20% Tax on Items from Mexico to pay for wall...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And when did the Republicans make it an issue?

California as around 30K illegal Mexicans in their prisons- is that not a problem? Two more Mexicans were found in the trunk of a car crossing the border two days ago- is that not a problem, knowing that it's far from an isolated incident? You know all of those gangs in the US? Are you familiar with MS13, La Familia, Mexican Mafia, Norteños and Sureños? Ties to the drug cartels aren't a problem? The increased flow of heroin from Mexico isn't a problem? The estimated $28Billion sent to people in Mexico in 2014 (just an example- the estimate for all money sent out is over $120B), tax-free isn't a problem? I keep hearing that they're good for our economy, but $28B leaving, which is far less than the amount that had been leaving, may never come back- how does that help the US economy?

Most of the Cocaine coming into the US is from Peru, which is also the place where most US currency is counterfeited.

If the Republicans have gotten it wrong, here's a link from CNN-

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/08/politics/immigrants-crime/
Just indicates the drug wars are an abject failure.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Castro did exactly that during the Cuban Boat Lift 1980:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/criminals-in-exodus-from-cuba-us-fears-castro-emptying-his-jails-into-florida-1386288.html
"Officials in Washington say they have learned from sources in Havana that, the releases from Cuban prisons began last weekend. President Bill Clinton is acutely conscious of the effectiveness of the Cuban tactic of sending killers and thieves along with genuine refugees: in 1980 his own political career was almost ended when 18,000 Cuban boat people, mostly former prisoners, rioted at a US military base, Fort Chafee in Arkansas."
Cuba’s solution becomes the U.S.’s problem
Moreover, Castro wanted to create problems for the U.S. while solving problems in Cuba. He had many of the street crime and even murder prisoners in jails as well as some political prisoners and the patients in mental hospitals and asylums transported to Mariel. He forced the Cuban-Americans to take several of his problem cases for each relative he allowed them to take.

As we realized Cubans were being landed up and down the Florida Keys as well as in Miami by the thousands, most were not relatives, and worse many were common criminals or insane, we began to see we were facing an invasion of a type never envisioned in our worst nightmare. Of course none of these Cubans newly arriving in the U.S. had visas; most had no documents, and there was no way to figure out who most really were. Mixed in were the mothers, fathers, aunts, and children of the Cuban exiles, but many of them also had no documents.
Wait... are you saying because Cuba did it that you actually believe Mexico is doing this?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting map; not sure where it shows it agrees with you:
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37889032
This map neither agrees nor disputes ShadyJ's assertion:
Trump was a crap candidate too, and he only won by a few select counties in a few select swing states.
This map shows the increase in republican votes as a percent by county as compared to Romney vs Obama in 2012. I am genuinely surprised there are counties that had no increase (white counties) as I thought Obama was more popular than Hillary across the board.

But the point is the map shows what the increase in votes was vs Romney's performance. Say, if Trump performed 6% better, that county may have voted 30% for Romney and 36% for Trump, leaving plenty of room for the Democrats to win the county both times.
IOW, because a county is red in this map doesn't mean that county voted Republican.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If the polls asked for opinions on "Obama, or Hillary/Trump?", I can see why Obama's popularity rose but if they were strictly asking about what he was doing at the end of his term, I don't know why the increase occurred.
The shadow of the on-coming Hillary/Trump cluster was on people's minds whether it was part of the question or not.

Think of it this way, If you took a poll on whether global warming was real, it is safe to expect a few percentage points difference in the results between conducting it on an unusually hot vs unusually cold day even though the temperature on that one day has little actual relevance to the question.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Wait... are you saying because Cuba did it that you actually believe Mexico is doing this?
I can only give you my take. IMO whereas Cuba was proactive, Mexico is largely indifferent to who crosses.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can only give you my take. IMO whereas Cuba was proactive, Mexico is largely indifferent to who crosses.
You have to admit, Cuba sending their criminals and mentally ill people in the 1980 exodus was a pretty good prank on a national scale. Castro must have been laughing his ass off.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The funny thing is, immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than normal. If we really wanted to reduce crime, the thing to do is deport natural born citizens.
As a group, maybe. The ones who are in gangs more than make up for that.

I'd be happy if people would just think before they act or speak- might cut down on violence and crime.

Aside from "Don't tell me what I can and can't do!", what is it about people that makes them go to such extremes of violence now, compared to the past? I remember how little it took to shock people when I was a kid and now, those acts mean nothing.

Most people can act in a civil manner, but it seems that those who can't, don't want to.

highfigh

highfigh

Ahh, but you are sounding like Bill Clinton; coming from a place of fairness, not the fear behind Trump's speeches about immigration.
You take that back!

Trump said he would do this when he ran- at worst, many of these people might have waited to see if he would, before planning their travel. I'm not defending him, but if I'm uncertain about taking a trip, I'm fine with staying put until I have an idea of what's coming.

I agree that this should have been defined, made public before implementing and done in stages, but I think the US needs to be allowed to control their borders the same way as other countries and the rest of the World is telling us that we're a bunch of weapons-grade A-holes for trying to stop people entering when some countries allow NOBODY to enter from anywhere, or allow no refugees.

highfigh

highfigh

No networks, but large swaths of conservative media.

The Bundy Ranch stand-off? The occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge?

I think a hefty chunk of Trump's core supporters are deeply racist, and many of the people who voted for him are, at the very least, indifferent to racism. Only 26% of eligible voters actually cast their ballots for Trump, so I don't think his actions reflect the will of an entire half the American people. His current approval ratings certainly reflect this.

You think a president should spend half his time in office fretting over how the media is reporting the status of his popularity?
If only 26% voted for Trump, why aren't you mentioning the fact that roughly the same number voted for Hillary? Why even bother to post that stat when it's irrelevant. People are passive-aggressive- they don't bother to vote and then, they complain about the winner.

Approval ratings can reflect whatever the pollster wants and if you were to pol Trump supporters, Hillary's numbers would be about the same.

I agree that some are racist and some are indifferent, but it's not only on one side of the aisle.

highfigh

highfigh

It was more like a $40 to $200million fortune he inherited, and started with large cash infusions from dad while alive...from what I have read. I'd imagine in NY real estate he could have done very well without doing much, too (or any large city's real estate in the last 30 years pretty much if you're a player). Trump U he was accused of basically bilking the students in a real estate seminar type setting and had to settle three lawsuits out of court for $25million rather than going to trial during his presidency (and be deposed while president elect after the election). He still has other lawsuits pending against him, too. Hard to really know what he even declared to the government on his tax returns since he didn't release any and his business is not a public corporation (his company was his parent's real estate company renamed to the Trump Organization IIRC). Donald claimed to be worth $10b but seems its less than $4b...maybe, balance sheets can be deceiving. He still needs and apparently has huge bank loans, wonder if he'll get some payback from Russian banks after he enables Putin to cash in on oil with ol' Rex. We'll see.....
I thought you were referring to an earlier part of his life, not inheritance. Sorry.

That's still not "too big to fail". Corporations borrow money- it's far less risky than using their own. Most people don't pay cash for their house why should a corporation pay cash to build or remodel a hotel, convention center or skyscraper?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought you were referring to an earlier part of his life, not inheritance. Sorry.

That's still not "too big to fail". Corporations borrow money- it's far less risky than using their own. Most people don't pay cash for their house why should a corporation pay cash to build or remodel a hotel, convention center or skyscraper?
This is an interesting read on the subject http://www.investopedia.com/updates/donald-trump-rich/
Still sounds like too rich to fail to me.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
All this discussion is based on what we "think" is right or wrong. That's why there will never be an "answer". The real answer is so simple. Rather than right or wrong, let's talk about what is legal and illegal.

We have a process to make and change laws. It is the legislative branch. It is why they are elected and why they are there. If you don't like a law, work to have it changed. But in the meantime IT IS THE LAW.

Illegal aliens, or whatever else you want to call them, are illegal. Sanctuary cities are illegal. Pot smoking states are illegal. It is not up to you, or me, or the mayor, or the governor, or the president to decide which laws they don't like and choose not to enforce.

So if the "majority" of voters agree with the Democrats, why hasn't the law changed? Because our founding fathers didn't want a few population centers dictating to the whole country.

I'm glad to see an administration who I think will finally enforce the law instead of just ignoring the parts they don't like. (BTW, I would love to see the law changed so each state controls its pot smoking. If NC ever went over, I'd be first in line. I have fond memories of 40 years ago. o_O)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Civil disobedience has been a part of our history for a long time :)

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Herbu, are you sure you're not high right now?

More fundamental than "legal" vs. "illegal" under current code are the facts, and ideological divides preclude any discussion as each side comes at it with their own "alternative facts" and selective memory.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So if the "majority" of voters agree with the Democrats, why hasn't the law changed? Because our founding fathers didn't want a few population centers dictating to the whole country.
No, because changing laws requires an act of Congress. Changing state laws is easier.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't need a stinkin' wall. Simply move our military bases (Camp Pendleton, Edwards AFB, etc) closer to the Mexican border and make the ENTIRE border areas a military training/gunnery range and seed the Rio Grande with piranha or crocodiles.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Colbert gathered some experts for a calculation of wall costs :)

Wonder how many actual submitted bids by the deadline?

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Colbert gathered some experts for a calculation of wall costs :)

Wonder how many actual submitted bids by the deadline?
That's a very good question and would be very interested to see the bidders on this project...we know it won't be the contractors that Trump didn't pay...lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis