$1000 - $1500 Bookshelf Audition

P

PatrickH

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Excuse me for jumping right in with a question (first ever post!). I'm Patrick, and I am looking to replace some B&W DM602 (S1) bookshelf speakers for my main listening room. These will be hooked up to an Anthem MRX 310 (though I could add a dedicated amp if needed). The search for new loudspeakers has begun, and an in-home audition is ongoing, so let's get to the fun stuff:

I ordered two pairs of Monitor Audio Silver (the 1's and the 2's), as well as the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers. I've been experimenting over the past couple weeks with speaker position (mostly), and port plugs (was getting too much LF overhang from Silver 2s). In short, I'm leaning toward the Silver 1s at this point. They look good, sound good, and are right at the low end of the budget.

The rub: I auditioned some Revel Performa3 M105 on Monday. The ability of that pair of speakers to present a convincing and wide soundstage really blew me away. I heard "These Bones" by the Fairfield Four, and the sensation that the singer (the one who joins at ~1:40) was about 6 feet tall, and standing right in front of me, was so strong that it was almost nauseating. You could look at the speaker and believe the sound came from elsewhere. I can't get the Monitor Silver series to disappear like that in my apartment, which gives me pause about spending $1k. I don't know whether I'd be able to get the Revels to do it in my apartment either, but the store doesn't do in-home trials, so I'd need to buy them in order to test out the theory. Obviously the store has preferable listening conditions (room size/treatments), higher-end components (NAD separates), and the listening position is precisely calculated/speakers are toed-in.

Really appreciate any thoughts you all have on what else I should be considering. I would send the Monitor Audios back and buy the Revels if that is the obvious answer.

I got a good chuckle and could easily relate to Dr. Bob's thread "2015, A Loudspeaker Odyssey"...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Really appreciate any thoughts you all have on what else I should be considering. I would send the Monitor Audios back and buy the Revels if that is the obvious answer.
It is not an obvious answer - due to the fact a speaker can sound different
in your room compared to the store - no one can guarantee anything.

However, if you really like the Revels - then keep them in mind.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Patrick, welcome to AH :D. For bookshelf speaker priced from $1000 to $1500, you should get truly excellent sound. I think you had a taste of what that's like with the Revels. Don't settle for less, but keep looking for the best price you can get.

Among the best bookshelves in that price range are 3 internet direct (ID) models that should make an effort to hear. Although I have my own personal preferences, you can't go wrong with any of these. And they probably beat the price of those Revels.

Salk SongSurrounds – even though these are marketed as surround speakers, they make excellent monitors.

Philharmonic Audio Philharmonitors – temporarily not available, but hang in there, they're worth it.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1

Where are you located? If you are near Maryland, contact me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I brought my speakers to the store for comparison purposes in 2 cases. See if they will let you make an appointment to do this.
The in-house auditions required that I buy the speaker then do a return.
In - home is preferred since that is what you will experience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis