Speaker Suggestions for 55W per Channel Stereo Amplifier

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
Hello.

I have an classic (80's) stereo amplifier (stereo integrated amplifier).
So the speakers i had were 4 ohms, but the amplifier is 8 ohms and when i volumed up they started smelling. Read on the internet that the impedance should be the same because when it's smaller, the amplifier is giving more power... (if i understood correctly).

Amp specs:
220W Total Power
4 Speakers Output (2:8Ω --- please explain this)

So it's stereo (left and right channel)

Any suggestions of speakers would be nice!
I want something powerful and classic. I don't want the speakers to be new, i want something that will match the amplifier time (something from the 80's - 90's)

And one more question:
Is this amplifier powerful, or should i purchase a new one? :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My guess is the amp was getting warm with the lower impedance load. Yes, getting a pair of easier to drive speakers will probably be beneficial. Something that has a sensitivity around 90 or higher would probably be good, though something that doesn't extend as low would be good.

Whether or not that one is powerful enough is hard to say as that depends on how loud you intend to listen and how big your room is.

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
My guess is the amp was getting warm with the lower impedance load. Yes, getting a pair of easier to drive speakers will probably be beneficial. Something that has a sensitivity around 90 or higher would probably be good, though something that doesn't extend as low would be good.

Whether or not that one is powerful enough is hard to say as that depends on how loud you intend to listen and how big your room is.
No not really. The speaker cone starts to smell bad. The amplifier doesn't even have a cooler :) It's from the 80's. So it gets warm but you can barely feel it.

And yes, i love loud music. My "loudness button" is always turned on! My room is not that big. For measures, i don't know. I will measure it tomorrow (unless i forget).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you want it louder then more sensitive speakers and a bigger amp are the way to go long term. If something is starting to smell it could be a voice coil overheating or something in the crossover (old caps or resistors). Probably voice coil and feeding a driver with an underpowered amp will create distortion which in turn will heat up the drivers and that is not good.

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
If you want it louder then more sensitive speakers and a bigger amp are the way to go long term. If something is starting to smell it could be a voice coil overheating or something in the crossover (old caps or resistors). Probably voice coil and feeding a driver with an underpowered amp will create distortion which in turn will heat up the drivers and that is not good.
Exactly. But in my case i have overpowered amplifier and different impedance.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Whats your budget? You might really like some of the vintage klipsch stuff.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello.

I have an classic (80's) stereo amplifier (stereo integrated amplifier).
So the speakers i had were 4 ohms, but the amplifier is 8 ohms and when i volumed up they started smelling. Read on the internet that the impedance should be the same because when it's smaller, the amplifier is giving more power... (if i understood correctly).

Amp specs:
220W Total Power
4 Speakers Output (2:8Ω --- please explain this)

So it's stereo (left and right channel)

Any suggestions of speakers would be nice!
I want something powerful and classic. I don't want the speakers to be new, i want something that will match the amplifier time (something from the 80's - 90's)

And one more question:
Is this amplifier powerful, or should i purchase a new one? :)
What make & model of amp and speakers?

Coolzrock

Coolzrock

Audioholic Intern
What make & model of amp and speakers?
I forgot the model :)
It's JVC A-K20 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

And about the speakers... i need a suggestion, and the current one are history (there is no information about the speakers anywhere!).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis