Hsu Research VTF-3 HO Turbo & MBM-12

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I've owned a Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo since July of 2007. It's an awesome sub, and I've got it setup for maximum extension, down to 16 Hz. Movies are what you would expect from Hsu's flagship model, deep, pounding tear down the house bass.

But its time to kick it up a notch, so I've ordered a MBM-12 to hit hard between 50 Hz and 80 Hz, where the VTF-3 HO Turbo is at a disadvantage because of its heavy deep bass driver. The MBM-12 also has a 12" driver, but its a lighter stiffer driver, made to move faster, and give that punchy mid bass, for example, dance music.

Setup will be easy. A Y adaptor on my Emo Prepro, and one RCA cable to each sub. The MBM-12 will operate from 50 Hz up by design, and my Emo Prepro will cut it off at 80 Hz. I'll set the VTF-3 HO Turbo to use its built in crossover, and to only work from 50 Hz down. Quite simple.

Sound test coming next! Just think, 850 watts with two 12's in two cabs, one near me, the big boy across the room. Can't wait! All for $1500.00

Ric

majorloser

majorloser

I guarantee you won't be disappointed :cool:

If you get the MBM-12 near or behind your seating position it give a great "kick in the butt".

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

If you get the MBM-12 near or behind your seating position it give a great "kick in the butt".
majorloser - are you the mod with 2 VTF-3 HO Turbos, and an MDM-12? I remember a moderator posting a pick one time.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Cool deal Greg,

That was the link I was looking for :D !! majorloser is insane about his audio! Killer pics of everything.

I've already bought the y adapter and second subwoofer cable, 60' of it. I've got a place right by me to place the MBM-12. I've got my "Handy Dandy" CD of test tones, now just to score a SPL meter.

Gimpy

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I really thought you would be going the Emotiva route on subs.
Cool deal Greg,

That was the link I was looking for :D !! majorloser is insane about his audio! Killer pics of everything.

I've already bought the y adapter and second subwoofer cable, 60' of it. I've got a place right by me to place the MBM-12. I've got my "Handy Dandy" CD of test tones, now just to score a SPL meter.

Gimpy

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I thought he agreed to be the resident Emotiva Fanboy.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

I thought he agreed to be the resident Emotiva Fanboy.
Yeah, I'm the Emo Fanboy, but just for electronics right now...That Hsu sub has grown on me, so getting the little brother for it was logical to me. I hate trying to sell stuff to buy new stuff (like selling a $999.00 Hsu to buy $999.00 Emo Subs)

Lets see, I'm also the un-official Aperion Audio fanboy, but their subs are weak compared to SVS or Hsu. Pretty, but just not enough to get me shakin'.

But if I were starting from scratch, I might try the Emo subs after a few real world reviews.

Gimpy

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

majorloser's twin VTF-3 HO Turbos and MBM-12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

This dual sub setup is heaven sent! The Big Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo blends in easily with the Mid Bass Module 12. Here is my setup again:

I've owned a Hsu VTF-3 HO Turbo since July of 2007. It's an awesome sub, and I've got it setup for maximum extension, down to 16 Hz. Movies are what you would expect from Hsu's flagship model, deep, pounding tear down the house bass.

But its time to kick it up a notch, so I've ordered a MBM-12 to hit hard between 50 Hz and 80 Hz, where the VTF-3 HO Turbo is at a disadvantage because of its heavy deep bass driver. The MBM-12 also has a 12" driver, but its a lighter stiffer driver, made to move faster, and give that punchy mid bass, for example, dance music.

Setup will be easy. A Y adaptor on my Emo Prepro, and one RCA cable to each sub. The MBM-12 will operate from 50 Hz up by design, and my Emo Prepro will cut it off at 80 Hz. I'll set the VTF-3 HO Turbo to use its built in crossover, and to only work from 50 Hz down. Quite simple.

This setup is insane, compared to night clubs, low riders with 22" blades :D, and live concerts. I always leave the VTF-3 HO Turbo controls alone, I only every now and then adjust the MBM-12. The Emo remote has a sub level on it, and its handy, it adjusts both subs level at the same time.

I listen to Rock, Country, Pop, Trance, some Rap, but music is a must. If I'm not on my Ham Radios talking, the stereo is going and I'll enjoy my two sub setup ;)

Remember, this setup was designed to work together, so your milage may vary depending on your subs. GOOD luck!

F

Futurephile

Enthusiast
Sheep, please explain why that is?
I respect your opinion.
Thank you.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
4 subwoofers is the best way to tame all the big peaks and nulls in a listening environment (then you can add a precise EQ for the last bits). There is other members who can better explain the mechanics of it but it's been proven (other members can better show this proof, also).

The best way I can explain the reason for not NEEDING an MBM is this.

Take a speaker system with 2 way bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. The bookshelf speaker plays down to 80Hz, and up to 20,000Hz. The crossover is set at 2,500Hz. That means the Midrange plays between 80Hz-2500Hz and the tweeter plays from 2,500Hz-20,000Hz. The subwoofer plays from 80Hz down.

Now, we trust the tweeter to cover a 17,500hz range in frequency, and the midrange to cover a 2420hz range in frequency, but we don't trust that a subwoofer driver is capable of producing a mere 80hz range (not even, most likely 60Hz on a good day)? That doesn't sit right with me. The biggest argument FOR a MBM is that the room acoustics come into play and the subwoofer doesn't like mid-bass. We all know for a fact that it doesn't play them poorly, and that a subwoofer is fully capable of playing flat, without one. So really, a MBM is just a poor solution to a problem, and it doesn't even really fix it. The subwoofer is still not going to be flat, even playing 50Hz down. Might as well grab 2 subwoofers and a decent EQ (SMS-1 etc) and have a flatter FR without a spending $500 on a mid-bass subwoofer that isn't going to help the low end.

SheepStar

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
as the character Frank Barone would say, "holy crap!" I would love to hear that

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis