Denon AVR-5805 Receiver - First Look

T

ted_b

Audiophyte
Gene,
My first post here. Hi. I'm one of those sit-in-sweetspot audiophiles, but am absolutely enamored with the MultEQ capabilities of thee 5805, along with d-link, etc. Given that you have been leaking little ditties about the full 5805 review (clean preamp section, etc.) I have been wondering about something.

I have a lot invested in dedicated stereo listening(and 7.1 surround but that's a second issue, which I will give the crown to MultEQ for the time being, even without hearing it), including a modded tubed SACD player (Modwright 999ES Platinum), tubed Modwright linestage, RealTrap room acoustic treatments, etc. And noticed that your site reviewed a modded SACD player recently and liked the result, albeit expensive. OK, so....the value proposition for someone like me is that the 5805/3910 combo simplifies my interconnect and amp life, simplifies the myriad of DVD-A and SACD connections, allows me to dump my Lexicon MC-1, my Krell KSA-100, my Krell KVA-250, my Modwright pre and SACD players, my Technics DVD-A player, a bunch of innterconect, etc. BUT, does the 5805/3910 combo deliver an audiophile-quality (MultEQ'd or not, whatever) stereo image/soundstage that would allow me to do this paradigm shift.

Net/net, can you compare the stereo image out of the modded audio outs of a 3910 (analog) vs the MultEQ'd presentation out of the d-linked 3910/5805? (And I guess it would have to be redbook or DVD-A, cuz SACD still needs the analog outs, right?) I'd love to know if the MultEQ and d-link benefits outweight the "digitalness" of the solution for us resolution-hungry audiophiles.

Thx,

Ted

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis