Denon AVR 3310 frozen while updating

J

jsgosin

Audiophyte
I attempted to update the firmware on my Denon 3310. I used a hard wired internet connection with a confirmed strong signal. The update began ueventfully but when it reached the part: Ether IMG the update froze and gave me the error "ConnectionFailAC" Every time I restart it, the same thing happens. Now the receiver is frozen and since it is the hub of my system, nothing works (my TV is a monitor, so no speakers!)

I don't know if there might be a problem on the "Denon end" with their server or if there is a problem with my receiver. At this point, I just want to be able to get things up and running. Does anyone have any suggestion? Will a hard reset of the receiver to the factory defaults get it working?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't see a firmware update for the 3310 on the Denon website.

Can you link the update for me?:confused:

J

jsgosin

Audiophyte
I don't know the number. The receiver gave me a prompt that there is an update available so I clicked to install it. It said it would be about 12 minutes. All seemed fine for about 8 minutes until the problem started. I have restarted it at least a half dozen times now and it locks up at the same point each time.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know the number. The receiver gave me a prompt that there is an update available so I clicked to install it. It said it would be about 12 minutes. All seemed fine for about 8 minutes until the problem started. I have restarted it at least a half dozen times now and it locks up at the same point each time.
You can't link me where you clicked?:confused:

J

jsgosin

Audiophyte
I might not understand your question, sorry. I updated it from the receiver, not a computer. I think I was in the network menu and I clicked through the GUI to check for software update. It found one, so I clicked to install it. I hope that information helps. Thanks for your help.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I might not understand your question, sorry. I updated it from the receiver, not a computer. I think I was in the network menu and I clicked through the GUI to check for software update. It found one, so I clicked to install it. I hope that information helps. Thanks for your help.
How can you install an update without a network connection?

And when you say "click", I assume mouse.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It sounds to me like you found the option in your menu to install an update.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
It sounds to me like you found the option in your menu to install an update.
There is an option to update and or upgrade, I think the upgrade must be done first, also this option can be turned off so as not to prompt the user to do it, especially when it may not be a needed upgrade to most users.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
There is an option to update and or upgrade, I think the upgrade must be done first, also this option can be turned off so as not to prompt the user to do it, especially when it may not be a needed upgrade to most users.
I am just trying to get to the point there has to be a network connection, correct?

Certainly you can't just have the thing plugged into the wall, and select to install an update in the menu.

J

jsgosin

Audiophyte
How can you install an update without a network connection?

And when you say "click", I assume mouse.
I meant clicked the prompt that came up on the TV screen via the GUI. There is a network connection. The AVR has a direct connection to my network. The whole house is hard wired and it works fine everywhere. It is just this application that that is failing which makes me think that the problem is either at the site (Denon) that the update is coming from, with the software itself, or with the receiver. To clarify, this is an update, not an upgrade.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I meant clicked the prompt that came up on the TV screen via the GUI. There is a network connection. The AVR has a direct connection to my network. The whole house is hard wired and it works fine everywhere. It is just this application that that is failing which makes me think that the problem is either at the site (Denon) that the update is coming from, with the software itself, or with the receiver. To clarify, this is an update, not an upgrade.
Apparently those receivers have bad network and HDMI cards, and this is a known problem. According to the user site, they stop streaming whether you update or not.

It seems they are lemons.

highfigh

highfigh

I attempted to update the firmware on my Denon 3310. I used a hard wired internet connection with a confirmed strong signal. The update began ueventfully but when it reached the part: Ether IMG the update froze and gave me the error "ConnectionFailAC" Every time I restart it, the same thing happens. Now the receiver is frozen and since it is the hub of my system, nothing works (my TV is a monitor, so no speakers!)

I don't know if there might be a problem on the "Denon end" with their server or if there is a problem with my receiver. At this point, I just want to be able to get things up and running. Does anyone have any suggestion? Will a hard reset of the receiver to the factory defaults get it working?
Do a hard reset by using the small power button to turn it off and then, while holding the surround mode buttons in, use the same power button to turn it on. Keep pressing the mode buttons for at least 5 seconds and release them. You'll see the screen light up most of the LCD segments and it will finish resetting shortly after. Try the update again. If you still can't get it to work, do a connection speed test using that cable connected to a computer. If that's normal, reset the network card by turning the receiver off the same way as before. Then, press the Up and Down buttons on the circular Up/Down/Right/Left set and turn it on, holding them in for about 5 seconds before releasing them. Once it's done resetting, go to Menu, Manual Setup, Networking and verify that it has an IP address. If it does, do the update again.

If you did the whole setup and want to avoid doing it again, you can save the configuration as long as the receiver is connecting to the network. In your case, do the network reset first and see if it works. If not, write all of your settings down and reset the processor.

J

jsgosin

Audiophyte
Do a hard reset by using the small power button to turn it off and then, while holding the surround mode buttons in, use the same power button to turn it on. Keep pressing the mode buttons for at least 5 seconds and release them. You'll see the screen light up most of the LCD segments and it will finish resetting shortly after. Try the update again. If you still can't get it to work, do a connection speed test using that cable connected to a computer. If that's normal, reset the network card by turning the receiver off the same way as before. Then, press the Up and Down buttons on the circular Up/Down/Right/Left set and turn it on, holding them in for about 5 seconds before releasing them. Once it's done resetting, go to Menu, Manual Setup, Networking and verify that it has an IP address. If it does, do the update again.

If you did the whole setup and want to avoid doing it again, you can save the configuration as long as the receiver is connecting to the network. In your case, do the network reset first and see if it works. If not, write all of your settings down and reset the processor.
Highfigh,

Thank you for the information. The reset of the network card cleared the error and allowed me to redo to update. All is working now. It did reset all of my settings (even without the hard reset of the whole system) but it was a small price to pay to get my system back. Thanks again.

highfigh

highfigh

Highfigh,

Thank you for the information. The reset of the network card cleared the error and allowed me to redo to update. All is working now. It did reset all of my settings (even without the hard reset of the whole system) but it was a small price to pay to get my system back. Thanks again.
Now that you're back up and running, do the setup and save it by entering the receiver's IP address in your address bar and selecting Setup Menu. There's a list at the left side and you'll want to click on 'Save'. You can also do a lot of the setup from that menu. Once it has been saved (to a computer, not a USB drive), you can save it to a disc, USB drive, e-mail it, etc. If you need to re-install it, you would click 'Load' and select the location.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis