2 Channel Power Amps

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
What companies are out there that make a descent amplifier at an affordable price. I'm talking straight power amps, no integrated amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What companies are out there that make a descent amplifier at an affordable price. I'm talking straight power amps, no integrated amps.
You have tell us your power requirements and define "affordable" first otherwise the list could be way too long, or short.:D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Obviously emotiva and outlaw come to mind two of my favorites. Then for stereo and mono amps you have the Moon neo line, CI audio {mostly mono blocks but talks of a stereo amp system, although when I seen pictures it looks like 2 mono blocks that share a power supply in a separate chassis, still pretty cool though}, peachtree makes the 220 that is a power amp with no volume knob, balanced audio {BAT} makes some impressive tube and ss amps, music fidelity, and yamaha, onkyo and marantz still make the 2 channel models I believe, I know I see the multi channel power amps all the time {overpriced if you ask me}, icon, jolida, and AE {audio electronics, Hercules} make power amps too but all tube....
also NAD, niles, parasound, Russound, and mcintosh

then a lot of pro audio stuff like crown, behringer, QSC, alesis, samason, pile, art, marathon, tech pro, ect, ect, ect....

I am sure there are a lot more and some of them companies like Ci have mono blocks vs stereo amps, I have listened to MANY amps and I can not for the life of me hear a difference in sound quality between 1 vs another, I will admit I can hear how t class and tube amps may reproduce it a little different, but between solid state amps, I say buy the most inexpensive that fits your needs and has the stability and customer support you can live with... I had BK amps for a while but service issues and companies closing and opening and closing screwed me a few times, I find emotiva and outlaw are about as good as any other on the market sound wise and customer service wise easy to deal with, and THEY ARE BUILT LIKE TANKS, my xp5 NEVER SHUTS OFF and works great not a hiccup, my xpa2 has been asked to power some of the toughest speakers made at stomach turning levels for hours and never got 10* past ambiant, my xpa200 powers 12 in ceiling speakers and never gave me a problem... I also like the outlaw 2200's, I prefer mono blocks with stereo systems and they do everything I ask and don't cost much for what you get, plus they are tiny and you barely notice them...

Now as far as "affordable" goes, I have no idea what is affordable to you, there are some good buys and if you are building a 2 ch music system we will need a little more info, like budget, speakers to be driven, room size, listening position from speakers, is there going to be a subwoofer in the system, ect... If you are talking watts per dollar, class d pro amps are going to get you the most power for your money, for example an xls1000 is under $300 and puts out over 200w per channel at 8 ohms...

If its music only i personally like the outlaw 2200's and the xpa2 for a good amount of headroom and pretty much the ability to run any speaker around... the prices are competitive, but if you don't care about headroom and only need say 60w per ch, the m1 is on sale for $500 or so at music direct and is a decent buy if you want something "different"... give us some more info and we will let you know our opinions on what to look into...

Last edited:
M

Malazan

Enthusiast
LOL, I new the word affordable was a bust.:D Affordable to some might be 60k

I'm just building a 2.1 system to play out of my PC. It will go from my PC to Power Amp to Bookshelfs. I don't need anything over 200w RMS. It is strictly for playing music

I was looking at the Crown XLS series of amps or maybe Emotiva

just curious as to what else is out there

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Fuzz them are both integrated...

And OP, why don't you want an integrated amp, what are you going to use to control the volume...

I use an emotiva mini x for my pc 2.1 system, I cross them with a pair of 80hz high pass fmods and it is way more volume than you will ever need... but the smsl's look very nice too.. you could probably get by with a lepai 2020 for $22...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fuzz them are both integrated...

And OP, why don't you want an integrated amp, what are you going to use to control the volume...

I use an emotiva mini x for my pc 2.1 system, I cross them with a pair of 80hz high pass fmods and it is way more volume than you will ever need... but the smsl's look very nice too.. you could probably get by with a lepai 2020 for $22...
It's not an integrated it's a power amplifier with a gain knob just like a Crown or an Emo.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
LOL, I forgot all about Volume control:(
If it's going to be connected to your computer you just use the computers volume control for digital volume or you use the gain knob on the SMSL for analog volume control.

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
OK, so say with the Crown XLS amps, the gain knobs are the volume knobs?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
OK, so say with the Crown XLS amps, the gain knobs are the volume knobs?
Volume and gain are two different things. Volume is a descriptor of the output, while gain tells you about how much greater the output is compared to the input (a ratio). Both do about the same thing, but in different ways. The big difference comes into play between analog volume control and digital.

A straightforward answer is that for all intensive purposes those knobs will make the sound louder or softer, but technically they're gain knobs not volume knobs. The SMSL amps are labeled as volume because they know it would just create headaches and unnecessary questions if they labeled it as gain.

Also, there's no practical reason why you would pay more to get a Crown over the SMSL's. SQ will be very similar if not identical. The only difference is money out of your pocket.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so an integrated amp is not out of the question? I'm confused as to what the op is looking for...

What speakers are you driving? what sub? how far do you sit from the speakers? what is the actual budget?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Harman Crown XLS 1500 (300WPC x 2CH 8 ohms/ 525WPC x 2CH 4 ohms) for $343 delivered. I would set the amp gain to 100% like most amps that don't have gain control.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
OK, so an integrated amp is not out of the question? I'm confused as to what the op is looking for...

What speakers are you driving? what sub? how far do you sit from the speakers? what is the actual budget?
Post #4. Just a small amp to drive a pair of bookshelves for a computer setup.

Harman Crown XLS 1500 (215WPC x 2CH 8 ohms/ 350WPC 4 ohms) for $300 delivered.
Overkill and a bit large for a computer setup IMO.

I'm still saying get the the SMSL, and maybe a miniDSP to use as your crossover to subwoofer. Cheap, easy to use, and the miniDSP can be used now and long term as a DSP or EQ for the sub or future subs.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Post #4. Just a small amp to drive a pair of bookshelves for a computer setup.
I was just curious as to see which bookshelves he was planning on...

The truth of the matter is a lepai 2020 would be more than enough for 95% of 2.1 pc systems and it sounds good and only costs $20

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I was just curious as to see which bookshelves he was planning on...

The truth of the matter is a lepai 2020 would be more than enough for 95% of 2.1 pc systems and it sounds good and only costs $20
Or an SMSL for $40. Better aesthetics IMO, great build quality, and real binding posts. Plus none none of that extra nonsense. If I want the signal altered, I sure don't want the Lepai doing it. YMMV.

M

Malazan

Enthusiast
I was looking at the following Bookshelf Speakers

Monitor Aubio BX2
Axiom M3v3
HSU HB1 MKII
PSB Image B6
Wharfedale 10.2
Ascend CBM 170 SE
EMP TEK E5Bi
B&W 685
EPOS Epic 1
Audioengine P4
Aperion Intimus 5B
KEF Q300
Focal Chorus 705, 706, 806
Cambridge Audio SX60, Aero 2
JBL Studio L830

Probably a 10" Sub later on

Last edited:
M

Malazan

Enthusiast
I did look at the 1.4cf's, the other is just a little over budget

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I was looking at the following Bookshelf Speakers

SVS Ultra
Monitor Aubio BX2
Axiom M3v3
HSU HB1 MKII
PSB Image B6
Wharfedale 10.2
Ascend CBM 170 SE
EMP TEK E5Bi
B&W 685
EPOS Epic 1
Audioengine P4
Aperion Intimus 5B
KEF Q300
Focal Chorus 705, 706, 806
Cambridge Audio SX60, Aero 2
JBL Studio L830

Probably a 10" Sub later on
Thats a lot of looking, lol I like most of them, but would take the carnegie csb1's over all of them... the svs ultras are nice too but they are $1000.00 at that budget you have a lot of choices, but I still lean towards the csb1's, I just like them, there was a sale on epos epic 2's that is over now, but between the csb1's and the epic2's {if you can find them} is where I would be...

I have powered my csb1's with the topping tp60 and it sounds great, easily capable of high sound levels for sure {similar to some of the stuff fuzz is linking you too, but more money{the toppings are more money}, I have yet to try the smsl line so can't really comment on it, I don't like to recommend what I haven't actually heard with my own ears, although for the most part an amp is an amp} ...

Grresearch is selling the csb'1s for $400 rite now, I have athread around here somewhere with some info from me and others here that bought them...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis