"1st generation" high powered hdmi receiver recommendation

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
Currently using a DSP-A3090 for my home theater. It has been absolutely fabulous......stone cold reliable, powerful, just an awesome amp.

But now looking for a receiver (or integrated amp) that has hdmi. Not looking for state of the art, but an older powerhouse that has hdmi. Not really into bluetooth so don't really need that.

I keep coming back to the RX-Z7........what other receiver from yesteryear should I be considering? Where do I find such a beast? Craigslist? Ebay?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Edit: I guess I'd like to try and stay with Yamaha.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Currently using a DSP-A3090 for my home theater. It has been absolutely fabulous......stone cold reliable, powerful, just an awesome amp.

But now looking for a receiver (or integrated amp) that has hdmi. Not looking for state of the art, but an older powerhouse that has hdmi. Not really into bluetooth so don't really need that.

I keep coming back to the RX-Z7........what other receiver from yesteryear should I be considering? Where do I find such a beast? Craigslist? Ebay?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Edit: I guess I'd like to try and stay with Yamaha.
An older AV receiver won't be able to do much with the current HDMI signal and that will only get worse in the future. Why are you looking for an older one? If you buy new movies and other BD/DVD discs, an older one will be unable to decode the more recent audio tracks in some cases, too. Also, avoid anything from 2011-2013 because many brands had HDMI board issues, especially Onkyo.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Yamaha builds awesome, robust AVRs. And U can find used ones on e-bagger, Craig's List..
The challenge is the protocols and standards for audio, video and HDMI are changing almost every year. So it really comes down to what components will be connected, if new ones U better get a new AVR. Note that AVRs have decreased significantly in cost over the last 5 years...

Just my $0.02... ;)

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
An older AV receiver won't be able to do much with the current HDMI signal and that will only get worse in the future. Why are you looking for an older one? If you buy new movies and other BD/DVD discs, an older one will be unable to decode the more recent audio tracks in some cases, too. Also, avoid anything from 2011-2013 because many brands had HDMI board issues, especially Onkyo.
"Why are you looking for an older one?"

I'm looking for an older newer one, if that makes any sense. Something newer than my current processor, but not new........a "yesterday's" hero sort of processor. My last kid is in college now so have to watch where my money goes. I just can't justify a new machine right now, but am hoping to stumble into a processor that is a few years old, that has depreciated off a bit, but is still an upgrade to my current unit.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I'm looking for an older newer one, if that makes any sense. Something newer than my current processor, but not new........a "yesterday's" hero sort of processor. My last kid is in college now so have to watch where my money goes. I just can't justify a new machine right now, but am hoping to stumble into a processor that is a few years old, that has depreciated off a bit, but is still an upgrade to my current unit.
Why not spring for a used RXA 2000 - 2030 series or their flagship line 3000 - 3030 series. They are equipped with stout power supplies and amplifiers, have all the decoding you want and are reasonably current with technology with the later models equipped to handle 4K. I believe you would end up buying twice if you aimed for older models sooner than later. I have both an RXV-1500 and RXV -1800 model and that would be my planned upgrade path.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

How do you feel about refurbs from authorized dealer?

Are you familiar with A4L? Most of their stuff is refurb, but they do have new or open box sometimes too.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

vmax84

vmax84

Enthusiast
How do you feel about refurbs from authorized dealer?

Are you familiar with A4L? Most of their stuff is refurb, but they do have new or open box sometimes too.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html
I'm fine with refurbs, but am also looking for (wait for it.......)........a receiver I can use separate amps for center and rear speakers. Is this "old school" thinking? My current processor allows me to use separate amps, which I also have equalizers hooked into each amp. lol

Yeah, I like a really complicated sound system. :) Do more current receivers allow a person to hook extra amps into the system like my current processor?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm fine with refurbs, but am also looking for (wait for it.......)........a receiver I can use separate amps for center and rear speakers. Is this "old school" thinking? My current processor allows me to use separate amps, which I also have equalizers hooked into each amp. lol

Yeah, I like a really complicated sound system. :) Do more current receivers allow a person to hook extra amps into the system like my current processor?
Yes and no.

The low end / entry models do not, it's a cost savings measure.

Once you hit mid-range to upper end AVRs, the answer is yes. The feature that you are looking for is "Pre-Amp Outs". Some of those that I linked will have this.

In general, you likely have to hit the ~$700 price range to get the Pre-Amp Outs. You may be able to find something cheaper used or refurb.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis