PS3 still one of the best blu ray players at this point?

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
Hi folks. I've been looking around at "top ten" lists for blu ray players this evening and I haven't really seen the PS3 anywhere. Are the newer models in the $150 range better for PQ/AQ than the PS3 slim at this point? Two models for instance I was looking at are the Panasonic DMP-BD85 and Samsung BD-C5500. Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
AQ is a moot point if you're using HDMI or even Toslink to the receiver. The DAC's of the receiver not the player come into play.

VQ is another matter. The PS3 won't best the Oppo or the top of the line players in upconversion or playability. However, I bet it will best anything below $250.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
AQ is a moot point if you're using HDMI or even Toslink to the receiver. The DAC's of the receiver not the player come into play.

VQ is another matter. The PS3 won't best the Oppo or the top of the line players in upconversion or playability. However, I bet it will best anything below $250.
Really?? The video is the best out there? I would think by now there has to be something that is better than that. I really hate the fan noise. I know everything thinks it is super quiet, but it's really not. Also I don't use it for anything but blu rays. What about the Panasonic DMP-BD85? Iv'e been reading about the PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus and it sounds like it is a pretty great feature.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In terms of BD video quality, most $100-200 players are going to give you almost exactly the same thing as the PS3 these days. For upscaling, there are better players out there, but most will do a *good enough* job at it as well. I have a BD65 and it upscales comparably to the PS3. It is a little softer, but it still looks excellent with SD DVD. The Oppo is noticeably better at upscaling, but it also costs more.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
In terms of BD video quality, most $100-200 players are going to give you almost exactly the same thing as the PS3 these days. For upconversion, there are better players out there, but most will do a *good enough* job at it as well. I have a BD65 and it upscales comparably to the PS3. It is a little softer, but it still looks excellent with SD DVD.
intersting. I think I will be going with the BD85 and getting rid of my PS3. I really hate the fan noise on that thing. I don't really watch that many DVDs so not much of a concern. Thanks for your input.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
intersting. I think I will be going with the BD85 and getting rid of my PS3. I really hate the fan noise on that thing. I don't really watch that many DVDs so not much of a concern. Thanks for your input.
The PS3 slim is supposed to be quiet. The LG players are quiet, as well.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
The PS3 slim is supposed to be quiet. The LG players are quiet, as well.
Yeah they are supposed to be quiet. I mean they are quiet and most people it doesn't seem to bother from the feedback I get when I post about it but I don't like that damn fan whizzing in the background when there is a dead silent scene in a movie. Just gets to me. I'm sure it's just me being anal but that's the way it is. I actually brought the first one back because I thought they were supposed to be quiet but apparently based on the fact that they both have the fan noise that is just the normal PS3 slim working volume level. It just annoys me. Just picked up a Panny DMP-BD85. Stoked!

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Yeah they are supposed to be quiet. I mean they are quiet and most people it doesn't seem to bother from the feedback I get when I post about it but I don't like that damn fan whizzing in the background when there is a dead silent scene in a movie. Just gets to me. I'm sure it's just me being anal but that's the way it is. I actually brought the first one back because I thought they were supposed to be quiet but apparently based on the fact that they both have the fan noise that is just the normal PS3 slim working volume level. It just annoys me. Just picked up a Panny DMP-BD85. Stoked!
I agree with you 100%. I can't stand fan noise either--especially when I pause a disc to answer the phone or open a door. Congrats on the Panny.

I can't tell if you're mocking me or not :) Either way. Right on!
Nope. I was serious.

Last edited:
F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
I agree with you 100%. I can't stand fan noise either--especially when I pause a disc to answer the phone or open a door. Congrats on the Panny.
I can't tell if you're mocking me or not :) Either way. Right on!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You're like the 5th person to either pick up or are about to pick up the BD85 over the BD65. Since you were considering the PS3, I must assume you have no need for the mch analog outs. You could save probably $50-60 by just getting the BD65. You obviously haven't run any search functions or have done much reading, because I've pointed this out so many times it's nuts. Return it, get the BD65, and go buy some BDs with the savings.

F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
You're like the 5th person to either pick up or are about to pick up the BD85 over the BD65. Since you were considering the PS3, I must assume you have no need for the mch analog outs. You could save probably $50-60 by just getting the BD65. You obviously haven't run any search functions or have done much reading, because I've pointed this out so many times it's nuts. Return it, get the BD65, and go buy some BDs with the savings.
You know I could understand you maybe saying that. Honestly I kept putting in bdp instead of dmp because I was looking at Sony's as well so that totally screwed up my results. Having said that, I did find this information (http://www.amazon.com/BD65-vs-BD85/forum/Fx11YR6PQ0O2LGR/Tx3Q50K5Q1PHRKU/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0038KR8WM) which is helpful and other things I have read have hinted at. The insides of the 65 and the 85 are different, the 85 having better hardware which is why I went with that. I really don't care about wifi but that is enough for the extra bit of cash.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
F

FuzzyReets

Audioholic
I guess I would care if I could watch DVDs still. Haven't since '07. If I did care, I'd get an Oppo.

WiFi? I just burn a cd once, at most twice, a year. For streaming, I'd want a hard wire anyways, but that's also moot because I demand the best PQ possible, always: BD or OTA.
Okay well the information I have given you indicates that the BD85 has better video for Blu rays which is what I was getting at.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Okay well the information I have given you indicates that the BD85 has better video for Blu rays which is what I was getting at.
Chris Boylan is no doubt an expert on BD players, and specifically with Panasonic. He posts often at AVS.

Though now that I read your link, I find it funny that he thinks Baraka as a stunning transfer, or specifically an "excellent reference for detail and color precision". This transfer is known for its excessive DNR and EE.

I've asked specifically about color reproduction with BDPs. The answers I have received were that they are 99.9999999% identical with BDP playback.

There are a lot of things that are more important than chroma resolution. Just ask Stacey Spears.

Do you even know if your player or display will deinterlace better?

Do you even know what chroma rez your TV handles? And per input?

But, I know too little. As do you. It's complicated. A lot of devices or inputs on display will convert multiple times. It usually has to do with upconversion whenever you see discussions. Whether to deinterlace first or not, etc. I don't think the Pana players can output 480i. So, you are expecting (hoping) that the player will deinterlace better than your display, as far as DVDs.

Anyways, I would bet you good money I wouldn't be able to tell between the two players, and I'm saying that using a JVC PJ in a light controlled room with an enormous screen. A much better investment for my own situation would be towards reducing color saturation.

Even Boylan said 1080p improvement with the chroma is subtle, and I expect he is saying that only with unrealistic test patterns, not real world material. Like I said already, when you talk about this stuff, it's usually with upconversion, and the below quote from your link is no exception (and again I'd probably just get the Oppo if this really mattered to me):
Rather than follow the standard process of upconverting the chroma (color) signal from the compressed 4:2:0 stored on the disc to 4:2:2, then de-interlacing the 480i DVD signal to 480p and doing additional color processing, Panasonic has chosen to apply the deinterlace processing first, which gives the video processor more color information to work with when doing the chroma upsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 all the way to 4:4:4. What this means to the layman is that the DMP-BD85 is able to provide full color detail for each and every pixel in the 1920x1080 pixel progressive output, restoring details that are lost in the video encoding process. This leads to cleaner edges and superior visible detail in the video signal. According to Panasonic, the improvements in chroma processing apply not just to 480i and 1080i material, but to 1080p material as well (though the improvements to 1080p discs are much more subtle).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The reality is, as I mentioned before, BD quality isn't going to vary a whole lot between pretty much ANY decent player. I bought my dad a cheap Insignia BD player when they were the first $99 player and the BD PQ is very good; to the point where it would probably be hard to distinguish it from another player. People don't really compare video quality in terms of BDs with current players because the differences aren't big like they were for SD DVD players. The main thing that differentiates BD players is their upscaling of SD material. Like Jostenmeat, I have watched very few SD DVDs since going Blu, and those are usually specialty titles that are not available on Blu.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis