2 x SVS SB2000 or 2 x RBH I-12e or 1 of each?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is 19hz not deep bass? Plus add room gain for this size of room.
The SB-2000 isn't digging down to 19 Hz meaningfully. Even with room gain, it just doesn't have a whole lot of displacement. I don't mean to rip on it, I do like the 2000 series subwoofers from SVS. The RBH subs will have far more deep bass capability than the SB-2000, but they aren't properly comparable, because the SB-2000 is sealed, and that puts it at a big disadvantage with respect to deep bass.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
The SB-2000 isn't digging down to 19 Hz meaningfully. Even with room gain, it just doesn't have a whole lot of displacement. I don't mean to rip on it, I do like the 2000 series subwoofers from SVS. The RBH subs will have far more deep bass capability than the SB-2000, but they aren't properly comparable, because the SB-2000 is sealed, and that puts it at a big disadvantage with respect to deep bass.
That means SVS lies in their specs?

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not exactly. Iirc the sb2k was actually rated to 17hz. What shady is saying though, is the same thing I was. Basically. In a bathroom sized space, it would be easy for that little sub to hit the numbers but in a real room, not so much. Even if it produces output at 17 or 19hz, it will be at a very low spl. I saw a guy who used 2, sb2k's and was flat to 10hz. But it was like 15-20db down.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...RBH I-12/e... I would go with them bc they are on clearance (cheaper vs sb2000) and will aesthetically match my fronts/center.
Go with the RBH - Deeper bass, on sale, better aesthetic matching for your speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SVS does not lie in their specs. But their +/- 3dB window on the SB-2000 basically means it is 6 dB down at 19 Hz. It will run out of headroom very quickly at 19 Hz. It will not produce a lot of deep bass. If you want something with some real deep bass headroom, look at the PC-2000 or PB-2000.

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
shadyJ is right. When I bought the system for my bedroom I initially went with SB-2000, but was a bit underwhelmed by its performance for movies. I exchanged it for PC-2000 and it's a night and day difference. Not only does the cylindrical sub hit stronger in the 20 Hz region, it also does so with less excursion and hence cleaner.

Motty Marvi

Motty Marvi

Audiophyte
OP here.
I think that based on your recommendations, I will go ahead and order 2 x RBH I-12/e for the living room in the pictures. I'll still measure the space on Sunday, just in case.
They will go deeper, tighter, louder, be more accurate and as a bonus - will match my R55Ti and center both aesthetically and is timbre the correct term here?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OP here.
I think that based on your recommendations, I will go ahead and order 2 x RBH I-12/e for the living room in the pictures. I'll still measure the space on Sunday, just in case.
They will go deeper, tighter, louder, be more accurate and as a bonus - will match my R55Ti and center both aesthetically and is timbre the correct term here?
Timbre isn't a consideration for a sub...thought you changed your name or do you have dual identities now?

Motty Marvi

Motty Marvi

Audiophyte
Timbre isn't a consideration for a sub...thought you changed your name or do you have dual identities now?
Oh crap, i guess i have 2 identities now. The notification emails go to the old identity and I haven't even noticed.

I understand about timbre, iirc it's a consideration in L center R, correct?
But there is an advantage in getting subs from the same line, right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh crap, i guess i have 2 identities now. The notification emails go to the old identity and I haven't even noticed.

Timbre matching across the front is nice but not absolutely necessary IMO, have done mismatched speakers across the front a few times. No advantage in getting subs from the same line except perhaps for aesthetics.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Subs from the same line will match "performance wise" but not in the sense of timbre. Output and extension will be matched.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subs from the same line will match "performance wise" but not in the sense of timbre. Output and extension will be matched.
How would output and extension be matched? Maybe output capabilities would be close, but extension?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How would output and extension be matched? Maybe output capabilities would be close, but extension?
Meant to point out that matching subs will "match" performance wise. Vs subs from different lines or manufacturers. Not in a timbre sense.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yes timbre matching for speakers is a consideration, but subwoofers don't operate in a range where there is timbre. Different subs will have different timings, and Q factors(damping characteristics)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meant to point out that matching subs will "match" performance wise. Vs subs from different lines or manufacturers. Not in a timbre sense.
I can think of some speaker companies whose subs don't match much of anything, lol. I didn't mean timbre and still don't see what extension has to do with it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can think of some speaker companies whose subs don't match much of anything, lol. I didn't mean timbre and still don't see what extension has to do with it.
Basically I misread and was going down the road of mismatched subs. Not subs being mismatched with speakers. Mixing subs with different output/ext capabilities is not the best idea, was my point.
I agree. Some manufacturers seem to match with the woodpile next to my house lol.

HF Integrale

HF Integrale

Audiophyte
Here's an updated picture of the living room with the measurements of the walls/ceiling etc.
By my calculation it's about 3600 cubic feet + it opens to a kitchen/dining room, so I am correct in choosing (on your recommendation) the RBH I-12e, yes?
Living Room RESIZED.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis