2.1 Sub/Pure Direct issue

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
I just set up a Paradigm SE Subwoofer to go with my Mini Monitors & Yamaha rx-v765. I'm still working on getting it dialed in, but I've already run into 1 issue.

When the receiver is on tv (HDMI 2 input) the sub works while in Pure Direct.

When I listen to a cd via PS3 (HDMI 1 input) the sub doesn't work in Pure Direct. Same if I plug in my ipod via (AUX input). It will work in the EQ modes, though.

Any suggestions?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stereo tracks do not have a .1 channel, so when you listen in stereo in Pure Direct, the sub shouldn't be playing AFAIK, so a CD would play as 2.0. Pure Direct should be bypassing all bass management and processing. Why it works from the TV, I can't say, but the signal type must be different.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I'm pretty sure the sub will kick in if the front speakers are set to small and not large. I'll have to check later.

-pat

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
I have the Fronts on Small.

Some people think the sub won't work in Direct mode without a dedicated track?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
is it really that important to you to use pure direct? the only thing pure direct does is bypasses any signal processing, crossing a sub over requires signal processing. if your playing a stereo track in 2 ch mode and havent screwed with the bass/treble controls the only processing you will be getting is the low frequencies being crossed over to the sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have the Fronts on Small.

Some people think the sub won't work in Direct mode without a dedicated track?
On all of my Marantz receivers this was the case - if you use source direct, which is similar to Pure Direct on your Yamaha, you bypass bass management, tone controls and any processing. That means that even if your speakers are normally set to small, they will be set to large in source direct on mine. If you feed a 2.0 signal, you will get no sub. The Yamahas are a little different because you can configure the bass for "both" sub and mains even if they are set to large, and I am pretty sure that people have said that this may still apply in Pure Direct, so YMMV depending on how you have it setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis