2.1 computer speaker reccomendations

C

chazist

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

Im looking to buy a 2.1 speaker system for my apartment room. My room isnt large and I do not want to annoy the neighbors. What would you suggest for a long lasting high quality sound system?

I am stuck between:
Hercules xps 101
Soundscience Rockus 3d
Creative Gigaworks t3
Klipsh Promedia 2.1 wireless

Another option I was considering was Bose since they say they can imitate 5.1 and have 3d sound. However, I am open to any suggestions.

Thoughts?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
What is your budget limit

I like the sound out of these Genelec 8200

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've used the Klipsch Promedia and it's pretty decent for a satellite computer speaker system. The little sub is a bit boomy but powerful and the sats are pretty decent for small satellites, but typically for low-end Klipsch the Promedia can be fatiguing. The others on your list I can't speak to because I haven't heard them.

If you can I'd save up for something a bit nicer than $150 computer speakers. Maybe save up for a cheap A/R Receiver (AVR), speakers, and a subwoofer.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Im looking to buy a 2.1 speaker system for my apartment room. My room isnt large and I do not want to annoy the neighbors.
Given those factors, why not just settle for a quality 2.0 with some nice bookshelves? Is a sub all that important?

I am stuck between:
Hercules xps 101
Soundscience Rockus 3d
Creative Gigaworks t3
These are all specifically computer/gaming type brands. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but you might want to be looking at actual speaker companies :)

For example, let's look at the Hercules spec sheet:

http://www.hercules.com/uk/Speakers/bdd/p/143/xps-101/#product_technology

Now back in the day I was a big fan of this company. Their version of the ATI Radeon 9700 sound card back then, was simply the best version available. But look: there isn't even mention of frequency response, driver configuration, distortion. Compare to what a spec sheet for speakers "should" look like:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170specs.html + http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170meas.html

Klipsh Promedia 2.1 wireless
I used to have the wired ones. They were okay for what they were, and the sub wasn't all that bad for what it was, but it wasn't crazy.

Another option I was considering was Bose since they say they can imitate 5.1 and have 3d sound.
All I can say is - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D ;)

However, I am open to any suggestions.
For my computer setup, I use

2X These
1X These

And compared to the old 2.1 Klipsch setup, there really is no comparision, whatsoever. If I had to put a number on it, maybe 8 to 10X better. Maybe the deepest of the deep stuff ain't there, but overall on a desk, in a small room, they are very punchy and dynamic, with great stereo imaging, a smooth, seemingly neutral sound, and very resolving. What you might lose below 80hz, you probably didn't want anyways given your earlier sentiment about not annoying the neighbors. The amp runs very cool, feels solid, and makes no concessions in SQ that I could hear. It can deliver a good 25wpc which may not tear the neighborhood down, but is still enough power to wake a sleeping person up two rooms over if you turn the volume up. Here is the Audioholics review of the speakers, for whatever it's worth to yourself. These are real speakers, not 2 inch plastic computer speakers.

I also like the powered Genelec studio monitor suggestion earlier, and one other speaker I recommend are the JBL LSR2325.

Now I'm not clear on if this is for a computer setup or just for a small living room type of deal, so some clarification would help. Is remote control necessary? What kind of sound card are you using (again I'm assuming this is part of a computer setup?)

Last edited:
B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Another option I was considering was Bose since they say they can imitate 5.1 and have 3d sound. However, I am open to any suggestions.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'd avoid the Bose system. I found that one to be rather hard to listen to. I thought that it was very directional once you got out of the listening center.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I know with this suggestion I'm starting to throw your budget to the wind but I thought I'd toss out these for your consideration

14CF

Again, these are real speakers and they are well made. I just listened to a 7.1 setup from this company today and I can say I walked away impressed. All of their speakers (as far as I know) are hand assembled and they provide a lot of support if anything ever goes wrong.

Just a thought.

C

chazist

Audiophyte
thanks for the advice everyone. I am looking for something around $200. It will be in a small bedroom (about 12ft x 13ft) and for my computer. I am fairly new to all of this stuff so I cannot say too much about what I am looking for but would prefer something somewhat compact with good audio quality.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
For that price I've always been a fan of logitech speakers, used to have the z5500, actually still do lying around here somewhere. Great stuff for what it was. Heres a 2.1 system by them, would do the trick I think and come in way under budget, what could be better? :)

Amazon.com: Logitech Speaker System Z623: Electronics

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
For $200, I highly recommend the Behringer 1030a. There is an option to price match. So, you can find them cheaper elsewhere and give them the link.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
thanks for the advice everyone. I am looking for something around $200. It will be in a small bedroom (about 12ft x 13ft) and for my computer. I am fairly new to all of this stuff so I cannot say too much about what I am looking for but would prefer something somewhat compact with good audio quality.
Try to avoid compact. While expensive engineering can get passable performance out of compact, you likely won't find it at your price point. Not until you get into something like the KEF KHT3005 type stuff. Your comment earlier:

What would you suggest for a long lasting high quality sound system?
suggests to me that you will thank yourself for raising the budget a bit. If you don't mind gluing it together, you should also consider a kit, like this:

Overnight Sensations MT Speaker Pair Kit 300-706

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis