paradigm great speakers?

S

STEELHEART

Audioholic Intern
well iv'e decided not to build my own speakers and go with a well known brand
i hope, i'm looking into the paradigm monitor line, if anyone owns these speakers and can tell me the pros and cons of owning them it will make my decision easier. also i was at my local tweeter store last year and the salseman showed me a set of sapphire towers, he said that the company is brand new and so i'd like to know if anyone has any info on these speakers as well.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
My .02 Paradigm is a decent speaker and the company is a marketing machine there are some very talented people in the advertising department at that speaker company ;)

M

MarkOcena

Audioholic Intern
Paradigm Studio 40 vII

I recently bought a pair of Studio 40 vII in upgrading my system and I've been impressed with their performance for the money. Sure, there's also bigger and better out there but Paradigm's are known to be near, in not at the top, of speakers in their price range. Some brands that you can also consider for this kind of money: Axiom (online only), B&W, Monitor Audio. In the end you really have to listen to the speakers you have available and pick the one that you think sounds best in your system. Paradigms are well built, and you can see them taken apart in one of the Speaker Face-off at this site. The new Monitor series just came out, and I don't know how they sound compared to the previous generation. But from when I was comparing the Studio versus the Monitor series, the biggest difference I found was the Studios gave are better sharper centre focus of vocals (imaging) and what I thought was more realistic sounding bass instruments (bass guitar, kick drum) with a sub running. Good luck with your selection.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Sapphire is Tweeter's own house brand. The only thing I suggest is that you don't get fooled by their pricing...since it's their own brand, they can't give the impression of a sale because the MSRP is artificially high.

Paradigm has been a longtime dominant high value speaker maker, designing, and manufacturing all their own components all in Canada (many other smaller makers buy off-the-shelf parts like drivers). They have world class facilities and R&D team.

Their Monitor series is a popular series, many MANY people swear by them. I've used them as references when speaker shopping for myself as they are considered pretty neutral speakers, and are all-rounders....that is, they don't have any obvious sonic flaws. I'd put Paradigm model in the top 10 speakers worth considering at any price range they play in.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Options!

Right on RLA...Paradigm are extremely over-rated, as long as one does not extend themselves above the entry level series. In the $750/above price range, they are easily overshadowed.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
I'm no expert but having spent a great deal of time on this and other audio fora, having auditioned a fair number of speakers, and having read a lot of audio magazines, my sense is that Paradigm is widely respected for manufacturing excellent speakers at all price points. They are particularly noted for giving a lot of bang for the buck.

Speaker sound, IMO, is too subjective to make blanket statements that speaker A is better sounding than speaker B at any given price point, but the view that Paradigm is over-rated is, I believe, a view held by few.

As to Paradigm being easily overshadowed in the $750/above price range, go into an audio store that carries both Paradigm and B&W. Audition the B&W 705's (MSRP $1500/pr) and ask the salesman to show you something comparable in sound in the Paradigm line; he will probably direct you to the $800/pr Studio 20's.

IMO, making gratuitous comments that suggest that a given speaker brand, particularly one as popular as Paradigm, is over-rated is getting pretty close to trolling.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I like Paradigms, I really do. To be fair all I've ever heard from them are their entry level atoms and titans and some Reference series speakers. So in other words only the cheapest and the most expensive, nothing in between. What I'd suggest, like I always do, is to audition some PSB speakers. You can get some B2's on clearance for about $250 by looking at soundicity.com (authorized dealer), or a local dealer. They will really stack up to the Paradigm monitor level bookshelf models. Also like someone already stated look at some Monitor Audio. I'm sold on their Bronze 2 bookshelfs. The best advice anyone here can tell you is to listen to as many different speakers as you can. Then listen to them again. Comparing them side by side is best. Get whatever you think sounds the best, even if it is those saphires you mentioned. You should make this a fun experience for yourself. You get to get out, play with toys, spend some cash, and so on. Anyway, god luck and let us know what you get and how you like em.

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Studios

I have a pair oe Studio 60 v3s and I love them. My only problem is i need to buy a house so I can crank them up! :D . I have not heard the lower models but I can vouch for the quality in the product I have.

grd4spd

grd4spd

Audioholic Intern
im considering the Paradigm AMS Series (ams 350/300) inwall speakers for use in my HT system and general music listening activities.

im also looking at the Paradigm VC-150 volume control unit(s)....will be using 3 of them, one will be outside.

has anyone had any experience with these products? if so what are your thoughts?

thanks in advance!

terry

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
jimmit said:
IMO, making gratuitous comments that suggest that a given speaker brand, particularly one as popular as Paradigm, is over-rated is getting pretty close to trolling.
Bose is very popular too.

Don't get excited, it's just my opinion. Also, keep in mind that there are other competitors than just B&W.

J

jimmit

Junior Audioholic
cornelius said:
Bose is very popular too.

Don't get excited, it's just my opinion. Also, keep in mind that there are other competitors than just B&W.
Saying "It's just my opinion" is not always a valid justification for saying something. Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there's a way of couching it so as to not to be confrontational. By your logic if I said Green Mountain Audio speakers suck, I could justify my statement by saying, "It's just my opinion." If I'm not particularly enamoured with Green Mountain Audio speakers, isn't it better to say that they're not my cup of tea or I prefer another brand? You know, there are ways of expressing one's opinions on this forum without trashing other speakers.

I recognize there are other competitors to Paradigm.

By the way, I've never heard Green Mountain Audio speakers. I'm sure they sound very nice.

And finally, I'm not excited.

M

mr. guy

Audiophyte
There are a lot of great speakers out there, the issue at any price point is not over quality, but over personal taste. Having said that, I must admit that I own Paradigm speakers and have been very happy with them, and would consider upgrading to more expensive Paradigm models.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
cornelius said:
Right on RLA...Paradigm are extremely over-rated, as long as one does not extend themselves above the entry level series. In the $750/above price range, they are easily overshadowed.
The problem with posts like these is that they really don't provide any information. What's wrong with Paradigm's over $750? Name the speakers which are better (specific models) and why.

Here is another opinion which is a bit more credible.
http://stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/105paradigm/

Doesn't seem too shabby to me even at $2300 a pair. Stereophile rating: Highly Recommended.

I have no stake in Paradigm either way. I don't own Paradigm speakers except for a set of in-wall speakers that sound rather good.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
HTML:
Here is another opinion which is a bit more credible
Ohhh Please!! :rolleyes: How many Paradigm ads did you see in that same issue?
Like I said Paradigm is a well oiled marketing machine ;)

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Ok, getting back to the original post - I jumped on the bandwagon when I read RLA's post.

As alternatives to Paradigm I would suggest listening to the following:
Dynaudio Audience Series
Audio Note AX AZ series
Sequerra Met 7.7 MkIV
NSM M5
Ohm Microwalsh Tall

In a nutshell, the above speakers beat out Paradigm in what I consider very important - tonal (and harmonic) balance and accuracy. Paradigms do many things competently, but they just don't have the mid-range resolve that makes recorded instruments sound real. I've made live, unprocessed recordings in venues that I know very well, and have yet to hear Paradigms sound more natural and involving than the speakers listed above.

So there you go, some alternatives to try. Just file away what I've said, and if upon auditioning a pair of Paradigms anyone disagrees, then fine - in the end it just comes down to your opinion.

Also, never base a purchasing decision on a Stereophile review.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Are these "alternatives" in the same price range as Paradigm? Or are they 3X as much?

Also, I know of no place in the Seattle area that I can demo these much less purchase them.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "well oiled marketing machine" is, but I've only met one person who has heard of paradigm (outside of some salesmen). I have no reason to defend Paradigm as I don't own any of speakers (save 2 PDR-10 subs that I found in a pawn shop for $100/ea), but I found them to be quite smooth & impressive (Studio 100's), perhaps a bit laid back. I much prefer their sound to the Klipsch of the same cost.

This is where my lack of experience tends to hurt me as I have not been intensely involved in the A/V world for quite a while, & even years ago I didn't know much about separates or "delicacy" speakers. I'd love to be able to sample ALL the brands mentioned on this site...........not that I'm ready to buy them now but I do plan on upgrading.

grd4spd

grd4spd

Audioholic Intern
I have no stake in Paradigm either way. I don't own Paradigm speakers except for a set of in-wall speakers that sound rather good.
which inwall Paradigms do you have? i am very interested in the offerings they have.....if you like you can post your thoughts on the topic i have here....

Anyone use Paradigm AMS inwall Series speakers?

Like I said Paradigm is a well oiled marketing machine

oiled or not they sound good to my ears. ;)

regards,
terry

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
grd4spd said:
which inwall Paradigms do you have? i am very interested in the offerings they have.....if you like you can post your thoughts on the topic i have here....terry
I have the CS-60R which is quite different from the ones you posted about.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis