12v trigger ac outlet

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
I was wondering if anyone knew of an affordable 12v trigger ac outlet, so when I turn on the receiver it turns on the dac and equalizer. I see some online for 100 dollars. Seems like I should just buy a surge protector and splice a relay in for that price.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mazurek said:
I was wondering if anyone knew of an affordable 12v trigger ac outlet, so when I turn on the receiver it turns on the dac and equalizer. I see some online for 100 dollars. Seems like I should just buy a surge protector and splice a relay in for that price.

Not sure why you would need an outlet for this? Are you sending the trigger voltage a distance and you want the wires in the wall for looks?
Don't use a 120V outlet for this. You can use speaker terminals and run speaker wires through the wall. You can use banana plugs to it. Lable it.

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
excuse me, I meant that I would like a switched surge protector type thing, not a wall outlet. I basically don't want to waste electricity when I am not around, and the dac and equalizer don't have 12v triggers. How does using speaker wire help, are there affordable 12v trigger switches for them?

something like a niles ac-3, but cheaper.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you're always using the three components together, then I would just suggest that you put them on their own surge protector. Then you can just power all three up with one switch.

I don't know of any inexpensive power switching units that use a 12v trigger. Sorry...

And Mtry is talking out his *** again.

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, I guess that is what I will go with. Its fine for me, I was entertaining the idea before of making it so it was easy enough so that other people could use my stereo.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I don't know about Rotel, but I know that most receivers have a couple of switched outlets on the back. Since the DAC and EQ don't draw much power, they could be used in this fashion.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I'm not sure jaxvon or Mtry, seem to understand what you are talking about. I have read the manual on the Niles AC-3. And see exactly what you are trying to do.

jaxvon. By putting all 3 components on a surge protector and using a switch, is defeating the use of the main unit.

What he wants to do is, be able to use a remote control to turn on his receiver, (Which I am assuming has a 12volt trigger out) The receiver possibly only has one switched outlet. So when he hits the remote it will turn on the one other unit (dvd player, etc..) that is connected to the back of the receiver.

Basically he wants more switched outlets than the 1 that is behind the receiver. And the Niles AC-3 will accept the 12volt trigger to turn on the 2 extra swiched outlets. So now when he turns on the receiver, it has 3 other components that will turn on automatically with it.

The Niles AC-3 will work with any dc 12volt trigger, and has 2 switched outlets and 1 unswitched (which I don't believe he would use), Also it can be daisy chained with an input and output of the 12volt trigger. Each Niles AC-3 would be plugged to a different ac wall socket.

Sorry to say, I don't know of anything else other than the AC-3 that would do this. My suggestion is to go with the AC-3, or buy a AC-3 take it apart, and then build your own after looking inside. Then reselling the AC-3. If I had a 12volt trigger out of my receiver, I would certainly pick up one of the AC-3's.

(Edit:::: jaxvon, did get it but reposted before I had finished writing this.)

Last edited:
M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
well, I should have folowed your advice brian. I went to radioshack, got a relay, fuse, resistors, and some random cables. For whatever reason the relay wasn't triggering, should have just bought the AC3 and copied it if I wanted another. (I love avoiding doing part time work, but if I spent the time working rather than tinkering, I'd have enough money to buy stuff).

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think the reason the relay didn't trip was because the 12v trigger is only a single impulse. A relay needs a constant supply of power to make the electromagnet hold the switch in the "ON" position.

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
Oh, I thought that the 12v trigger would stay on as long as the amplifier was activated. Is there one pulse for on, and another for off? That starts to get above my ability, I'm only a lazy mechanical engineer.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
As far as I know, yes. And even if it was continuous current, I don't think there's much amperage being outputted by the receiver.

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
yeah, you are right about the amperage. It is continuously on as verified by voltmeter, but a trip over to diyaudio says I need a transistor switching a wall power source for my relay. I think the AC3 may need a wall adaptor now that I understand whats going on. It seems like leaving my receiver in standby will consume power, and the AC3 wall adaptor will consume power. Therefore if I want to save energy, the only good way is with a manual switch. For effort, I may just get an AC3 because of the hassle in making something.

Well it seems like low powered devices like the dac and equalizer should be left on, and their flashing lights covered up. Its too bad my amp has no switched outlets.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Check out Xantech

www.xantech.com

Select "products" on the LT side and look for the AC1, AC2, and the 680-10, they are listed under REMOTE CONTROL SWITCHERS

Those might fit the bill. :D

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
JohnA said:
Check out Xantech

www.xantech.com

Select "products" on the LT side and look for the AC1, AC2, and the 680-10, they are listed under REMOTE CONTROL SWITCHERS

Those might fit the bill. :D
Humm, I like the fact that the AC2 can even be controlled by a video signal...
Now what to use it for

D

duenorth

Audiophyte
Hi all -
Have been searching for something similar to the thread here, and found that Russound makes a unit called the ACT-1 that does what mazurek wanted.

It's $89 retail, but you can probably find one cheaper elsewhere. However, bear in mind that Russound doesn't sell nearly anything over the internet, so if you try to buy one there, beware.

I bought one from a non-authorized reseller online, that arrived DOA. I had to refuse the charges on my credit card to get most of my $ back...and Russound won't repair it without charging me, since it's a "non-warranty repair", 'cause of how I acquired the unit. Buyer beware!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Those posts are 3 years old so lets hope he has found something by now:eek::D
Hi all -
Have been searching for something similar to the thread here, and found that Russound makes a unit called the ACT-1 that does what mazurek wanted.

It's $89 retail, but you can probably find one cheaper elsewhere. However, bear in mind that Russound doesn't sell nearly anything over the internet, so if you try to buy one there, beware.

I bought one from a non-authorized reseller online, that arrived DOA. I had to refuse the charges on my credit card to get most of my $ back...and Russound won't repair it without charging me, since it's a "non-warranty repair", 'cause of how I acquired the unit. Buyer beware!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis