GUTZ! Post your favorite amplifier and receiver inards

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Halcro dm38 stereo amplifier. Less than 0.0007% distortion at full power. I'd love to take mine apart and look, but it would void my warranty, so I'll stick to the pics I found on Google.
-Brad

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Current Dumping amps part 1: - The Quad 405-2

In December of 1975 Peter Walker published his famous article in Wireless World on the development of his novel feed forward Current amplifier design. The Quad 405.

Its hard to believe that this was published 35 years ago!

Please read through his article. Peter had a knack of explaining the complex in simple terms.

The huge advantage was an amplifier, that had class A characteristics, but was efficient, had a low part count, needed no critical adjustments, and was highly tolerant of components changing values from original over time.

The Quad 405-2 was later introduced when four ohm loads became more prevalent.

I have taken some pictures of one of my 405-2 amps. I think I have about a dozen 405s and 405-2 amps.

The case is compact clean and functional. Power is 100 watts into four ohms.

Here is the schematic. Note the very low component count.

View of the amp with the top removed. Most of the space in the amp case is taken up by the power supply. The amp boards at each end are quite small with a low part count and no adjustments.

View of power supply caps and the right channel amp board.

In the next post we will move on to the masterpiece the Quad 909.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The Quad 909.

I recently had the good fortune to get a couple of good buys on another two Quad 909 amps. So my left and right main speakers are now powered by three Quad 909 current dumping amplifiers, providing a total of 1500 watts. The center channel speaker is also powered by a Quad 909 with a power of 500 watts.

Here is the revised amp rack.

On the left are the three Quad 909s driving the left and right main speakers. On the right is the Quad 909 driving the center channel speaker, the two Quad 405-2 driving the back speakers and the 405-2 driving the surrounds.

Before I installed the 909s I granted Seth's request to see "GUTZ"

Here is the schematic.

IC 1 is the very high performance but low powered class A amp, that provides error correction to the dumpers, T9, T10, T11, T12, T13 and T14. These push pull triples are biased class AB but towards, B so the amp is very efficient. The performance is entirely determined by the performance of the IC1 class A Amp. So the characteristics of the amp are class A. So it is class a performance without the hassle, inefficiency, heat generation and unreliability of a class A amplifier. It sounds too good to be true, but it its the truth.

Here is a view with the bottom cover removed.

The toroidal power transformer is center, with the four power supply smoothing caps around it. At the back with the fuses is the power supply control and regulation board. The amp boards, again with very low part count are either side.

Here is a view of a power amp board, with the triple push/pull output dumpers in the heat sink either side.

Here is a view of the power supply regulator control board.

The justly popular Quad 909 is the only one of Perter Walker's Current Dumping amps in production. IAG (International Audio Group) own Quad now, and they basically are sitting on the patents.

In truth these amps could be produced in large quantities quite cheaply. The part count is low and there is no set up to do, just test it. Amps of this type could easily be produced to produce huge power outputs.

Even more tantalizing is the prospect that IAG could and should license this design. They would make lots of money. These amp boards would have the potential to revolutionize the performance of receivers. The amp boards are small reliable and not at all fussy. Heat generation is very moderate.

The boards are also ideal for active speakers. Peter himself used them in such applications, for the BBC in particular.

It is a real tragedy the wider audio and now the AV community can not benefit from Peter Walker's sheer genius.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It isn't any juggernaut, but it is easy to see why the Adcoms of this period were so popular. Shielded transformer, and clean simple layout! I couldn't find info on transformer or Cap ratings. Comparing size to others, 11,000uF ea or 44,000uF total might be a decent guess.
This is the GFA-545 Mk II (100WPC):

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sansui AU-717 bought new in 1980 (relative to my income, probably the most expensive thing I've ever bought that wasn't on a payment plan). Don't have the ratings on the transformers, but 88,000uF for the caps - Pretty stout for 85WRMS X 2:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis