Eagle Roost - part 1

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Welcome to the Eagle Roost (not a theme, just a reference to a military career). Our HT project which is in it's third upgrade iteration and was started in ~Nov 06 with a HTIB.
- The room is 18' wide x 14' deep with 8.5' ceilings (~2,150 ft3)
- The home was purchased with a dedicated HT room from the previous owner, who pre-wired it, but never used it.
- Room has no windows :) , but is standard builder grade construction :( .
- Three doors lead to bedroom, bath, and a huge two story attic (future expansion?? ;) )

1st pic - room overview from entrance/exit
2nd pic - system front view
3rd pic - PSB C40, Yamaha RX-V659, Oppo 980H and Panamax
4th pic - SVS PB-10NSD and PSB T45
5th pic - Def Tec PM1000 detail (used as a Yamaha presence speaker)

Will post second set of five pics in next post (hoping site lets me!).

Attachments

Last edited:
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Eagle Roost - part 2

Next five pics:

6th pic - Seating and PSB B15 surrounds
7th pic - B15 speaker detail
8th pic - B15 mounting detail
9th pic - entrance/exit with curtains closed
10th pic - entrance/exit with curtains open

The entrance was a bit of a challange since it is odd shaped and does not/can not easily accomodate a door--the solution we choose is a curved curtain on a flex-track from CA (neat product).

Future upgrades: separate 5-ch amp (using RX659 as pre amp), larger display (her idea, not mine - score!), darker paint, acoustic treatment(s) (once I get a grip on the theory/application)

Attachments

Last edited:
Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
That's a nice looking set up. Very tastefull and nice decor. I was just looking on e-bay at a Casablanca poster myself.
How do you find the ceiling mounted speakers? I have a small room and was thinking about doing this but at present just have them on stands slightly to the side and behind couch.

PS Thanks for all you have done!!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Near Ceiling mounted speakers

That's a nice looking set up. Very tastefull and nice decor. I was just looking on e-bay at a Casablanca poster myself.
How do you find the ceiling mounted speakers? I have a small room and was thinking about doing this but at present just have them on stands slightly to the side and behind couch.

PS Thanks for all you have done!!
Lightning Steve,
I like them a lot, and IMO they sound very good. To be honest, I choose the location more for asthetics, at a time when my sound knowledge was not as developed--but, still no regrets, nor any plan to move them. The original fronts were the near ceiling mounted PM1000s--I did notice a big improvement in sound stage with the PSB towers, unsure how much was due to having towers vice bookshelfs, how much due to better placement.

XEagleDriver

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like a very comfortable place to enjoy some music and movies. Thanks for the pics!

Question for you: why are the front towers not centered around the TV?

Thanks.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Looks like a very comfortable place to enjoy some music and movies. Thanks for the pics!

Question for you: why are the front towers not centered around the TV?

Thanks.
Adam,
Thanks for the reply. I tried placing the towers both ways; centered with sub to the outside, and as you see in the picture. When I placed them centered on the TV and therefore closer together, the sound stage collapsed too much to my ears (as poor as they are).

I haven't noticed any degradation to movie sound-tracks (I guess because the center channel is centered), but I use the room for as much MC music as HT--and prefered the sound compromise achieved this way.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Eagle Roost Change 1

Two recent modifications:

1) Replaced the Yamaha RX-V659 with a HDMI capable Denon 988--gained DSD over HDMI SACD sound, better DACs, Audyssey MultiEQxt, new HD lossless codecs, a bit more "all channels driven" power, and Amazon had a price I could'nt pass up.

Still working out the AVR's various settings, but first impressions are good. It will be interesting to compare Denon's multi-point Audyssey to Yamaha's single point YPAO EQ results.

2) Placed the sub on a Auralex GRAMMA Amplifier and Monitor Isolation Platform to stop some plaster pops I was getting over drywall screws in adjacent rooms. :eek: Curiously, only one pop in the media room itself. Noticeably reduced the sub rumble in the rest of the house.

Will update pics when I have some time.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Nice, clean setup!!!

I am a big fan of PSB's. Great technology!!!!

Enjoy.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Superb!

nice set up;).....how do the psb's sound?
Readily admitting I am still "training and educating" my way less-than-perfect ears (many years sitting ~48" in front of a pair of F-100 jet engines)--I think they are superb! T45s made the biggest improvement to the rig. :D

I have become a big fan of PSB, especially given the price/performance ratio the Image line provides.

The clarity and bass improved dramatically with the Denon AVR (to be fair it is over twice the MSRP of the Yamaha AVR it replaced).

Porschetech

Porschetech

Audioholic
Readily admitting I am still "training and educating" my way less-than-perfect ears (many years sitting ~48" in front of a pair of F-100 jet engines)--I think they are superb! T45s made the biggest improvement to the rig. :D

I have become a big fan of PSB, especially given the price/performance ratio the Image line provides.

The clarity and bass improved dramatically with the Denon AVR (to be fair it is over twice the MSRP of the Yamaha AVR it replaced).
i totally understand. i tried to convince my friend to buy some paradigms, but he went with psb's and hasn't looked back since. whats most important is that YOU like em ;)

i had an older psb sub that i gave to my brother along with the older kef q series speakers. i remember that sub being amaaaaaaaazing!!!! :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis