2 x SVS SB2000 or 2 x RBH I-12e or 1 of each?

Motty Marvi

Motty Marvi

Audiophyte
I'm in the process of finalizing my first real HiFi system and wanted your advice for subs.
Main speakers are R-55ti.
Surrounds will be Elac Debut B6.
Center is RBH R56ci
Denon X3300H

As the subject notes - should I get the rbh i-12e (it's on sale and will look gorgeous in red with the r55ti) and then add an svs sb2000?
Setup will be in a 3 wall living room that wojld be considered medium, i think.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why mix those two subs? The RBH is ported and the SVS is a sealed model. I'd prefer to setup two identical subs personally.

How's a living room only have three walls? You mean it's open to a larger space? What's total volume of your space open to the subs? For a larger room the ported will likely have an advantage, but 12"s could be too small depending on total space.

Then again if you want matching cabinets, the RBH sounds like the way to go...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How did you narrow it to those two? I think they're probably close enough to go with the RBH, and for ease of setup I'd just get 2 of the same. Why not R5's for surrounds? IMO the speakers should be at least by the same manufacturer. Also, in a medium room, PB2000's would be better. Imo

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB-2000s are for applications that need a small subwoofer or are in a small room. I would go with the RBH subwoofers if you have the space for a subwoofer that large.

Motty Marvi

Motty Marvi

Audiophyte
Why mix those two subs? The RBH is ported and the SVS is a sealed model. I'd prefer to setup two identical subs personally.

How's a living room only have three walls? You mean it's open to a larger space? What's total volume of your space open to the subs? For a larger room the ported will likely have an advantage, but 12"s could be too small depending on total space.

Then again if you want matching cabinets, the RBH sounds like the way to go...
Yes, sorry, it opens up to the kitchen/dining room to the left of the MLP. I'm not sure what the size of the living room is as I can't measure it yet (but I think it's under 2200 cu/ft I think).

The reason for mixing is pure aesthetics at the front to match the towers, but I don't really care - sound is the most important thing for me. (for both movies and music (Hardstyle, Blues, Hard Rock and Metal)).

How did you narrow it to those two? I think they're probably close enough to go with the RBH, and for ease of setup I'd just get 2 of the same. Why not R5's for surrounds? IMO the speakers should be at least by the same manufacturer. Also, in a medium room, PB2000's would be better. Imo
I was set on the SB2000 based on price and very favorable reviews and they were supposed to go in the bedroom (14ftx12ftx9ft) but girlfriend vetoed...
The R5s are not sold any longer (I searched) and are they better than The Elac B6 @ $280/pr

The SB-2000s are for applications that need a small subwoofer or are in a small room. I would go with the RBH subwoofers if you have the space for a subwoofer that large.
I have attached pictures of what the living room looks like. You're still thinking RBH over SVS? I know I definitely want 2 subs there.

Thank you for your quick replies guys. I'm not challenging any of your opinions as I'm a newb that never even heard a proper sub before (the best I have is a logitech Z-5500). I'm here to learn from your experience.
**EDIT** - this is NOT where the TV will go. It will go instead of where that round shelving is.

Attachments

Last edited:
A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Yes, sorry, it opens up to the kitchen/dining room to the left of the MLP. I'm not sure what the size of the living room is as I can't measure it yet (but I think it's under 2200 cu/ft I think).

The reason for mixing is pure aesthetics at the front to match the towers, but I don't really care - sound is the most important thing for me. (for both movies and music (Hardstyle, Blues, Hard Rock and Metal)).

I was set on the SB2000 based on price and very favorable reviews and they were supposed to go in the bedroom (14ftx12ftx9ft) but girlfriend vetoed...
The R5s are not sold any longer (I searched) and are they better than The Elac B6 @ $280/pr

I have attached pictures of what the living room looks like. You're still thinking RBH over SVS? I know I definitely want 2 subs there.

Thank you for your quick replies guys. I'm not challenging any of your opinions as I'm a newb that never even heard a proper sub before (the best I have is a logitech Z-5500). I'm here to learn from your experience.
**EDIT** - this is NOT where the TV will go. It will go instead of where that round shelving is.
I have 2x svs sb2000 in the room 15x15x8. Sounds fantastic. More than enough power for this room which is similar to yours. Feels like they go below nominal 19hz in the room that kind of size.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Why the overkill on subs?

I see this often.

Seems very koyaanisqatsi to me.

Motty Marvi

Motty Marvi

Audiophyte
I have 2x svs sb2000 in the room 15x15x8. Sounds fantastic. More than enough power for this room which is similar to yours. Feels like they go below nominal 19hz in the room that kind of size.
Well, that's reassuring!
Are you familiar with the RBH I-12/e to maybe compare them to the SB2000s? I would go with them bc they are on clearance (cheaper vs sb2000) and will aesthetically match my fronts/center. But if they are not as good for the space I will default back to the SVS.

Nice space but it looks like it may be acoustically challenging.
Challenging but hopefully doable?
What would *you* recommend for my space? Like i said, i'm new to this (though, a veteran on paper )

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you have a large room and want deep frequency output, get ported subs, which would be the I-12 subs in this case. If you don't want deep bass, get the SB-2000 subs.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
If you have a large room and want deep frequency output, get ported subs, which would be the I-12 subs in this case. If you don't want deep bass, get the SB-2000 subs.
Is 19hz not deep bass? Plus add room gain for this size of room.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Is 19hz not deep bass? Plus add room gain for this size of room.
sb2000 goes to 19hz, wheras rbh to 20hz as per official specs))) Both +/- 3db. So deep bass comment is not relevant here.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
sb2000 goes to 19hz, wheras rbh to 20hz as per official specs))) So deep bass comment is not relevant here.
Except at what output level? I've used an sb2k before, and it's a great little sub for its size but an output monster it's not. Sure it hits 19hz but in a decent sized room the excursion and power it takes to make a meaningful contribution is beyond its capacity. A ported sub tuned in the same range will have a huge advantage in in efficiency and output. Op's room isn't huge but looks like the overall space is big enough to call for a ported sub. Even the sb's bigger brother would be worth it imo.
Also, room gain is often overstated, and room dims will control at what point and at what level it occurs.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
His room is considered small and this combination in my case gives you spl you won't be able tolerate for more than a couple of minutes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well obviously that's subjective, but what is the room construction? On a concrete slab I doubt that to be the case. On a suspended floor(floor joist) I'd would be much different. Also, the room dims mentioned were for the bedroom I believe and would be small.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
14x12x9 = 1512 sq.ft = small room
That was for the bedroom where they were to go before GF shot him down lol.
OP, what are the actual dimensions? Room looks like at least one wall is 20'.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Still the question here is not about deep or not deep bass but if subs will produce enough spl. For that indeed we need to know exact dimensions.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Still the question here is not about deep or not deep bass but if subs will produce enough spl. For that indeed we need to know exact dimensions.
Totally agree. My hunch is based on the pictures, the sb2k(single especially) will be outmatched. Especially where deep bass is considered.

Motty Marvi

Motty Marvi

Audiophyte
Thank you all for contributing.
As I mentioned before, I don't have access to measure the space at the moment. I could take exact measurements this Sunday, and probably better pictures too.

Having said that, it sounds like you guys are shooting down the SB2000 for this living room space, I'm guessing because it opens to the kitchen/dining area and this makes it into a large room and these 2 sealed subs will get lost there.
Now, I know about SVS subs and read all the reviews I could find about them, but not familiar with RBH's subs (I obviously know about the R55Ti and the centers since I bought them :)).
I REALLY LOVE *feeling* my music and movies but accurate sound is super important too, so my question is, for the room in the pics (accurate measurements on sunday) what would match better - (2) x PB2000 OR (2) x I-12/e?

I hope I'm asking the correct question, please excuse my ignorance and feel free to educate me if I'm not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis