Onkyo SR 602 production issue?? Please read if you own one

O

om44

Audiophyte
Having serious problems with SR 602's have gone through 3 in the last week -and have taken back to Circuit City and hooked up in their sound room to demonstrate issues that are not isolated to my home setup.

Here's what's happening and I wanted to know if there's been any production issues that anyone is aware of...this seems very, very ODD:

-Receiver will play DVDs perfect
-Receiver will play CDs from a DVD player perfectly on Multichannel setting
-Receiver will NOT play CDs correctly when receiver is set to any other setting than Multichannel - huge static and interference comes from all speakers
-Receiver will NOT play local TV feed from HD receiver and non HD receiver correctly when receiver is set to ANY setting - huge static and interference comes from all speakers

This problem has happened 3 times on 3 seperate receivers and like I mentioned was recreated with entirely different DVD/CD player and setup in store.

To test entirely, I had Circuit take floor model SR 602 and plug in after my faulty unit and it was FINE.

All receivers that I have tested without success have come from a 10/11 shipment to Circuit City according to label on box.

Are you aware of any issues - this is VERY frustrating and I am seriously considering swithing to Harmon Kardon unit. I'd appreciate a

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Whew! This was my second choice next to the Yamaha I just bought.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Sounds like a bad batch, but I have the SR600, and it has performed flawlessly since day one over three years ago. Sorry to hear about your woes. I've come to the conclusion that this can happen to any one. I've heard similar stories regarding equipment from all of the major manufacturers. Just be glad you didn't spend 4000 bucks! Such problems can occur with the expensive stuff too. Onkyo is a very good manufacturer in my opinion.

O

om44

Audiophyte
Yeah..I think bad batch as well...replaced the Onkyo with the H&K 230 yesterday and finally what I was waiting for...it was simply AWESOME.

Not that the Onkyo wasn't amazing in-store when it worked...just ne'er got to have the magic in the house.

good luck to all, oh and still no reply from Onkyo.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I had the same issue with the same receiver. In fact Crutchfield sent me another one and it did the same thing....CD's would not play when hooked up through optical input. What a disappointment. Now I am back to square one. This receiver was the perfect blend of power and performance for my budget. Thinking of an H/K now, but not real sure about the power output of the H/K. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MODEL RECEIVER...I REPEAT, DO NOT PURCHASE THE ONKYO SR602.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Hmmm. Anyone else having any SR602 issues like these guys?

X

xyntax

Enthusiast
@truckguygmc23

i think you just made a big mistake.optical connection is not intended for playing CD.It was available only when your source is encoded on DTS or DOLBY format. :cool:

Z

zacgo

Audiophyte
No problem here

I bought a 602 from CC a week ago and have had no problems. The CDs are playing flawlessly via optical for main zone, and also great using RCAs for zone 2 (Zone 2 only plays analog inputs- you have to dual cable the components for zone2).

I couldn't be happier with mine. Strange a couple of you are having the same problem.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
You know, it sounds like those receivers weren't properly set-up. Just a thought.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Any chance the assignable digital inputs were not properly assigned?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
xyntax said:
@truckguygmc23

i think you just made a big mistake.optical connection is not intended for playing CD.It was available only when your source is encoded on DTS or DOLBY format. :cool:
he should not have any problem running a CD in a DVD player on an optical connection. that is definitely a receiver problem.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I don't see why the optical would not work playing cd's since my Pioneer I replaced was flawless playing cd's with the optical connection. The receiver was setup properly and I called Onkyo and Crutchfield and spent about 2 hours on the phone with them. They both concluded that there was a problem with the receiver and that I had everything set up properly. I just ordered a new Denon AVR-2105 so hopefully I will have better luck with this unit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis