New DIY MTM Towers designed by Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
any idea how much the NaO Note costs to build?
Here is a rough cost of the driver complement alone though i'm sure you could save with some bargain hunting.

There aren't any resistors in the passive crossover, but i'd randomly guess the crossover components will be around 300 dollars or so, give or take. The second ER18 woofer is rolled of low in order to keep driver spacing great, and the discovery/ER18 crossover is around 1khz so it's probably not overly cheap. The discovery/Neo3 crossover is all the way up at 6khz so it should be pretty cheap. I think it's 2nd order but i'm not sure.

The ER18 / Peerless crossover, and all dipole equalization, and general response forming, is done actively instead of with resistors.

So it would cost me around 200 for a miniDSP if that's the route I went (or i guess i could use the one I have, but I don't think I would). It can also be done with opamps and capacitors in the analogue realm but that's too much soldering. :eek:

Finally you would need four separate amplifier channels. Two to drive everything above 120hz and two to drive the woofers.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Here is a rough cost of the driver complement alone though i'm sure you could save with some bargain hunting.

There aren't any resistors in the passive crossover, but i'd randomly guess the crossover components will be around 300 dollars or so, give or take. The second ER18 woofer is rolled of low in order to keep driver spacing great, and the discovery/ER18 crossover is around 1khz so it's probably not overly cheap. The discovery/Neo3 crossover is all the way up at 6khz so it should be pretty cheap. I think it's 2nd order but i'm not sure.

The ER18 / Peerless crossover, and all dipole equalization, and general response forming, is done actively instead of with resistors.

So it would cost me around 200 for a miniDSP if that's the route I went (or i guess i could use the one I have, but I don't think I would). It can also be done with opamps and capacitors in the analogue realm but that's too much soldering. :eek:

Finally you would need four separate amplifier channels. Two to drive everything above 120hz and two to drive the woofers.
That's not that bad at all. I wonder how they sound. Have you heard them before, or do you know someone that has built them? After I finish making the upgrades in my home, I plan on building some speakers for a 2.0 or 2.1 system only. i have no idea on which one to go with. It seems there are many great performing speaker builds out there.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
That's not that bad at all. I wonder how they sound. Have you heard them before, or do you know someone that has built them? After I finish making the upgrades in my home, I plan on building some speakers for a 2.0 or 2.1 system only. i have no idea on which one to go with. It seems there are many great performing speaker builds out there.
How do they sound? Probably good. The horizontal polars are some of the best i've seen and vertical/horizontal early reflections are more attenuated than your average speaker because of the dipole null so reflection based coloration shouldn't be an issue, and that should help the stereo image.

The drivers are critically damped in the open baffle and the back wave reflections should add spaciousness and soundstage depth as long as you place them decently. Whether you want to add absorption, diffusion, glass, or just bare walls behind the speakers would probably be based on your experimentation and preference. I don't think I would add much.

Being dipole speakers (with a shift to a cardioid-ish pattern) they probably have some of the least room dependent bass you could ask for. At the very least, dipoles seem to take the width and height modes/nodes fairly out of the equation, and load the depth null differently similar to a multi sub approach. No stuffing your room with ugly bass traps ;P

I think four ten inch drivers in a U-Frame should still hold their own well enough for most people. I'm sure there's designs with deeper bass or more output but this is my choice. The U-Frame loads the room supposedly even better than the dipole mains so I want to experience it for myself.

Does that mean I think they are the best option? Dunno. You might even find the 600 bucks for a pair of ER18s to be all you ever want to spend on speakers ;)

As far as subjective opinions you'll probably find some online for his earlier Nao 2 and Nao Mini designs. Not sure if anyone has built the Note besides him, yet.

Last edited:
Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
How do they sound? Probably good. The horizontal polars are some of the best i've seen and vertical/horizontal early reflections are more attenuated than your average speaker because of the dipole null so reflection based coloration shouldn't be an issue, and that should help the stereo image.

The drivers are critically damped in the open baffle and the back wave reflections should add spaciousness and soundstage depth as long as you place them decently. Whether you want to add absorption, diffusion, glass, or just bare walls behind the speakers would probably be based on your experimentation and preference. I don't think I would add much.

Being dipole speakers (with a shift to a cardioid-ish pattern) they probably have some of the least room dependent bass you could ask for. At the very least, dipoles seem to take the width and height modes/nodes fairly out of the equation, and load the depth null differently similar to a multi sub approach. No stuffing your room with ugly bass traps ;P

I think four ten inch drivers in a U-Frame should still hold their own well enough for most people. I'm sure there's designs with deeper bass or more output but this is my choice. The U-Frame loads the room supposedly even better than the dipole mains so I want to experience it for myself.

Does that mean I think they are the best option? Dunno. You might even find the 600 bucks for a pair of ER18s to be all you ever want to spend on speakers ;)

As far as subjective opinions you'll probably find some online for his earlier Nao 2 and Nao Mini designs. Not sure if anyone has built the Note besides him, yet.
Be the guinea pig and build them lol..that way we'll know if they are as good as the measurements show :D If they are, then I'll build them too haha

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Tomorrow-

Sure, I'd be interested in participating. I had no idea there was any kind of annual speaker event in Oregon. Looks like they've been oriented towards auditioning commercial speakers ? And this year you are considering adding a DIY angle also I guess. I don't have anything fancy at this point, but I could bring one good pair (two if you are desperate). Maybe by that time I'll have completed the pair I'm researching for now.

Took a look at the 2010 link you posted, great picture of the coast !. And Dennis Murphy was there, did I read that right ?? A long way from Maryland, but, the Oregon Coast is worth the trip even without a speaker event, IMO.

Don't know what weekend you are aiming for, but , my wife's birthday is on 9/28 so that would be out for me.

I'll look for your updates on this.

David

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Tomorrow-

Sure, I'd be interested in participating. I had no idea there was any kind of annual speaker event in Oregon. Looks like they've been oriented towards auditioning commercial speakers ? And this year you are considering adding a DIY angle also I guess. I don't have anything fancy at this point, but I could bring one good pair (two if you are desperate). Maybe by that time I'll have completed the pair I'm researching for now.

Took a look at the 2010 link you posted, great picture of the coast !. And Dennis Murphy was there, did I read that right ?? A long way from Maryland, but, the Oregon Coast is worth the trip even without a speaker event, IMO.

Don't know what weekend you are aiming for, but , my wife's birthday is on 9/28 so that would be out for me.

I'll look for your updates on this.

David
I'll keep you on our list, David. But my "IF we have a 2011 event" statement includes a pretty big IF. We kind of ran out of energy after last year's event. We're getting older and slower and the wives are getting...uh...wivier. ;) These things gain momentum and end up requiring a lot of investment in energy, time, and resources. But it has been a great experience for us all. We'll see what happens over the next couple of months. We change up what we do every year in order to keep it fresh for everyone. Thus the DIY idea for this year.

Yep, Dennis was here, but for much too short a time...just two days. The Salks were here the year before along with speaker designers from Aperion, RBH, and Skiing Ninja. You would have enjoyed that event. Wonderful folks...as are most in this hobby. We've had terrific support from the industry for our GTG's. Speaking of which, if you're in the Portland area, you should take in a visit to Aperion...more good people with lots of audio mojo.

Good cheer.

RJ

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
We're getting older and slower and the wives are getting...uh...wivier. ;) These things gain momentum and end up requiring a lot of investment in energy, time, and resources........

Speaking of which, if you're in the Portland area, you should take in a visit to Aperion...more good people with lots of audio mojo.

Good cheer.

RJ
Those wives, I see them mentioned, talked about, factored in on every speaker forum I visit. Mine's pretty good though, she doesn't mind the speaker hobby too much as long as I save for my expenditures.

I will take a visit to Aperion, I wonder what you can get for $800, and how would it compare with the ER18 under question. I've read that the rule of thumb is for every dollar invested in a DIY speaker you spend five times that amount at retail to equal the quality. So, I would have to buy a 3000 speaker to roughly equal my $600 spent on the ER18. Actually, that would be an interesting hypothesis to test out if you have the Lincoln City event this year.

David

J

Jeff G

Enthusiast
Update on the speakers

Hey guys,
Sorry for the lag to get an update posted.

I've been listening to the speakers for about 1 month now.
System:
-ER-18s
-Squeezebox 2 with modded PS
-MHDT Paradesia Plus NOS with WE 396
-YS audio Symphonies plus preamp with JJ tesla tubes
-ClassD audio SDS 254 amp (250 x2 into 4 ohms)
-cables-cheap Kimber and Cardas

I built the ribbon version.

The room is about 20 x 25. Not treated and too live. Bass is particuarly ragged lots of EQ on the IB sub). There is a HT bulkhead between the speakers (hindsight....). The ER-18s are about 1' in front of the font plane of the cabinet. My HT rig has an IB sub but this is not used for music.

Me- old (49 yo). Too many years playing music standing next to a ride cymbal (usually with cigarette buts in my ears). Prefers acoustic music (jazz, folk, etc), rock or classical. Played saxophone for many years in my youth. Well aquainted with what instruments and live music sounds like.

I feel like the strengths of the ER-18 are:
Neutrality- These are very accurate speakers in my estimation. Not bright. Not boomy.

Imaging- These things throw a great soundstage and instruments have are layered fron to back and extend wel past the speaker width. I love this about the speakers. To me, this is their best strength.

Vocals sound great. Natural and neutral and well integrated into the soundstage. Horns sound like they should. Brass has the appropriate bite. Mine are truly a little hot, but I know that is my room. I can hear lots of detail that was not evident before. There appear to be very revealing without being strident to my ears.

High WAF. They look nicer than others I was considering.

Other stuff-

Bass response- Not knocking down the doors, but adequate. The speakers play plenty low for acoustic music. To my estimation, at least 40 hz. They are not rattling the walls or moving copious amount of air. Bass is tuneful and tight. My room is pretty large (500 sq ft with 9 foot ceilings) but bass is certainly adequate for me. I'm sure a 3 way with a 10" or 12" woofer would fill things out better but that is not a fair fight. BTW, my port was 1/4" smaller than recommended and i cut is slightly shorter so my guys are not built strictly to spec. i like the bass but it is only a relative strength (for 7" MTMs) and not an absolute strength. Nice bass. no slam.

Overall, I really like these speakers. They best my Modulas (these are not optimally setup), they are better than the Zaph budget ($200) MTM. Should not be a surprise. I heard some $10,000 Thiels with NAD electronics (in a different room) that sounded crazy clean, although a bit sterile. I thought the Theils were significantly better (duh). Sorry for not having a more appropriate comparison.

I would build them again. My electronics and room feel like they are limiting the speakers at this point.
JG

Attachments

jinjuku

jinjuku

Hey guys,

I've been listening to the speakers for about 1 month now.
System:
-ER-18s
-Squeezebox 2 with modded PS
-MHDT Paradesia Plus NOS with WE 396
-YS audio Symphonies plus preamp with JJ tesla tubes
-ClassD audio SDS 254 amp (250 x2 into 4 ohms)
-cables-cheap Kimber and Cardas
I think your electronics are mostly fine. The room looks to be suspect. Then I would move on to electronics.

I would, just as an experiment, go SB2 direct to amp. But the SB2 SQ (it's internal DAC) isn't that great (manufacturer freely admits to it). See what slimming down the chain does. It's quick, and it's free.

What I am saying is try getting the tubed gear out of the chain. If I read this right you are going tubed DAC to tubed pre-amp?

D

David LR

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys,
Prefers acoustic music (jazz, folk, etc), rock or classical. Played saxophone for many years in my youth. Well aquainted with what instruments and live music sounds like.
Jeff-

Thanks for the review, I appreciate it. These speakers are on my short list
for the next build. Beautiful looking speakers also. Love the veneer, what wood is that ??

Regarding orchestral music, how do they do with violins ? I'm so tired of screechy, harsh, strident violins on my current speakers, although I think my electronics have something to do with that also.

Interesting comparing your impressions with Skylines. Both of you mention the spaciousness of the soundstage, the width & depth of the presentation.
Skyline seems to be a little more impressed with the bass than you, but, that could be due to room factors as well. Anything unique or different to the tweeter sound attributed to the ribbon ? I've never actually heard a ribbon tweeter so just curious.

Anyway, thanks again. Enjoy the speaks.

David

J

Jeff G

Enthusiast
Love the veneer, what wood is that ??
It's Makore. Got it from

look on their Specials page. it is not paper-backed and was a bugger to get he seams to stay tight ( I book matched the veneer). I used a heat activated glue with an iron.

Regarding orchestral music, how do they do with violins ?
I think they are pretty accurate. not screechy to my ears. Remember all my observations are biased my room and gear (not to mention my ears).

Anything unique or different to the tweeter sound attributed to the ribbon ? I've never actually heard a ribbon tweeter so just curious.
Nothing special to me. Just sound nice. Seem to be pretty durable so far. I like listening to acoustic music at realisitic levels depending on wholes sleeping (Orchestral stuff is an exception).

Please don't get the idea I don't like the bass. It is there, just not feeling it pound me in the chest.

JG

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
2.I have built the "SR71" which Zaph designed with the same midrange of er18. Will this plan get real improvement in sound stage or quality from Sr71?
Braves, how close are you to Oklahoma? If you're too far away, I'd probably, just maybe, be willing to have you ship your SR71's to my house and I'll give em a thorough comparison :D.......but seriously.

Here's my progress on the ER-18s. it has been a slow process. Two kids (2,5 and 10mos) and the younger one has been in the hospital a bit. Doing better now:eek:

My shop is usually messy this is a new low. Embarrassed to make it public.:eek:
Soon....very soon...now for a new preamp
Jeff
Jeff, I have to say that those are some of the best looking speakers I've seen. Very classy looking bases and I love that veneer. I think I want to use that for my next project. I will have to contact you for some pointers though. Great job!

This is about a center channel speaker using the same ER18 woofer and Fountek ribbon tweeter as in the floorstanding version with the MLTL cabinet that skyline_123 built. It will contain two woofers and one tweeter in the usual sideways MTM arrangement. In a standard port-vented cabinet, it will likely be about 9" high.
Swerd, I recently had a conversation with GranteedEV about why a sideways MTM is not the best idea. Maybe he can chime in and repeat what he told me. I could try and regurgitate what he told me but I'd end up messing things up.

Skyline -

Well then, maybe I can get some additional info from you, if you don't mind.

After living with these speakers for some time, do you have any further comments on the sound quality ? Anything that you don't like at all ? I'm particularly interested in how violins sound at louder volumes. I listen to a lot of orchestral music, have yet to hear ( in my admittedly limited experience) speakers that aren't screechy or harsh with violins more often than not. Some of it probably has to do with my early 90's equipment.

Also, in your speaker search, what other designs did you consider ?? I myself would be interested in the Mini-statements by Curt C. except for the requirement to be 17 or so inches from the wall.

Anyway, if you have any further thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

David
I can say that my ears have adjusted to the point where I'm not blown away by the detail, amazing sound stage, and clean bass as much as I used to be. I still love them though. The room really does make a huge difference. Even now, even with my large living area, I'm still impressed with the bass from these.

Not too long ago, we watched Inception with a couple of subs running. As I'm sure you know, there is tons of bass in that movie. I was very disappointed, however, because the subs were not matched and, together, their response was very ragged. I later watched the movie again with just the ER18's running full range and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The impact from these guys almost got me worried because it was almost rattling the room.

They don't necessarily have the same impact when it comes to music but occasionally, they still surprise me with movies.

There is something that I don't like about the Er18's but I can't tell if it's a result of the design, my construction methods, or the room. I think I'm hearing a bit of resonance in the enclosure. I haven't done any tests or anything so I haven't narrowed down what it is. Could just be in my head.

I don't listen to orchestral music, but I do have 3 sisters who play violin/viola. Maybe you could suggest some pieces that you listen to when you're evaluating a speaker?

As far as other speakers that I considered, I thought about The Statements, ZDT3.5, Millennium III's, TriTrix TL's and a couple more that I can't remember. I heard so many good things about Dennis Murphy and some of the speakers that he designed the crossovers for, like Song Towers, that I just sort of stopped looking after Alex and Swerd referred me to the Er18's. I'm glad I did :).

I will take a visit to Aperion, I wonder what you can get for $800, and how would it compare with the ER18 under question. I've read that the rule of thumb is for every dollar invested in a DIY speaker you spend five times that amount at retail to equal the quality. So, I would have to buy a 3000 speaker to roughly equal my $600 spent on the ER18. Actually, that would be an interesting hypothesis to test out if you have the Lincoln City event this year.

David
I'm not sure what other options you're looking at for $800 but if this means anything to you, I had set up speaker comparison get together up at our local B&W dealership and the owner completely stood me up the day of. I'm pretty sure he didn't want to hear that $600-700 pair of DIY speakers sound better than his 802' :D.

Hey guys,

The room is about 20 x 25. Not treated and too live. Bass is particuarly ragged lots of EQ on the IB sub). There is a HT bulkhead between the speakers (hindsight....). The ER-18s are about 1' in front of the font plane of the cabinet. My HT rig has an IB sub but this is not used for music.

Me- old (49 yo). Too many years playing music standing next to a ride cymbal (usually with cigarette buts in my ears). Prefers acoustic music (jazz, folk, etc), rock or classical. Played saxophone for many years in my youth. Well aquainted with what instruments and live music sounds like.

I feel like the strengths of the ER-18 are:
Neutrality- These are very accurate speakers in my estimation. Not bright. Not boomy.

Imaging- These things throw a great soundstage and instruments have are layered fron to back and extend wel past the speaker width. I love this about the speakers. To me, this is their best strength.

Vocals sound great. Natural and neutral and well integrated into the soundstage. Horns sound like they should. Brass has the appropriate bite. Mine are truly a little hot, but I know that is my room. I can hear lots of detail that was not evident before. There appear to be very revealing without being strident to my ears.

High WAF. They look nicer than others I was considering.

Other stuff-

Bass response- Not knocking down the doors, but adequate. The speakers play plenty low for acoustic music. To my estimation, at least 40 hz. They are not rattling the walls or moving copious amount of air. Bass is tuneful and tight. My room is pretty large (500 sq ft with 9 foot ceilings) but bass is certainly adequate for me. I'm sure a 3 way with a 10" or 12" woofer would fill things out better but that is not a fair fight. BTW, my port was 1/4" smaller than recommended and i cut is slightly shorter so my guys are not built strictly to spec. i like the bass but it is only a relative strength (for 7" MTMs) and not an absolute strength. Nice bass. no slam.

Overall, I really like these speakers. They best my Modulas (these are not optimally setup), they are better than the Zaph budget ($200) MTM. Should not be a surprise. I heard some $10,000 Thiels with NAD electronics (in a different room) that sounded crazy clean, although a bit sterile. I thought the Theils were significantly better (duh). Sorry for not having a more appropriate comparison.

I would build them again. My electronics and room feel like they are limiting the speakers at this point.
JG
Thanks for the review! I'm still blown away with how great those look. You did an awesome job.

I think your room is the problem here. I've played around with putting mine is the master bedroom and what a difference! I was blown away once when I went from my old speakers to the ER18's and I was almost equally blown away when I took them from my living area to the bedroom. Huge differences there.

I think before I ever upgrade these speakers in the future, I will have a dedicated room with carpet and wall treatments.

Jeff-

Interesting comparing your impressions with Skylines. Both of you mention the spaciousness of the soundstage, the width & depth of the presentation.
Skyline seems to be a little more impressed with the bass than you, but, that could be due to room factors as well. Anything unique or different to the tweeter sound attributed to the ribbon ? I've never actually heard a ribbon tweeter so just curious.

Anyway, thanks again. Enjoy the speaks.

David
In regards to the ribbon tweeter, these are the first that I've ever heard. I don't know if my impression of them is just a matter of owning my first set of nice speakers or the ribbons really are that much better but I just feel like they are more effortless. An exaggerated analogy would be like listening to an 8" sub struggling to play a movie like Iron Man II, and listening to a 15" sub play the same movie. Even though they may play the same stuff, one will sound much more effortless. That's how I see it anyway.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
There is something that I don't like about the Er18's but I can't tell if it's a result of the design, my construction methods, or the room. I think I'm hearing a bit of resonance in the enclosure.
I thought your enclosure looked pretty solid. Look for air leaks where the drivers are mounted and maybe at the binding posts. I'm not sure what that would sound like but it's the only thing I can think of that might be a fault.

Running test tones in Mantown I found that one test tone of a particular frequency rattled the back of my armoire which reminds me that I need to fix that. I'm thinking that what you are hearing might be something else that gets rattled in your room.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I thought your enclosure looked pretty solid. Look for air leaks where the drivers are mounted and maybe at the binding posts. I'm not sure what that would sound like but it's the only thing I can think of that might be a fault.

Running test tones in Mantown I found that one test tone of a particular frequency rattled the back of my armoire which reminds me that I need to fix that. I'm thinking that what you are hearing might be something else that gets rattled in your room.
Sympathetic vibrations will mess with you every time! The sympathetic nature make them seem random and hard to duplicate if not playing test tones or that one piece of music that sets it off! I have champagne glasses from my wedding and I could more them a 1/4" on the shelf and they would stop buzzing. Took me awhile to find that one...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Swerd, I recently had a conversation with GranteedEV about why a sideways MTM is not the best idea. Maybe he can chime in and repeat what he told me. I could try and regurgitate what he told me but I'd end up messing things up.
I'm familiar with those ideas about sideways MTMs. In theory it may not seem like the best idea, but in practice, it's not such a problem. Many people (including myself) have a sideways MTM center channel speaker and if there are problems with it, we are unaware of them.

Time for a quote :rolleyes::
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there usually is.

Gene wrote a good article about this subject. It examines just how far off-axis you would have to sit in order to experience problems with the sound from a sideways MTM. In most rooms it may have a small effect, but it is by no means a show stopper.

You could always build a MT two-way and use it as a center channel. The crossover for that (ER18 woofer + Fountek ribbon tweet in a 0.5 ft³ ported cabinet) should be available later this summer.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic

If I get some spare time, I will whip out the RS meter and see if there's anything obvious. I will do the same thing in the other room to see if there's any difference.

It's interesting because some of the things I am hearing seemed to be much more exaggerated before I added the stuffing. Maybe I'm just hearing things.

I'm familiar with those ideas about sideways MTMs. In theory it may not seem like the best idea, but in practice, it's not such a problem. Many people (including myself) have a sideways MTM center channel speaker and if there are problems with it, we are unaware of them.

Time for a quote :rolleyes::
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there usually is.

Gene wrote a good article about this subject. It examines just how far off-axis you would have to sit in order to experience problems with the sound from a sideways MTM. In most rooms it may have a small effect, but it is by no means a show stopper.

You could always build a MT two-way and use it as a center channel. The crossover for that (ER18 woofer + Fountek ribbon tweet in a 0.5 ft³ ported cabinet) should be available later this summer.
That makes sense. I see your point about theory vs practice. In theory, I really do need a center channel but in practice, I'm living just fine without one :D. Or at least it hasn't been a show stopper yet.

It would be nice to build a few of the MT's for surrounds and to build just one more for a center channel.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
some of the things I am hearing seemed to be much more exaggerated before I added the stuffing. Maybe I'm just hearing things.
Running test tones would really help you isolate room rattle issues. As a matter of fact I am definitely going to go after my armoire today. I use the Rives Test CD 2. It's a coarse tool that you don't want to put a ton of faith in because of comb filtering, room modes and meter variances and inaccuracies but a coarse tool is better than no tool. You may not trust your ears but they're all you got in the most important of all analysis ... es ... I don't know how to make that word plural. Here's a link to Sean Olives Listener Training Software. That is a cool tool for building skills and confidence.

When I was stuffing my Infinities for the second time with various foreign matter I ended up doing the right only and left the left one undone for like a month. In that month the left speaker would occasionally make some off sound that I took objection to but then it would be gone. I guess before I did stuffing round 2 both speakers made the objectionable noise and I got to sort of A/B them for a long while while only one of them made that noise. After I did the same stuffing procedure to the left speaker that sound was gone for good. Anyway I figure you have been paying attention to what you hear long enough now that your ears are worth paying attention to. Track down the source of this unpleasantness and smite it with the wrath of DIY Audio. Amen. :)

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Running test tones would really help you isolate room rattle issues. As a matter of fact I am definitely going to go after my armoire today. I use the Rives Test CD 2. It's a coarse tool that you don't want to put a ton of faith in because of comb filtering, room modes and meter variances and inaccuracies but a coarse tool is better than no tool. You may not trust your ears but they're all you got in the most important of all analysis ... es ... I don't know how to make that word plural. Here's a link to Sean Olives Listener Training Software. That is a cool tool for building skills and confidence.

When I was stuffing my Infinities for the second time with various foreign matter I ended up doing the right only and left the left one undone for like a month. In that month the left speaker would occasionally make some off sound that I took objection to but then it would be gone. I guess before I did stuffing round 2 both speakers made the objectionable noise and I got to sort of A/B them for a long while while only one of them made that noise. After I did the same stuffing procedure to the left speaker that sound was gone for good. Anyway I figure you have been paying attention to what you hear long enough now that your ears are worth paying attention to. Track down the source of this unpleasantness and smite it with the wrath of DIY Audio. Amen. :)
I did some playing around today with REW and I seem to have a nice little peak at 200hz. This was identified with the RS SPL meter and it actually showed up with the built in mic on the computer. Really, I just used the computer to generate the signals but it was nice to have some confirmation.

Although there is a peak at 200hz, I seem to only be able to hear this disturbance on one song, the same song that brought it to my attention to begin with. The song is called "Breaking the Silence" by Janis Ian. At about the the 36 second mark, she sings "and left to lie alone". The word "alone" is giving me the trouble. Maybe someone can tell me if that's just the way it's recorded.

My plan is to throw these speakers in the bedroom tonight and repeat these tests.

There are a couple of things I need to do to eliminate any uncertainty before I really get into it. I have been meaning to replace the driver mounting screws with better hardware. I just need to take the drivers out, install some hurricane nuts, and use some thin gasket material to seal up the drivers. Another thing I've been meaning to do is build some sort of base for these that will help isolate vibrations making their way to the floor. I have some foam that I can integrate in there that I think will help. Currently, this foam sits between my amp and sub. Now, I guess my receiver and amp need a new home. I've been meaning to build an equipment rack/TV stand for a while now, maybe this will help.

One of the things I remember most about first listening to them without the stuffing was the bass. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was disturbing about the bass but I think the best way to describe would be that the bass resembled the sound of when you blow across the top of a large, empty glass bottle. They had that unnatural bass sound. With the stuffing, it eliminated that strangeness and seemed to attenuate some cabinet resonance that I think I was hearing.

I'll let you know how the smiting goes.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There are a couple of things I need to do to eliminate any uncertainty before I really get into it. I have been meaning to replace the driver mounting screws with better hardware. I just need to take the drivers out, install some hurricane nuts, and use some thin gasket material to seal up the drivers.
Did you use any gasket material on the woofers? If not, you need some. Stick on foam weatherstripping works. PE also sells some that is made with closed cell foam. I think the tweeters came with gasket material built-in.

One of the things I remember most about first listening to them without the stuffing was the bass. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was disturbing about the bass but I think the best way to describe would be that the bass resembled the sound of when you blow across the top of a large, empty glass bottle. They had that unnatural bass sound. With the stuffing, it eliminated that strangeness and seemed to attenuate some cabinet resonance that I think I was hearing.
I think what you heard without the stuffing is the ripple in the TL response.

When Martin King came up with his MathCad worksheet tools to use for designing these cabinets, he built a test speaker (see figure 2 on page 6 of this document). He used that, empty or with various amounts of stuffing, to make measurements that he then used to make a math model that could predict things. The graphs that he shows beyond page 6 illustrate the ripple and how the right amount of stuffing smooths that out.

As an engineer, you might appreciate all the work this guy did to come up with this design tool. Also this page.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis