$1750 budget for disc player and receiver/separates: recommendations?

S

Symblized

Audiophyte
I have a $1750 budget for a disc player and a receiver/separates that will be used for about 65-35 movies/television vs. music. My current plan is an Oppo 105 that I can get for $1099 ($100 off list) and a Marantz SR6007 receiver that I can get for $649. Any other suggestions?

These will be powering an all-Martin Logan 5.1 audio setup, with Motion 40 fronts, Motion 30 center, Dynamo 700 sub, and ML in-walls in the rear.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the forum,

I would personally go with New Denon AVR4520CI 9 2CHANNEL 3D Networking A V Receiver Airplay AVR 4520CI 883795002578 | eBay {their are authorized distributors selling on ebay so you get full warranty}.
And Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi: Electronics , in my experience {and listening to audio systems is a hobby of mine} you can spend a million dollars on a blu ray player BUT it wont be noticeably "better' than the above sony unit...

Here is the issue I see with expensive media players... THEY CHANGE TOO FAST!!! Buy an $1100+ Blu ray player and it is going to be replaced in 2 years or in most cases less by something new and improved, or a new model with new features... So now your $1100 blu ray player is worth $50 and you are in the market for a new $1500 Red Ray player that supports HDMI 4.9'er .....
I have spent a lot of time with the McIntosh 891 Blu ray setup in our friends home where we often go and watch movies, its in a $30K system and is supposedly one of the best Blu ray players made to date and I want to say it cost him $5K, it plays the same as a ps3, and he admits to often just using his ps3, do your self a favor and don't fall for the hype, sure the oppo is a nice unit, but FIRST buy your avr and then buy one of them sony 5100s and demo the oppo 105, you compare them in your home and see which you keep... Keep in mind, I promise you in the very near future there will be something "better" for less.... This way when your sony 5100 is outdated it was only $100, you can throw it away...

Also another note on your system, I would look into different subs, I have heard the ML 700's and even when doubled up they can not compare to something you can get for half the price.... Look into Rythmic lv12, HSU VTF2, SVS PB12, ect... My pick is the hsu vtf2, the martin wont come close....

Anyway your money would be much better served in your avr, that DENON is beautiful, powerful, built like a tank, and already marked down $1000+... But even with that, there is very little need for a $1500 avr, when a $500 unit will do almost the same, best buy has the SC63 elite pioneers on sale for around $700....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good advice from ImcLoud.

I think the Oppo is nice, but you are correct that it will become obsolete as a BDP. If you want it mostly for a long-term high quality CD player, then go for it, but if just for blu ray, then something cheaper would fill the bill nicely.

I do not like Sony though. I would go with one of the Panasonic players and avoid Sony at all costs personally. Unless it is a Playstation or a walkman, I steer clear of any other Sony product. PS3 can be a little awkward to use as BDP.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a $1750 budget for a disc player and a receiver/separates that will be used for about 65-35 movies/television vs. music. My current plan is an Oppo 105 that I can get for $1099 ($100 off list) and a Marantz SR6007 receiver that I can get for $649.
That would be imprudent IMO.

Get the Denon X4000. MSRP is $1200, but you could probably get it for under $1K from Electronics Expo if you call them.

Then get the $500 OPPO BDP-103.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you want a top quality BD player which is well built and truly designed to last for years with top shelf audio, then get the Oppo. The newest Panasonic players are getting panned for bottom shelf firmware causing lockups, and Sony players have been known to introduce processing into the original HDMI bitstream which should be of some (minimal) concern. As well, those players are not built or designed at all with top-tier audio or video quality in mind, but are built on mass-production mentality.

Not sure I would go with the $1,000 BD player over their $500 model though.

That said, I would then pair the Oppo with something far more significant, especially if you like playing things at a higher volume. No matter what, get a receiver which includes pre-outs to feed an external amplifier, because I find that people who like listening loud overheat their amps rather easily.

P

Phules

Enthusiast
I agree with BMXTRIX, why not just get the Oppo 103 for 500, I chose it because it has the USB inputs and I have an external harddrive hooked up to it with all my music. Also it reads almost all formats, DVDA SACD etc. I had a Panasonic BDT-210 which was nice, but it didnt read DVDA so I had to keep an old DVD player around to play them.

S

Symblized

Audiophyte
Thanks all. I'm definitely going to downgrade to the Oppo 103 at least, if not more (I already have a Sony BDP-S3100 at home), and plan to upgrade my receiver. I'll let you guys know how this works out, and if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!

S

Symblized

Audiophyte
Since you have 5.1 setup I'd recommend this it's on sale: Amazon.com: Pioneer VSX-822-K 5.1-Channel Network Ready A/V Receiver: Electronics
or
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Pioneer VSX-1022-K 560W 7-Channel A/V Receiver, Network Ready, Pandora, iPod/iPhone, Black
For a sub we need to know how big is your space. I 2nd the Sony purchase I would never pay $1,000 or $500 for a BD player since a $50-150 can do the same.
I probably should have mentioned this up-front. My room is actually quite small at only 13x8.

S

Symblized

Audiophyte
Also another note on your system, I would look into different subs, I have heard the ML 700's and even when doubled up they can not compare to something you can get for half the price.... Look into Rythmic lv12, HSU VTF2, SVS PB12, ect... My pick is the hsu vtf2, the martin wont come close....
Thanks for this and the AVR recommendation. I may sell the ML 700 online since I bought it factory sealed for $420 from someone who won it as a prize, and then use the sale price towards the HSU, about which I have read nothing but good things.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for this and the AVR recommendation. I may sell the ML 700 online since I bought it factory sealed for $420 from someone who won it as a prize, and then use the sale price towards the HSU, about which I have read nothing but good things.
You are very welcome, if you get enough out of that sale of the sub to get the vtf2, you won't be sorry, I recently heard a lot good things about the rythmic 12 so I tried one, and I have to say, I prefer the vtf2 after using it for a few days.... The rythmic is going to my mothers house and my vtf2's are safe at home...... I really wanted to like the rythmic more, I heard a lot about servo subs and how clean they sonud, but my vtf2 beat it hands down.... A B comparison then swapped positions and I prefer the vtf2....

S

Symblized

Audiophyte
Update: I'm swapping out the Marantz SR6007 for a Pioneer Elite SC67 I found for sale for $849, already swapped out the Oppo BDP-105 for the BDP-103, and am returning the Sonos that I bought since the Roku Stick connected to the 103 will handle all the streaming I need and I'll use a combo of mobile and computer apps to stream all the digital music on my hard drive (plus Mog) to the Pioneer via AirPlay. With the money I've saved overall, I'll also be able to sell the ML 700 and buying an HSU sub. In the end, I'll even come out a couple hundred bucks ahead, with more flexibility and better sound.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That sounds much better... leaves enough for some really nice subs...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis