2 Zone Outdoor System Advice

N

noni

Audiophyte
I'm putting together a back-yard 2 Zone audio system. Zone 1 is for the TV and Zone 2 is for the pool area. The components are listed below. The Onkyo receiver has a 2 Zone system built in but I found out after I purchased it, if you're running in 5.1 for Zone 1, Zone 2 doesn't get any power from the receiver so an additional receiver is required to power Zone 2. My low-cost solution was the AudioSource Amp-100 (50 @ 8ohms) which worked fine for the Zone 2 speakers but did not have enough power to also power the TIC passive sub.

I'm looking for a better amp for Zone 2 that should be able to handle driving the 4 65W 6ohm speakers and the Tic GS-50 8" sub. Not to get too crazy but if it had enough power, I'd add another GS-50 8" somewhere but it's not necessary.

Any advice would be great. I'm looking to spend less than $400 if possible and would like to have 1 AMP for Zone 2 rather than simply buying another Audiosource AMP-100.

INFO:
Receiver
Onkyo HT-RC560 7.2-Channel 3D-Ready Network A/V Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth & Wi-Fi

Zone 1
5.1 Speakers (Center/FR/FL/RR/RL) No Subwoofer in Zone 1

Zone 2
AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier (Replace this)
4 Yamaha NS-AW390BL 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers
TIC GS-50 8" 250W Passive Sub

Diagram

Thanks!:D

N

noni

Audiophyte
Thanks, I actually did buy a Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier. It works great but the form factor is a problem as I need to have the equipment inside a weatherproof enclosure. To save space, I was looking for one AMP that might drive both the 4 speakers and the sub.

I can't link yet because I'm new to the forums but I saw the AMP below that looks like it might work. Reviews are mixed on it but wondering if it would work for what I'm trying to achieve?

Pyle PTA3004U 3000-Watt 2-Channel Amplifier with USB/SD Readers and Built-In Crossover (3000-Watt)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
stay away from pyle and pyramid... Whats wrong with the HSU I linked? I don't think one amp is going to be a great idea... You will need to go with something like that has 5 channels and then you need to crossover the sub so it doesnt get highs...

See with the hsu amplifier, it will do all the crossing for you, plug your zone 2 into its input and then you other 4 ch amp into its high pass so your mains don't get lows....

another option is a parasound zquatro http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zquattro.php and then a zamp for the sub running mono http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zampv3.php but then you need to use fmods to cross them and you will have to adjust the gain in the back of the amps.... them are nice and small but you will be over budget,

N

noni

Audiophyte
I love the idea of the HSU since it would have enough power to add another sub. The desire to keep with one unit was simply the thought that it would be easier to cool the enclosure and the fact that I custom built the enclosure to fit the Onkyo Receiver and the Amp. If there isn't a good single unit option, the HSU would work nicely. I'll end up rebuilding the enclosure and adding a few more ventilation fans to keep the air circulating. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
I simply run my zone 2 through a second amplifier witch does the speakers, you don't really need a sub out doors let's face it.

Sent via magic for sorcery

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have 2 outdoor subs, they work well... Bryce with that thinking you really don't need built in speakers outside, just bring a boombox, lol...:D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Haha, I have 4 speakers and 2 subs but part of my out door is closed in and has a gym.

N

noni

Audiophyte
Haha, I have 4 speakers and 2 subs but part of my out door is closed in and has a gym.

Those Yamaha outdoor speakers are great but even adding the one sub I have added a lot of depth to the sound. I think with the HSU I'll add another sub on the other side of the pool.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
dual subs outside is much better, I had one and added another... With the pool running {you cant hear our pump} but the splashing and water moving it gets loud out there, the dual subs keep everything sounding full...

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
My pumps are in behind the gym, so you can't here them from the pool but in saying that with a gathering it does it loud out there lucky for me I have the dual 12s on a 1500rms amp does the job for outside

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis