2 drivers in 1 box ?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
hello

i have a 17x17x17 encloser. i had a pioneer dvc 12" in it, powered by a 100wpc kenwood reciever. it works pretty well, nothing great, but well enough. until the foam surround dry rotted. i'm finding new drivers are not cost effective, i'm on a budget. i already have 2 svc 12" drivers, 1 is in the box now. i was wondering if i could mount the other to the box and have it work good.

i would get one of those dayton 12 units. if i could sell the stuff i have = i doubt that. and, i am a believer in using what ya have (if it will work well enough)

anyway. what do you think about the 2 drivers ? if so, how ?

thanx
Humble A/V guy

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hello

i have a 17x17x17 encloser. i had a pioneer dvc 12" in it, powered by a 100wpc kenwood reciever. it works pretty well, nothing great, but well enough. until the foam surround dry rotted. i'm finding new drivers are not cost effective, i'm on a budget. i already have 2 svc 12" drivers, 1 is in the box now. i was wondering if i could mount the other to the box and have it work good.

i would get one of those dayton 12 units. if i could sell the stuff i have = i doubt that. and, i am a believer in using what ya have (if it will work well enough)

anyway. what do you think about the 2 drivers ? if so, how ?

thanx
Humble A/V guy
Well you don't say what the T/S parameters of what any of those drivers are, nor details of your enclosure, other than volume. Every driver has its unique box requirements. If you use two drivers in standard configuration VAS is doubled, so the enclosure has to twice is big. If the drivers are in isobarik configuration then VAS is halved and the enclosure needs to be half the volume.

If you know, or can find the T/S parameters of your drivers, and post them, then we can tell what is your optimum box for one or two drivers.

Without knowing the parameters of your drivers it is impossible to answer your question or give you any sensible advice whatever.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

thanx. the drivers are 10y/o el cheapos i got from parts express. i highly doubt i could find the specs on it. and i don't have them. so... i have been reading around, and it looks like that Dayton 120 is a great value. while i have yet to hear/feel one of these, its got to be better than what i have now. and a better/larger sub, being in a condo, i couldn't use its upper abilitys. my current box, perhaps i could sell it on craigslist.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
thanx. the drivers are 10y/o el cheapos i got from parts express. i highly doubt i could find the specs on it. and i don't have them. so... i have been reading around, and it looks like that Dayton 120 is a great value. while i have yet to hear/feel one of these, its got to be better than what i have now. and a better/larger sub, being in a condo, i couldn't use its upper abilitys. my current box, perhaps i could sell it on craigslist.
I agree with your decision basically. However you sound like a tinkerer. If you have access to workshop facilities don't forget to explore the DIY threads about subs on these forums. Here are some of the drivers I have modeled for members over time. I have quite a few other models in my data base not committed to pdf and not loaded loaded to my web site.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i will check that out. but i think, for now, i will go with the dayton, and move on to the next thing. perhaps in the future i will, if i can't sell the box, mount the other driver and check it out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis