Barely hear movie characters talking....

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
What do you use the bracing for? Critical dampening includes the reduction of vibration of any mechanical component in the speaker system including, but not limited to, the enclosure.
I use Dense oak to brace speaker enclosures. I also line the wall with 6 or 8 lb rockwool. The exterior of the enclosure is composed of 3 sections. The exterior Ply layer a vicoelastic layer and then a chipwood interior. Bracing is used about every 3" on every axis internally to the speaker.

For a sub the resonance issues are far lower. My build is a slight variation of the first thread in the DIY corner of the website.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
As far as damping vs. bracing goes... Bracing just limits the amount of damping that might have to be done. It really doesn't matter how the problem of resonance is solved, just that it is. Sometimes just regurgitating things read here can limit learning and understanding.
Sort of. Bracing actually raises the resonance of your enclosures panels. Dampening absorbs the back wave from your speaker driver. The level of both contribute to the build quality of an enclosure.

The burden of proof is on him though. I'd be more than happy to evaluate a product though. I'm open to new ideas as a young gun. ;)

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Perhaps Bio-audio was introduced to this forum in a less than ideal manner, I get that... But his posts and blog certainly elude to the guy knowing what he's talking about.
Sure. And when he pointed that out, he got an offer to start over... then his blog was reviewed. It was from that people began to conclude that he did not, in fact, know what he was talking about.

It is true that a good bit of systems have hard to hear dialogue and HORRIBLE sounding center channels. If there is a fix for this common problem without having to have high-end gear, then, I say bring it on.
Just because you say it is true does not actually make it true. Which systems are you thinking of? I can name any number of low-end systems that will deliver clear dialog. Heck: I've built several.

From what I've read: he's discussing increasing the volume on a frequency range (where dialog is). That's fine. You can do that with a basic equalizer.

In fact, most AVRs do something more sophisticated still with settings like "midnight mode", where they raise the lowest volumes on those frequencies without raising the highest volumes: allowing dialog to be clear at volumes lower than intended by the sound engineer who mastered the audio.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja

Just because you say it is true does not actually make it true.
Right back at ya big guy.

Lots of HTIB systems have this issue, Hell, I had the flagship Klipsch stuff for a while and had fits getting my center channel dialed in. It was a problem my modest AVR couldnt fix. My parents YAMMY HTIB has this issue, even when dialed in using an SPL meter.

The problem exists, it really does. I'm curious how he's gonna overcome poor design, room limitations, etc...

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Eiher you are moving enough air or you are not. If you are not, either the cone needs to be bigger, or it needs to throw farther, or you need something to channel the sound (like a horn).

If you are moving enough air, either you are reproducing the sound correctly or you are not. If you are not (because you are db down) then equalization is an option (though it would take a custom equalizer to hope to bring to flat).

If you are moving enough air, and the sound is being reproduced correctly, then the issue is either the source material, or the volume nob.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis