another country while they continue to pump billions into themexican economy. Win win situation. Instead we'll just call upon defending their honor.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's amusing to watch the Wall Advocates still spout the same drivel as if it were fact.

Walls don't stop airplanes, folks! Illegal immigrants cannot receive social benefits without a social security number. And if we grant amnesty, all of those immigrants (many of whom do pay taxes already!) will ALL then pay in to our system, which is good for everyone. Or we can blow Billions of dollars on a wall that will not do anything. Kinda like the war on drugs...
You're right. They don't stop planes, nor boats and subs, nor tunnels. The Coast Guard can take care of the sea and I suspect technology can provide approaches for the rest.

As far as illegals not receiving social benefits, not all benefits are a result of social security. Education comes to mind. So does medical assistance. Increased services such as fire, police, erc. have to keep pace. Someone has to pay. While I don't discount the positive contributions to the overall economy, it comes at a cost. There's an info graphic at this site that looks to estimate this cost by state.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, they're being played. I'd hardly think the Mexican gov't to explain the economic benefit of not having to provide services to millions of people who take up space in another country while they continue to pump billions into themexican economy. Win win situation. Instead we'll just call upon defending their honor.
How about the billions they pump into our own economy? That you read the crap like Rich Swier spouts explains a lot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another assumption about where people get their information. How fresh.

It has happened here in MKE, it happens frequently in states along the border. You could look in ANY news source for this and you will have no trouble finding info supporting my comment- I'm referring to murders, vehicular homicide, deaths caused by DUI and that doesn't even include the drugs coming in from South of the US border. Meth is making a big comeback, Heroin is cheaper than ever and if you don't see this as a problem, why don't you come to my neighborhood and explain that to my neighbors who lost their daughter and someone from a block away, who lost their son- both to heroin. This is a suburb of Milwaukee and it's not people who let their kids raise themselves- it's happening all over the country and this crap is coming in from Mexico.

The best way to control who gets in and who goes out is to control the number of points of access. If that's not possible, the only thing we'll have is more chaos.
The war on drugs is mostly to blame for this circumstance. I've lost one of my best friends to heroin, and it wasn't due to the Mexicans, it was his own problem as likely were the two you're referring to....or perhaps even their parents'....I have no idea though and sounds like you don't either. Drugs come in from all over, and Customs is fairly ineffective now and in the past at doing much about it. Drug law reformation would do far more good than a wall ever will.

PS I've lived a lot closer to the border than you, spent many years in southern as well as northern California; grew up in a Chicago suburb, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis