2 upgrade possibility options

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Just thinking about a future upgrade, but I'm in no way ready to move yet.

I have a 6 year old Yamaha RXV659 7.1 100wpc AVR and Denon DVD1939ci universal player that is offering so many good experiences. I don't miss the non-HDMI yet, it has plenty of power for my speakers, and I don't need much connectivity yet. But I'm reserching future upgrades to include better sound quality and a BDP.

Which is more advantages?

1. Keep what I have and add an Emotiva 5 channel amp to the preout of my current AVR
...or...
2. By a buy the recently discontinued Yamaha RXA2000 AVR and BDP for about the same amount of green.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Is this mainly for HT? What are your speakers?

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
HT theater use mostly, occasional cds for now, frequent FM.
When I eventually phase out my 2 channel system in another room, music will take a higher precedence.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I guess nobody has a preference over a newer avr w/ hdmi vs. adding better amplification to my existing avr.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I would first get a Blu-ray player. If I was going to keep a non HDMI rec'r I would get a BR player with analog outs to be able to decode the BR audio codecs but that in itself is more money.

I think I'd go with a Panasonic Bluray player (just make sure you don't get the one Markw had).

Rec'r wise I have been lusting after a Denon 4311 for some time now.
That might negate your desire for an amp.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Blu-ray players with analog outs are pretty rare nowadays. I think only Oppo still make sone.

and, I'v ehad three, count 'em, THREE PAnny BD-85's trying to finr one where ta analog sub output worked! Besides, they do't make 'em anymore. If you do get one refurbished from panny, odds are that I had it already. And, remember, two of the ones I sent back so far have been refurbs. Waiting on a third.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Thanks for helping me clarify my intent.

I should have said that a bdp is a given upgrade, and I'm thinking of an Oppo, even a recently discontinued Oppo.

Now to clarify, is the sonic performance of trueHD worth an avr w/ hdmi? Or will adding an amp to my existing avr and use the analogue outs for a bdp improve the sound better?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
This doesn't have to be a one step process.

When they worked, I found the analog output of the BD better than using the standard coaxial/optical feed.

In any case, that Oppo is quite a unit and it would fit well into either of your scenarios. I'd go for it. Try it and see just how you feel about needing to upgrade the receiver now. If you find it's good enough, keep saving your money. Receivers just keep getting better, more feature laden, and cheaper as time goes on.

Plus, I believe that Oppo is a universal player as well, SACD is pretty much requires analog transfer to the receiver.

I really apologize for the typos in my previous post. I'm really "more smarter" than that post indicates.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
When they worked, I found the analog output of the BD better than using the standard coaxial/optical feed.
I can believe it, because my Denon universal player sounds better w/ cds via analogue out vs. digital coaxial...at least with my avr.
What about the trueHD hype thru a HDMI cable? Is the Oppos 5.1 analogue thru my Yamaha as good? If this is the case then adding a better 5-ch amp and use the Yamaha as a pre/pro is all I need with the Oppo source.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
At this point, I'd say go for the Oppo, listen to it for a whiile, and see where you feel you need to go from there.

FWIW, I'm happy with an 8 year-old Denon 2802 receiver with analog inputs. IF I feel I need more power, I have pre outs. I have no intention to go for a new receiver if I can avoid it.

Now, If Panny would just send me a fully functioning BD-85 ... :mad:

Oh, Denon does some pretty good DVD universal players. I have a 1940 CI. Now, if it just did Blu-ray I wouldn't be in this situation...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can believe it, because my Denon universal player sounds better w/ cds via analogue out vs. digital coaxial...at least with my avr.
What about the trueHD hype thru a HDMI cable? Is the Oppos 5.1 analogue thru my Yamaha as good? If this is the case then adding a better 5-ch amp and use the Yamaha as a pre/pro is all I need with the Oppo source.
Could you tell us more about your speakers and room size? You may be happy with the Oppo 93 without anything else.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am using my old RX-V659 to drive a pair of 86 dB/W/M speakers and it does a fine job. If your room is smaller than say 2000 cu.ft., I would think there isn't much to gain by adding an amp for 2 channel stereo enjoyment. For multichannel listening I would just add a 3 or even 2 channel amp and let the 659 take care of the surround channels.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I am using my old RX-V659 to drive a pair of 86 dB/W/M speakers and it does a fine job. If your room is smaller than say 2000 cu.ft., I would think there isn't much to gain by adding an amp for 2 channel stereo enjoyment. For multichannel listening I would just add a 3 or even 2 channel amp and let the 659 take care of the surround channels.
Thanks peng. My system is a multichannel system for movies first off. I posted wanting to improve the sound quality of what I have, not that I'm disappointed, but it isn't in the league of my 2 channel system, present and past.
I was wondering about the rxa2000 (timoteo sings its praises) or adding a multichannel amp to what I have, though I'm not quite ready for a purchase yet. Maybe a new avr might be smarter to take advantage of the codecs for bluray and truehd, unless of course I find a multichannel amp sooner for a song. The honest truth is I would be stoked to own an older Linn AV5125 5-channel amp, but the xpa5 is loved by many on this site.
Many conflicting decisions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks peng. My system is a multichannel system for movies first off. I posted wanting to improve the sound quality of what I have, not that I'm disappointed, but it isn't in the league of my 2 channel system, present and past.
I was wondering about the rxa2000 (timoteo sings its praises) or adding a multichannel amp to what I have, though I'm not quite ready for a purchase yet. Maybe a new avr might be smarter to take advantage of the codecs for bluray and truehd, unless of course I find a multichannel amp sooner for a song. The honest truth is I would be stoked to own an older Linn AV5125 5-channel amp, but the xpa5 is loved by many on this site.
Many conflicting decisions.
Base on specs I prefer the XPA2 and the 3 would be my second choice. I think your 4 ohm L/R speakers will appreciate the larger power supplies of the 2 and the 3's. Again, you can just go with the Oppo 93 + an amp now and upgrade the AVR later. Don't under estimate the 659. It sounds just as good as my separates.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis