B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
Based on most recommendations, with the distance the speakers will be at, 16 it is. But I've now read that 12 or 14 might be better if I'm using them for a home theater. Thoughts?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I use 16 and works fine for me.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Based on most recommendations, with the distance the speakers will be at, 16 it is. But I've now read that 12 or 14 might be better if I'm using them for a home theater. Thoughts?
Pyrrho posted a great link that should be all the help you need, but just out of curiosity, how long are the runs you need to make?

B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
My runs will probably be about 5 ft for the Center and two towers, 15 ft for the bookshelves and unsure on the SW.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
My runs will probably be about 5 ft for the Center and two towers, 15 ft for the bookshelves and unsure on the SW.
With those lengths, there is no benefit to larger than 16 gauge, unless your speakers are less than 4 ohms. And even then, it may not matter. Look at the chart at the link I already gave you:

Speaker Wire

Even with the tight standards of the chart, your speakers could be 3 ohms and any thicker than 16 gauge would make absolutely no difference in how your speakers sound. If your speakers are 6 ohms, you could have 36 feet of 16 gauge and nothing bigger would sound any better.

B

BadgerAVS

Audioholic Intern
Alright, I referenced that guide when I initially bought 16 from monoprice. It was after that I read people saying thicker wire may be more beneficial.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Alright, I referenced that guide when I initially bought 16 from monoprice. It was after that I read people saying thicker wire may be more beneficial.
You'll be fine with 16, no worries.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You'll be fine with 16, no worries.
Personally, I try to use at least 14 for everything, but prefer 12 or 10.

Yes, it is overkill in most situations and costs more. I'm well aware of the science, but it is my personal decision.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. The research will tell you how thick you need to go before you won't tell a difference...but only you can decide what you want. If you want 12 or 14 gauge, then by all means, go for it. There's more than just the audio reproduction that goes into enjoying a system. There's also the aesthetics, pride of ownership, and so forth. Just keep in mind that the thicker the wire, the less flexible it will be and the harder it is to route. I have some bare, white 16-gauge wires running to my surround speakers...and while they work just fine, they look kind of wimpy to me so I'm going to eventually swap them out for ones that I think look better. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed. The research will tell you how thick you need to go before you won't tell a difference...but only you can decide what you want. If you want 12 or 14 gauge, then by all means, go for it. There's more than just the audio reproduction that goes into enjoying a system. There's also the aesthetics, pride of ownership, and so forth. Just keep in mind that the thicker the wire, the less flexible it will be and the harder it is to route. I have some bare, white 16-gauge wires running to my surround speakers...and while they work just fine, they look kind of wimpy to me so I'm going to eventually swap them out for ones that I think look better. :)
Surprise surprise, Adam likes it big and thick :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What? No comment about the color? :D

Leave it to Fuzz to pollute a perfectly good discussion on wire gauge and system performance... :p
I'm waiting to see what the color of the thicker stuff is. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I can't recall if the wire itself is a thicker gauge, but it'll have a thicker insulation and outer sheath.

So this tells me that you like it exotic and you don't care how thick it really is as long as you can put something on it make it feel thick.

Also, cool custom wire :)

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Sorry to sound unhelpful, every one has a different opinion on the wire they run, for example I run a 12 gauge oxidion free cable for my surrounds and center and a 10 gauge for my mains, it's totally up to you,

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I can't recall if the wire itself is a thicker gauge, but it'll have a thicker insulation and outer sheath.
Everyone knows it's a more pleasurable experience without a sheath.

lvb1770

lvb1770

Enthusiast
16 does not make me happy. I went with 10 and I couldn't be happier - well, maybe with 8...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis