1337 5.1 speaker design and build

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
ok point taken. I will stick with the drivers specified. out of curiosity, if I keep the box volume the same for each the woofers and mids and change the dimensions, does that affect the sound??? I am not saying I will, I was just wondering...
Yes it will affect the frequency response. Usually in speakers like this, a baffle step compensation circuit is included in the crossover to deal with how the baffle changes the FR. A BSC is basically a padded mid/tweeter circuit and is required to be greater when the baffle is slimmer, making bass less reinforced by the baffle.

It also can affect the tweeter/mid dispersion patterns as well and alter the combined radiation patten in some way, like moving the sweet spot to one side of center or something.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hey bacon - We said essentially the same thing at the same time :D.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't suggest a BSC circuit for a crossover. I suggest an active crossover to handle that. It's just impossible to account for a room without an eq of some kind.

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
I don't suggest a BSC circuit for a crossover. I suggest an active crossover to handle that. It's just impossible to account for a room without an eq of some kind.
We were saying that he doesn't want to alter the drivers or the dimensions BECAUSE of the integrated BSC in the passive crossover. Nobody said anything about trying to make one for the design.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
BSC circuits are often put into crossovers. They should be in all crossovers.

Although an active crossover could perform BSC, it's like using an elephant gun when a flyswatter will get the job done ;). For the low cost of an extra inductor and resistor added to a cap and resistor for a Zobel circuit (which also should always be used), you get a customized circuit that corrects for the very audible diffraction loss so easily heard with narrow cabinets.

Diffraction loss is no where near as difficult to identify and correct as the bass standing waves and cancellations coming from floor, ceiling, and wall reflections.

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
How do I interprete Fb values (the tuning frequency of the port) of a box that I came up with on WinISD??? I mean how does it affect the length and diameter and area of the port?

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
How do I interprete Fb values (the tuning frequency of the port) of a box that I came up with on WinISD??? I mean how does it affect the length and diameter and area of the port?
You got it backwards - the length and area of a port affect the tuning frequency.

Typically the more port area, the longer it has to be to achieve a desired tuning frequency. For example, to get 30hz tuning, a 4" port might have to be only 16 inches long (depending on box size) and a 6" port might have to be 24" long - assuming the net internal box volume remains constant.

This is just a very oversimplified example to make a point.

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
What does this do and how does it work and also where is it used and in what situation???

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
It's essentially a bunch of little drivers together in a compact enclosure and is used for like TV's where you'd like some low extension but don't have much room (built in that is).

From what I've read, these things perform terribly.

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
I assumed so about their performance...thanks

I also have a question on W-bin enclosures for subwoofers, can they be scaled to match the diameter of the drivers? so letsay if a design is made for 10" driver, can you scale the design so that it can fit a 15" driver???

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
I assumed so about their performance...thanks

I also have a question on W-bin enclosures for subwoofers, can they be scaled to match the diameter of the drivers? so letsay if a design is made for 10" driver, can you scale the design so that it can fit a 15" driver???
W-bin as in dipole subwoofer?

and the scaling, yes as far as I know.

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
I don't know about dipole what I was looking at was the following:

http://www.decware.com/whornok.htm

That...I don't know if you can build a new one proportionally to a 15" sub without completely redesigning the horn.

Really, unless you plan on hosting raves every weekend, I'd suggest you just go with a nice ported or sealed sub. No reason to dabble in complicated stuff just yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis