Identify Good $500 Speaker by Graph

R

riker1384

Junior Audioholic
Too easy

It's the Primus P362: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=18091690&postcount=3 Loose lips sink ships!

I thought they had a $600 MSRP. Maybe they lowered it from the 360 price? I heard a rumor that someone supposedly had "inside info" that they lowered the quality control on the tweeter from the xx0 series to the Pxx2 to cut costs. (Not that that would save $100, of course!)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Riker! :)

The only graph I had ever seen before is from Stereophile:

I don't know whether I should be happy that I have a pair or pissed that Mr. Olive wouldn't just tell us.
I can't wait until he has a drywall question ... :rolleyes: :D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The Primus 362 in stock form is extremely resonant. It does not even use sufficient internal damping materials. The material used in the midbass section is not even relevant to the frequency bandwidth covered by the midbass drivers. They may as well not even spent the $0.25 for the material. :)

But it has potential. I have performed extensive modifications on them, including improving considerably, the already good power response(stock treble power response was nothing special), and vastly improving LF capability and removing all resonance issues of all potential sources. Well, I also threw away the stock passive xover and made it 4 way active too. :) It can be a top class monopolar speaker with sufficient modifications.

-Chris

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris can you replay to my massage

Thanks!
Well, sure.... but you could have at least given me a day(you sent the message less than an hour ago!) to check my messages before requesting a reply in a thread. :)

-Chris

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
I had to get a neighbour to come on over and take my picture ... just for u Sean :)

I'm sold. Where do I purchase that? For some reason, the so-called bass bump in the Primus looks miniscule in this picture :)

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
Thanks Riker! :)

The only graph I had ever seen before is from Stereophile:

I don't know whether I should be happy that I have a pair or pissed that Mr. Olive wouldn't just tell us.
I can't wait until he has a drywall question ... :rolleyes: :D
You have to be careful sometimes about the loudspeaker measurements posted at Stereophile, particularly at LF since they splice the low frequency measurements made in the near-field (port + woofer) to the far-field measurements, and then try to match the levels.

In my experience, the low frequency measurements do not always match what we measure in our calibrated anechoic chamber. Here is an old measurement of the Primus measured in our chamber: note that this MLSSA measurement was taken with 10 Hz resolution (not the normal 2 Hz resolution), which limits its accuracy below 100 Hz. Our new measurement system uses a log sweep with 48 equal log-spaced points per octave from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and has much better S/N than MLSSA.

Attachments

Last edited:
tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
You really have to pay attention to the graph scales and frequency ranges used in each graph. Here is the $500 mystery graph(with enhanced FR line) and the mic-corrected response on axis of the B2030P, scaled/sized to match the mystery speaker graph, and now you can see there is far less visibly percieved difference in the response now.

-Chris
I don't have B2030P's but I've been hearing enough about them lately that I may purchase and test a pair.

Perhaps I will post the results here so we can compare apples with apples.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Infinity's specification of -3db @ 38Hz seems rather optimistic. That looks like the LF behavior of a 6" ported bookshelf. I was quite surprised to find it was a dual 6" floorstander.

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
You really have to pay attention to the graph scales and frequency ranges used in each graph. Here is the $500 mystery graph(with enhanced FR line) and the mic-corrected response on axis of the B2030P, scaled/sized to match the mystery speaker graph, and now you can see there is far less visibly percieved difference in the response now.

-Chris
Infinity's specification of -3db @ 38Hz seems rather optimistic. That looks like the LF behavior of a 6" ported bookshelf. I was quite surprised to find it was a dual 6" floorstander.
Well, talk to the marketing department, but that spec is not too far off, depending on the frequency range and curve to which you reference it, and keeping in mind, that the measurement I posted is not quite accurate below 100 Hz.

My beef is that standard specifications like 20 Hz- 20kHz +- 3dB are pretty well useless indicators of the loudspeaker's sound quality. The measurements I posted above tell you a lot more about how it will sound than any specification shown in a product brochure.

Last edited:
tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
The Primus 362 in stock form is extremely resonant. It does not even use sufficient internal damping materials. The material used in the midbass section is not even relevant to the frequency bandwidth covered by the midbass drivers. They may as well not even spent the $0.25 for the material. :)

But it has potential. I have performed extensive modifications on them, including improving considerably, the already good power response(stock treble power response was nothing special), and vastly improving LF capability and removing all resonance issues of all potential sources. Well, I also threw away the stock passive xover and made it 4 way active too. :) It can be a top class monopolar speaker with sufficient modifications.

-Chris
Chris,

We already make speakers like what you describe: they are called JBL LSR series.. No need to perform DIY modifications.

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Well, talk to the marketing department
I thought I was..:D (hehe, just kidding)

but that spec is not too far off, depending on the frequency range and curve to which you reference it, and keeping in mind, that the measurement I posted is not quite accurate below 100 Hz.
I understand that, having done many LF measurements myself, indoors and out. I simply didn't see -3db @ 38Hz type extension, as specified. Again, my guess would have been a smaller loudspeaker.

My beef is that standard specifications like 20 Hz- 20kHz +- 3dB are pretty well useless indicators of the loudspeaker's sound quality.
I agree (even though I made no mention of SQ). Perhaps it should be more like +/- 3db from 200hz-20khz and then -3db @ 40hz anechoic/free space, but even then, that won't tell you the whole story, just part of it.

The measurements I posted above tell you a lot more about how it will sound than any specification shown in a product brochure.
True. Perhaps you ought to inform Infinity ;).
But they are still insufficient. Unfortunately, the whole story, including polars, compression effects, etc, etc, would be far too confusing for the average consumer.

cheers,

AJ

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris,

We already make speakers like what you describe: they are called JBL LSR series.. No need to perform DIY modifications.
Well, I don't know anything about those speakers. So, they have an extreme dynamic range, 30Hz-20,000Hz, absolute inert cabinet systems(panels, internal acoustic cavities, etc.), and nearly equal sound power in the entire relevant front radiation hemisphere (+/- 75d) and through the entire audible bandwidth, without the usual substantial sound power fall off over 7-9kHz?

If it does meet all of the above, then supposedly, we have here pretty much the best possible monopolar at ANY price range/class? Seems like a tall order, but again, I know nothing of this speaker, have not measured/analyzed it, nor even heard it in a store under non-controlled conditions.

-Chris

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
True. Perhaps you ought to inform Infinity ;).
But they are still insufficient. Unfortunately, the whole story, including polars, compression effects, etc, etc, would be far too confusing for the average consumer.

cheers,

AJ
Both CEA and CEDIA have joint working groups that recognize current loudspeaker specifications are useless, and are advocating comprehensive anechoic loudspeakers measurements like the ones I've shown. They would accurately characterize the loudspeaker's sound quality for everything except nonlinear distortion, for which there lacks a perceptually meaningful measurement (THD being an example).

I disagree with you, and frankly think that these series of measurements could be explained to consumers in a way that quickly and effectively communicates the relative sound quality of two speakers better than any current specification.

For example, the first and second curves (on-axis + listening window) on the graph should be flat , smooth and extended in frequency. The other curves (early reflections, sound power, DI) should be smooth. The more the curves deviate from those ideals, the worse it sounds: simple as that. If that was too complex to understand, then you transform the curves into some perceptually meaningful metrics that you put on a bar graph, which everyone understands.

If these organizations and their loudspeaker standards gain traction, it could force manufacturers to pull up their socks because they would no longer be able to hide behind the current useless specifications.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Both CEA and CEDIA have joint working groups that recognize current loudspeaker specifications are useless, and are advocating comprehensive anechoic loudspeakers measurements like the ones I've shown. They would accurately characterize the loudspeaker's sound quality for everything except nonlinear distortion, for which there lacks a perceptually meaningful measurement (THD being an example).

I disagree with you, and frankly think that these series of measurements could be explained to consumers in a way that quickly and effectively communicates the relative sound quality of two speakers better than any current specification.

For example, the first and second curves (on-axis + listening window) on the graph should be flat , smooth and extended in frequency. The other curves (early reflections, sound power, DI) should be smooth. The more the curves deviate from those ideals, the worse it sounds: simple as that. If that was too complex to understand, then you transform the curves into some perceptually meaningful metrics that you put on a bar graph, which everyone understands.

If these organizations and their loudspeaker standards gain traction, it could force manufacturers to pull up their socks because they would no longer be able to hide behind the current useless specifications.
Sounds like a need in the industry. These days it seems most speakers are junk. It's messed up when you have speakers like the Infinity Betas being sold for Sony prices. Let's not go around tempting folks with the JBL pro audio links.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Now that is just crazy talk (but I'm liking it)!
:cool::):cool:

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Both CEA and CEDIA have joint working groups that recognize current loudspeaker specifications are useless, and are advocating comprehensive anechoic loudspeakers measurements like the ones I've shown.
Any chance of a change like that happening in our lifetime? :)
They would accurately characterize the loudspeaker's sound quality for everything except nonlinear distortion, for which there lacks a perceptually meaningful measurement (THD being an example).
What about the GedLee metric?

T

theshade

Audioholic Intern
As the topic now went to what measurements matter and the jbl lsr I would like to post my question to Dr. Geddes in DIY audio and his answers.

I cant post links yet so I will just put the posts here.

I really hope that Sean Olive answers.

I posted:

I have been reading on Dr. Geddes designs for weeks now and in those weeks, i have learned a lot. Thank you for imparting the information. During the years of being addicted to audio, i have gone from being a subjectivist to my current state of being an objectivist. The ideas about multiple subs and the waveguide taught me a lot. i also really enjoyed the thread on setting up the nathan wherein measurements were shown.

I have been on a quest for getting the most sound on a budget and I have learned that the weakness is on the loudspeakers. Source components have reached a point wherein you can only measure the differences but not hear them. Amplifiers when driven within their limits also do not show audible differences. Exotic cables are a waste of money and zipcord is certainly enough. Double blind tests are a must when determining sound quality. These are the beliefs that I now espose.

What I still find confusing is the differences in loudspeakers. Due to the influence of Dr. Tooles papers on me, my choices in speakers became much easier. Speakers measured and designed with the help of the NRC very much appealed to me. (PSB, Paradigm) The pinnacle of which to me is probably in the Harman brands. (Infinity, JBL, Revel) However, I also learned about Linkwitz Orions which I think is also based on objectivity along with the Bang and Olufsen beolabs which espouses better off axis measurements than others. In my quest for the best measured speaker, I also learned that YG acoustics has great measurements. Then I learned about DEQX speakers like legend loudspeakers and NHT xd. A lot of differently designed speakers with "great" measurements with different emphasis on directivity. Im confused really. Can someone enlighten me?

Since I live in a third world country, the problem with most of them is the price and the limited output except for JBL pro. I am glad I chanced upon the threads here in DIY audio and learned about the waveguide speakers which is more in my price range. I recently also read Tooles paper "Loudspeakers and Rooms for Sound Reproduction—A Scientific Review" if I understand correctly says that reflections have no negative effects and have even positive effects on audibility. Dr Geddes ideas on room design also supports this as he recommends low frequency absorption without high frequency. Hope I got this right. Welti's multiple sub paper is also first espoused and practiced by Dr. Geddes.

I also have a question about waveguides. Do these JBL's espouse the same theories?(link cant be posted but is the lsr)

Once again thank you Dr. Geddes. I have really enjoyed your threads. In fact I am addicted cause I spend almost all my free time reading your informative posts. Hope I can save enough for my own nathan's or abbey's!!!

Dr Geddes answers:

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't really think that all those speakers that you mentioned really do have comparable measured performance. Within what they show they might, but its what they don;t show that is the key. One needs good high resolution off axis data that always seems to be sadly lacking.

I agree with 95% of what Floyd Toole writes, but I do disagree about the VERY early reflections, those under 10 ms. Floyd extrapolates the limited results for reflections to say that all reflections are OK, but I have some (admittedly limited) data that says that very early reflections are not good. After 10 ms. though we are in complete agreement. I think if Floyd did have some data on the first few reflections he might find a slightly different answer.

The JBL EOS is a form of waveguide very much like what I do, but it is a dome and domes don't feed the correct wavefront to a waveguide and this will cause undesirable effects. Compression drivers feed a much better wavefront than a dome, although it too is usually not perfect. But lets not forget about the foam plug. This has a major effect and only my designs use it.

I really think that the Summa line is just what you need as you correctly realize that the loudspeakers is pretty much everything. If its not right, nothing is right. I think that my speakers "get it right".

T

theshade

Audioholic Intern
I posted and also linked measurements from jbl pro:

Dr. Geddes, thanks for the reply. yup, the summa line is on the top of my wishlist right now. I have to ask though cause I come from the Philippines, how much would they cost shipped the nathan's for example. And whether I can save on the kit or fully built. We have very good woodworkers here. I am just worried about the crossover if i'll get them right. Additionally, what does built and tested mean? Do you measure all fully built speakers before you send them?

I also have other questions, hope that its not too much.

Quote:
I don't really think that all those speakers that you mentioned really do have comparable measured performance. Within what they show they might, but its what they don;t show that is the key. One needs good high resolution off axis data that always seems to be sadly lacking.
I do not know if these measurements suffice. They have on axis, listening window, 1st relection, directivity index sound power, directivity index 1st reflection, impulse response, etc. Are the measurements lacking to be able to know whether they sound good or not? Or are the shown measurements themselves bad?

Quoting from jbl "We all know that many loudspeakers have similar measurements but sound different. By going beyond simple on-axis frequency response measurements, JBL defines the ultimate performance specification for new systems – what it will sound like in your room. At the mix position, you hear a combination of direct sound and sound reflected from the rooms surfaces. For sound arriving at the mix position to be smooth and neutral, it is not enough for a speaker to measure “flat” on-axis - it is essential the speaker have excellent off-axisperformance. While other manufacturers use a single on-axis frequency response measurement taken at one point in space, JBL measures monitor systems over a sphere that encompasses all power radiated into the listening room – in every direction. This data reflects 1296 times the information of a single on-axis response curve. Seventy-two measurements of the direct sound field, the reflected sound field, and the reverberant field, the entire sound field heard by the listener, is correlated to optimize response at the listening position. In place of spectral smoothing used by some manufacturers, which actually conceals data, the JBL approach actually exposes flaws in systems, such as resonances, poor dispersion and other causes of off-axis coloration. The data shown below is a set of spatially measured graphs that are the heart of JBL’s philosophy."

I think of all the other speakers i have mentioned the harman brands have the most capability of making good speakers due to their resources. My worry is that even if they have the talent and the resources, the research isn't applied to the fullest in their end product especially the ones I can afford. Nowhere have I seen the amount of technical data than from the harman brands excepting of course your summa's and linkwitz orions. And what I most like about the summa line is that people interested get to have answers directly from you. This gives people peace of mind that what they are buying fully espouse the research. Finally, your designs compared to most state of the art loudspeakers cost much much less and is certainly attainable compared to Revel Ultima's or JBL Synthesis for example.

I do have a question regarding interpreting polar maps. I do not understand how to interpret them. I have been looking at the polar maps of the summa, abbey, and nathan and I just assume that the summa is better. Is it simple to interpret? Sorry, i lack technical expertise. Dr. Geddes do you have a picture of a perfect "ideal" polar response that could be compared?

Finally, regarding room design, will you be posting the additional chapters in your home theater book at your website? I only know that low frequencies need to be treated while mid to highs need minimal but I dont know how to realize them.(construction)

Once again, thank you Dr. Geddes and i hope that I havent taken too much of your time.

Dr. Geddes answers:

Theshade

I would agree that Harman is the best of the companies out there in terms of R&D and product line. They supply the best data, but it is still lacking IMO. Theye are trying to get a valid but "simple" set of measurements. I think that they oversimplify. What they do is better than most, but I'd still p[refer to see the "real" data.

I assume that you understand polar response graphs shown on axis and at angle off axis. The data in a polar map is identical, just shown in a different way. What becomes obviuos in a polar map is the field of flat response. For example my polar maps are arranged so that they show color changes every 4 dB with the first color being +-2dB from the nominal level (0 dB). So from this you can immediatly see what frequencies and what polar angles have +- 2 dB capability. In my designs this is usually (excluding the LF limit for now) up to 30 degrees and 10 kHz. There is sometimes a small "hole" on axis which means that theya re flat from +-7.5 degrees from 70-10 kHz.

The second thing that become obviuos is the coverage angle becuaes the secodn line is the -6 dB line which is the coverage. This should be fairly constant.

Also obviuos are resonances as they show as bumps in all levels at a fixed frequency. Diffraction will show as a bump (a peak and or a dip) which changes frequency with angle in a constant arc. These take some experience to see.

Shipping the speakers to the Phillipines would cost about 33% of the total cost (based on experince, but this goes up all the time). The croosver is easy to make and would be hard to screw up, but there is always the issue of a bad componenet that is unknown when assembling it. This is easy to test for me, but difficult for the end user. Yes, I do test each speaker that I assemble. Good paint is the hardest thing to do in building the kits.

As to more chapters for my book - well that takes time that I don't seem to have these days.

T

theshade

Audioholic Intern
I sincerely hope the Dr. Geddes would not find any offense in me posting this. I just want to learn more. And almost all I learned i learned from harman papers, Dr. Geddes posts, the audio critic and Linkwitz amongst others. Especially this audioholics forum which minimizes the bullshit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis