⚡. . . Power Problems . . . ⚡

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Greetings . . .

Hoping someone can help me w/ this . . .

I recently moved to Germany & my house has both 230V/120V @ 50Hz . . . and below is my gear:

Denon 4311ci: AC 120 V, 60 Hz
Emotiva XPA-5: AC 115 V, 60 Hz/AC 230, 50 Hz
Oppo 103: AC 100V-240V, 50/60Hz
SVS SB13-Ultra: AC 110-120V, 50-60Hz
APC J25B: AC 120V, 50-60Hz

In any case, i don't know enough about electricity to know if I'm going to have problems w/ my gear if I choose to use the 110V 50Hz power supply?

I'd appreciate any guidance -or- suggestions that anyone's willing & able to provide . . . thanks in advance.

(((p.s., I had to make a correction above: from 110V to 120V~~if that makes a difference))).

Regards,

Shek5150

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not a good idea. For the AVR and amps, if the voltage is 100V then at least the power supply won't be at risk, but you won't get the same performance. Don't do it if you want your equipment to last and perform to their fullest. Exception: Your SVS Ultra should be fine with 100V 50 Hz base on the specs you provided, but not 110V.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Not a good idea. For the AVR and amps, if the voltage is 100V then at least the power supply won't be at risk, but you won't get the same performance. Don't do it if you want your equipment to last and perform to their fullest. Exception: Your SVS Ultra should be fine with 100V 50 Hz base on the specs you provided, but not 110V.
Thanks Peng . . . would you have any suggestions?

p.s., I had to make a correction in my original post (I inadvertently cited the house as 230 & 110V, 50Hz; whereas I should have read 230 & 120V, 50Hz) . . . anyway, does that effect your reply?

Thanks again . . .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Peng . . . would you have any suggestions?

p.s., I had to make a correction in my original post (I inadvertently cited the house as 230 & 110V, 50Hz; whereas I should have read 230 & 120V, 50Hz) . . . anyway, does that effect your reply?

Thanks again . . .
As I said before, the 120V 60 Hz units can work with 100V 50 Hz safety but performance will suffer. If you house is wired for 120V 50 Hz, that is obviously worse than 110V. The inductance and impedance of the power supply transformer are directly proportional to the line fequency. That means the 120V 60 Hz rated transformer, such as the one in your AVR-4311 will drawer higher current than it is designed for when connected to a 50 Hz system; and that is obviously not good for more than one reason. You could possibly buy (or get one custom made) a step down transformer/frequency converter but a cleaner solution is to just sell all your equipment and buy new ones that are designed for use with 120V 50 Hz.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Nowadays most countries in Europe have 230V 50 Hz. In the past some countries had 220V, others had 240V and that got harmonised to 230V. A long time ago 110V was used in several countries.

Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
Hey Peng . . .

Thanks again for your replies . . . definitely appreciated . . . I have a followup for you---if I may.

I received a reply from
Lonnie Vaughn (@ Emotiva) and he stated that the XPA-5 would be fine running on the 120W-50Hz . . . and that got me to thinking . . . if I'm running this amp & I've shut off the amp inside the Dennon (AVR 4311ci) . . . then would I be cool to run the Denon under these circumstances w/ the XPA providing my power?

Thanks again & sorry for the bother . . .

Shek5150​

Last edited by a moderator:
Shek5150

Shek5150

Audioholic
I thought I'd post the latest info regarding my initial 'transcontinental electrical dilemma' . . . anyway, in addition to hearing from Emotiva, I received a reply from both Denon & Samsung. This was Denon's emailed reply to my inquiry:

"Regarding your question, as long as the electrical in the home supports 120V, then it's safe to use the 4311 there. A 50 or 60 Hz cycle won't have an effect on the receiver."

As far as Samsung goes, I couldn't get them to reply to my emails to save my life; however, I spoke w/ Samsung tech reps (on two occasions) and they assured me that the cycle rate wouldn't 'likely' affect the TV . . . additionally, they referred to an internal circuit breaker that would be tripped before any damage would be done (one said that was the worst case scenario). . . I was told that 'likely' was the most definitive response they could give . . . (((Excuse the personal rant; but it's beyond me that a global company like Samsung would produce a higher end model, like the 8000 series, TV that isn't dual voltage . . . I have two lower end Sony TVs and both are dual voltage . . . anyway, go figure))).

In any case, I just wanted to post a follow-up in case anyone else would be in this situation . . .

Regards,

Shek

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well dual voltage costs money. Keep in mind that almost all NTSC regions are also ~100 volt.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis