-10 RCA to +4 XLR converter

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
thank you. this gives me something to work with. i'll give it a shot, and see what i can find.

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
sooooooo, i tried testing out my equipment, and the cleanbox doesn't work. i ran an rca into the amp from my computer, and the amp and sub definately work. then i hooked up the cleanbox pro, and got nothing. i hooked it up with unbalanced rca in and balanced xlr out, then unbalanced 3.5mm in and balanced xlr out, then even tried unbalanced in and out by running rca in and rca out, and 3.5mm in and rca out. the cleanbox seems to not be doing anything. the cleanbox power light comes on, and the connections are good, so unless i've totally overlooked something, i guess it's a faulty unit.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
sooooooo, i tried testing out my equipment, and the cleanbox doesn't work. i ran an rca into the amp from my computer, and the amp and sub definately work. then i hooked up the cleanbox pro, and got nothing. i hooked it up with unbalanced rca in and balanced xlr out, then unbalanced 3.5mm in and balanced xlr out, then even tried unbalanced in and out by running rca in and rca out, and 3.5mm in and rca out. the cleanbox seems to not be doing anything. the cleanbox power light comes on, and the connections are good, so unless i've totally overlooked something, i guess it's a faulty unit.
Just to be clear, you're connecting the RCA to the unbalanced input on the front and then the XLR to the balanced output on the rear (L unbalanced = balanced out 1 I believe). You are then adjusting the balanced output level (not the unbalanced output level). Is that correct?

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
it's labeled as unbalanced input 1, and unbalanced input 2, then balanced output 1 and balanced output 2, so that part is somewhat idiot proof. as for the level adjustment knobs, there are only 2 and both are labeled unbalanced output. i would post pics for you, but i'm not allowed to yet. but if you search google images for "cleanbox pro" you'll be able to see the front and back panels.

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
oh, i forgot to clarify. yes, i'm connecting the rca to unbalanced input 1 and the xlr to balance output 1. i've also tried it with channel 2, just to be thorough. i sent art and email sat to see if they could help me, but they have not replied. i'm assuming that they only do the mon through fri thing. i'll try to contact them again tomorrow.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I know what it looks and what the manual says, since I have one. The manual clearly states that one of the knobs is for balanced and one is for unbalanced even if it isn't clearly labeled on the box. So unless that's a typo, that's how it should be.

Perhaps it is defective. They should get back to you tomorrow or Tuesday with an email, but could always call.

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
the card that came with mine does state that there are line level/gain controls for both balanced and unbalanced. so i tried to adjust both knobs while it was hooked up regardless of the label on the box. it also says to "loop unbalance outputs to unbalance inputs to provide an inline balanced level/gain control". so i tried that with no results.

i'm really shocked that it does nothing though, considering that i rarely come across faulty electronics when purchased new from a retailer.

thank you for taking the time to try to help me. i'm glad i got in touch with someone who actually owns one, and is not just going off of what they have gathered from others. it's often difficult to discuss things with people who only have second hand knowledge.

is yours just hooked up from unbalanced rca in then balanced xlr out? or did you loop output to input?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going from the sub preouts on my receiver to the unbalanced inputs on the unit and then using the balanced outs. It's great because I'm running more than two subs so not only are the preouts strained anyways driving pro amps, but the signal is also being split making it weaker. This and a Behringer I have in the signal chain help boost the signal back up.

the card that came with mine does state that there are line level/gain controls for both balanced and unbalanced. so i tried to adjust both knobs while it was hooked up regardless of the label on the box. it also says to "loop unbalance outputs to unbalance inputs to provide an inline balanced level/gain control". so i tried that with no results.

i'm really shocked that it does nothing though, considering that i rarely come across faulty electronics when purchased new from a retailer.

thank you for taking the time to try to help me. i'm glad i got in touch with someone who actually owns one, and is not just going off of what they have gathered from others. it's often difficult to discuss things with people who only have second hand knowledge.

is yours just hooked up from unbalanced rca in then balanced xlr out? or did you loop output to input?

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
that's cool. and i'm glad that it worked out for you. i want to add a second sub at some point, but i thought that i should figure out how to get the full potential out of this amp first. and of course it doesn't help me any that nobody that i know has an shs audio amp. they all have crown, qsc, or ev. so i can't even compare my output to another amp just like mine to see if the output from mine is normal. i mean, just because it's rated to push 1200 watts at 2 ohm, doesn't mean it truly does. it's not like it's a really expensive amp, so they could be blowin smoke with their ratings, for all i know. most of the guys i know that dj, or work with concert sound reinforcement have never even heard of shs audio. i purchased it because i had read a few good reviews about it, and it was around $200 new from the music store. and ever since i've wondered if it was a waste of time and money. after testing it with the software you suggested, it sure seems to come alive, so i'm hoping that once i get the voltage from my avr boosted to the amps required level, i'll have a beast on my hands. if that happens, it'll be time for sub #2.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If it worked well with REW, then it's probably just low voltage somewhere. What is your sub level set at on the AVR and what is the crossover point?

that's cool. and i'm glad that it worked out for you. i want to add a second sub at some point, but i thought that i should figure out how to get the full potential out of this amp first. and of course it doesn't help me any that nobody that i know has an shs audio amp. they all have crown, qsc, or ev. so i can't even compare my output to another amp just like mine to see if the output from mine is normal. i mean, just because it's rated to push 1200 watts at 2 ohm, doesn't mean it truly does. it's not like it's a really expensive amp, so they could be blowin smoke with their ratings, for all i know. most of the guys i know that dj, or work with concert sound reinforcement have never even heard of shs audio. i purchased it because i had read a few good reviews about it, and it was around $200 new from the music store. and ever since i've wondered if it was a waste of time and money. after testing it with the software you suggested, it sure seems to come alive, so i'm hoping that once i get the voltage from my avr boosted to the amps required level, i'll have a beast on my hands. if that happens, it'll be time for sub #2.

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
If it worked well with REW, then it's probably just low voltage somewhere. What is your sub level set at on the AVR and what is the crossover point?
that's what's making me crazy about the cleanbox. i figured it was a voltage issue, and hoped that the cleanbox would fix that. i'm hoping it's just a defective unit, or i'm overlooking something really simple that will make me feel stupid once i discover it. because not having this work properly makes me nuts.

i currently have the sub at +6.

the front crossover is set to 60hz. everything below that is supposed to be sent to the sub.

modernprimitive

modernprimitive

Enthusiast
update. spoke to one of the guys at a sound and lighting company about my issues. he told me to bring the cleanbox down and he'd test it out. i brought the rca and xlr cables that i was using to go between the avr, clean box and amp. he set it up how i had it, and it didn't work. then he tested both cables i had brought him, and said that the rca was transfering voltage, but it was very weak, and the resistance was high. so technically the rca cables were working, but not transfering enough voltage for the cleanbox, so he swapped them out and the cleanbox came alive. then we sat around and chatted a bit about fog machines, and old school ev drivers. after that i headed home to run a new rca in the circuit. as expected, the performance of the amp improved without the cleanbox, thanks to the increased current. then added the cleanbox, and wow. so this whole time, it was something stupid. but since i've been using that rca cable for my amp this whole time, i figured it was fine. well, it WAS working, but not well enough to put another piece into the circuit. problem solved. disaster averted. i'm finally happy. well, for now at least. till i get bored with this and decide to build another sub cabinet, and add another 15 to the setup. :)

thank you again for your help. i really apreciate it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis