brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Could be interesting. It's a kickstarter project.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57560453-47/a-made-in-the-u.s-audiophile-grade-turntable-for-$150/

Steve Guttenberg said:
audio can be expensive, but Ben Carter's ambitious Kickstarter project aims to make a serious dent in the price of quality turntables. A $150 pledge secures an Orbit belt-drive turntable, fitted with an Ortofon phono cartridge. As I write this blog, and just a few days after the Kickstarter project was launched, Carter has already passed the halfway mark to reaching his $60,000 goal!
I spoke with Carter on Thursday; he has a background in marketing and consulting, and Bob Hertig is handling the engineering for the project. Orbits will be manufactured by U-Turn Audio in the Boston area. Pledges of $150 buy the turntable finished in black, but Carter can't for certain guarantee that price for production turntables. They may sell for a little more.
Rather than going with a conventional tonearm, the Orbit features a Hertig-designed, ultra-low-friction uni-pivot arm (similar to the type of arm on my $2,700 VPI Classic turntable). I don't know of another turntable anywhere near the price of the Orbit with a uni-pivot tonearm. The Orbit's plinth/base is CNC machined out of medium-density fiberboard (MDF), and the base rests on specially designed styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR) feet, to prevent external vibrations from affecting the sound.
Since Carter is already over halfway toward meeting the Kickstarter goal, turntable deliveries should start in May 2013. I hope to get an Orbit in for review around that time.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Kind of cool. Forgive my shallowness, but it seems ugly/bland to me.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
It's true, but there's gonna be some trade offs for $150. If I'm going for a budget turntable it's be the project debut, but I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Says they will be shipping in black.

Not a bad deal for someone who is just starting in vinyl. If I had some where to set it up, I might buy one.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This is a great find!! Finally, an alternative to the semi-automatic crap sold by Best Buy from the likes of Sony and Denon. This is a real HiFi table on a budget and I would not be scared of playing my vinyl on this unit.

Look Ma, no USB!!!! :D

Budabear

Budabear

Junior Audioholic
Great idea however they cold have made it a little better looking.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Great idea however they cold have made it a little better looking.
Read the article, they will be finished in black and not what the picture is showing. Your the second person to say this, doesn't anyone read beyond the pics?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Read the article, they will be finished in black and not what the picture is showing. Your the second person to say this, doesn't anyone read beyond the pics?
I read the whole thing. That's why I said that I didn't think it was very attractive. Black is for the lower levels, but you can pay more for other finishes.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like they're shipping the kickstarter tables out pretty soon and will start shipping out orders in October. They're also trying to raise more money to add another color. Looks like a pretty good entry level TT that may comes darn close or may even best the Project Essential for exactly the same money. I can't help but figure that they'll be offering a $400 table to compete with the Debut Carbon if all goes well, since they're already making a list of features that people have been asking for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis