Aperion Audio Bravus 12D Subwoofer

A

arnyplmr

Enthusiast
ya i have someone posted something a while back about it. they have a cool microsite. that sub looks bad ***, two 12's in a sealed box. :eek: im jealous. be sure to give us an update when it arrives and let us know how it preforms

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

When I ordered mine, I talked with Jason for twenty min. asking questions about the sub. The parametric EQ will be fun to play around with, and with a remote, no more jumping up to adjust the sub! Three customizable presets, or the ability to shape your own curves, to cool.

The two 12's are in phase, so blowing a driver will take serious pounding at high volume levels. It won't go as deep as many subs, my Hsu included, but I'm after tight punchy music bass, as movies are an after thought to me, I listen to music ALL the time.

Since I already own Aperion mains, center, and surrounds in piano black, this little guy will shine right in. Aperion takes their finishes seriously.

Here is a link to the Bravus "Microsite"

http://www.aperionaudio.com/microsite/bravus/bravus_microsite.html

Has anyone heard one yet?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've only heard the S8, but it prompted me to check Aperion's speaker line as well. Definitely post your impressions of this monster.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

It has arrived!

First a few photos before my initial listening impressions. Here she is, right where FedEx man put her down in my bedroom. I had my female caregiver meet him at the door, so he carried it right to my room, cool.

In the background is my audio/video rack, LPA-1 at bottom, Aperion 633 LR Tower next to it.

Here is the box with ALL the goodies, remote control, unpacking instructions, various feet, and that new sub smell :D

As per instructions, we flipped the box upside down, which is perfect for unpacking, as the screw holes for the feet were exposed for us now.

Sorry about the light, but Lindsay was excited about hooking her up as I was! Trying to show the attention to detail used for shipping. Inside the plastic bag was the velvet purple bag with the Bravus 12D inside of that. All Aperion speakers are packed this way, nice touch.

Right side up to reveal the goods.

Here she is in her new home. The UPS's on the left are a reference as to the small size, the black one is 2200 watts, the small one 1000 watts for the sub. I use these to power everything in my sig.

FIRST SETUP IMPRESSIONS​

Your going to want to read the manual on this one. The manual is simple, and explains everything in easy to understand way, although most of us, me included will hook her up and read later, this is not the case. The sub has a nice remote control, but the front panel display is small and hard to read from a far. Once the menu matrix is understood, the rest is almost easy.

ALMOST EASY because this bad boy comes set from the factory with music, movie, or video game EQ settings. All three can be customed taylored. Then there is the parametric EQ, low bass boost, volume, crossover and more. I have not played with the para EQ and may not until I have a bass test tone CD. I put the low bass boost on flat, as I wanted to hear the sub in "music mode".

A little disappointing that you MUST choose one of the three presets :confused: But not to worry, I'm sure the parametric EQ will be this subs strong point as far as tayloring your room response.

FIRST LISTENING IMPRESSIONS​

My first test song was 'Thank You" by Alanis Morissette. Nice deep bass, but this song didn't have enough transients for me, so I cued up some Alice in Chains for some grungy deep bass. I was impressed, and the sub doesn't seem to have any bad habits set on music mode. Next we go even darker, with some Godsmack. Godsmack came along ten years ago, and although hard rock, the lyrics are all clear, and the drummer, Shannon Larkin plays a Yamaha kit with fury, with many many earthen beats, even tribal. FYI - Godsmack is the name of an Alice in Chains song, and was "borrowed" as this groups name. The group isn't satanic, but instead Pagans :rolleyes: I recommend "Ten years of Godsmack" which comes with a CD and a DVD of Godsmack playing acoustic in Las Vegas. Very neat stuff.

The Bravus 12D has the tight sealed sub sound I was after. Bear in mind this sub is replacing a Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo with an MBM-12, a tough act to follow indeed. The Bravus hits tight clean and low. Really amazing considering the size of the sub, with two 12" aluminum drivers, a BASH amp, and the EQ all in one very nice cabinet. The Piano Black is perfect as always.

Aperion is kind enough to sell this sub shipped for $1099.00. And comes with a three year transferable warranty, should you sell it. Since Aperion allows a 30 day audition and will take it back shipping paid both ways, I'm going to give her the movie test next, then more music, and if I'm not happy, shes going back, and I'll get in line for the Emotiva sealed subs. But I'm liking what I hear, so probably not ;).

As I type this, Larkin's percussion is keeping the 12D plenty busy, and she sounds great. Disappointed at first by the three modes, I don't believe that will be much of an issue. I've got the sub turned up pretty loud, and there is no muddiness at all. Just clean tight bass. Now listening to XM "20 on 20" which is all bubblegum pop, but interesting beats. The Bravus 12D continues to impress as I continue to listen to more and more music!

Just first impressions, and a 29 more days to try her out. I think for the money, there is a lot of sub here. After I play with the Parametric EQ I'll report back on the fun I'm having.

leo1058

leo1058

Audioholic
looks great. hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.

S

sbeveraggi

Audiophyte
Great post Gimpy Ric!
Looking forward to your full review and more pictures!
Also, how do you think it compares with your Hsu?
Thanks.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

how do you think it compares with your Hsu?
Thanks.
This should be good, as the Aperion Audio Bravus 12D and the Hsu Research VTF-3 HO Turbo are both a few pennies of each other in cost, shipped to your door for $1100.00

I was not able to A/B the two subs, as I sold the Hsu a few days before the Bravus 12D arrived. The Bravus 12D is only 1/3 the size of the big ported VTF-3 HO w/Turbo. The Bravus is tiny at 17" high, 15.5" wide, and 15.5" deep. You could eat Christmas dinner off the Hsu, maybe a pot pie and a beer on the Bravus :D At first glance, the Bravus is so small you would never guess that it had two 12 inch drivers inside. But you will when you listen.

I've had both subs loud enough to make small objects move, but what does that prove? For the money, they better! These are not cheap subs, and a certain standard should be expected. But, saving some hearing for old age, I'll critic the music side of things. I like my bottom end FULL. Ever since I was 17 I've been chasing bass, and at 43, I think I've found it.

For grunting low below 20 Hz. the Hsu wins. The Bravus is -6 db @ 18 Hz. while the Hsu digs down to 16 Hz. when setup for max extension. But this means very little to me, as music is my thing, and you can't hear that low anyways :confused: But everybody wants to know.

I'm only on my second day with the Bravus 12D but for music shes tops, as sealed subs sound tighter to me. I've owned a sealed M&K (12" x 2), a ported Infinity (PS-12), a ported Hsu, a sealed Velodyne, and now the Aperion which is not only sealed, but has two active in phase 12's. The Hsu is also good for music, and I'll always say so.

Finish: The Piano Black Bravus 12D kills the Hsu in looks. No contest here. Sorry Hsu.
Integration: With a built in Para EQ, the Bravus should be easier to place in your room. Not all of us have the room to put the sub where it needs to go, so we settle for what we get out of a corner, or like me, between the mains.
Sound: Both subs have excellent table manners, they just go around the barn in different directions.
Output: Since I have no clue when to stop turning the volume up at reference levels, and the only test equipment I own is a Rat Shack SPL meter, craigsub will have to awnser this one. I WILL NOT clip an amp if I can help it! But I have had small objects move with both subs, so its enough.
Overall: If you have room for the big Hsu, and don't mind its Turbo, go for it, these are both great subs. If your restricted by the WAF, then your in luck, as the Aperion Bravus 12D is small, has two furniture grade finishes, and performance wise has nothing to be ashamed of. Its just different ;)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Nice looking sub!

Reminds me of the Velodyne SPL series. Only this Aperian has TWO 12" woofers!:D

Does the parametric EQ do automatic in room adjustments? Or do you have to do manual adjustments?

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

No microphone for room setup. I assume one is just going to "tune to taste" or get anal with meters and test CD's. Maybe Aperion dropped the ball on this one, as the Emotiva DRS-1 system will have this feature @ the same price point.

For the record, the Hsu has one toggle switch for 'tuning". Oh yeah, and a port plug :p

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I love port plugs!

Didn't someone here stuff his old socks into a tuning port?:D

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Point goes to Aperion

My buddy and care giver Kerry says that he prefers the Aperion Bravus over the Hsu hands down for music. He's here six nights a week working, and remembers when I bought the Hsu. We listen to a lot of music, and have tried out the Bravus 12D with rock, country, pop, and some explosions from the Blu ray movie "Marine".

The Bravus 12D has captured me by surprise. I thought that going from the Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo and MBM-12 to the smaller Aperion was down grading, but quite the opposite is true. The Bravus 12D is very musical sub, powerful and has enough guts for me.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks for sharing the pics. i always like looking at subwoofer pics :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Looks great! Glad you like it. Those Hsu's were big shoes to fill. :eek:

S

st7677

Audiophyte
From what I can make out is that the Bravus 12D went back within 30 day evaluation period in favor of SVS PB13-Ultra...

However I am still interested to know how much was the difference between Bravus 12D and HSU VTF3 MK3?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis