Which Sub is best for HT

P

PAULFESS

Audiophyte
I've been searching for a Subwoofer to augment the UFW-10 I currently use in my HT. Budget is <1500. Issues are I have are limited space to place another subwoofer - one possiblity would be behind a sectional, the other in the front left corner of the 13 x 27 x 8 room I use for HT. Upcoming upgrades to TV mean I'll be changing from a vertical equipment rack to a horizontal console so space accross the front of the room is limited. I's like to purchase this before October 12. So I'd like to see if any of the forum members could add some insight from their experience. The subs under consideration are
  • PB12-Plus/2 - Pro- Better WAF, Con-at limit of Budget
  • VTF-3 HO w turbo, Pro - well within Budget, Con - No WAF
If any one has heard these two, which sounds better for HT - this is strictly a HT set up. The plan is to use two subs the UFW-10 for upper base and the new one for the lower base. We'd like to really feel the LF effects on movies (w/o buttkickers) Any help comments would be appreciated. Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If any one has heard these two, which sounds better for HT
I have heard both subs and IMO there is no difference. Well there is a difference but so small that audibly I don't think you can hear, or feel it. Both are excellent performers, and will be more then enough for your size room IMO.

IMO I wouldn't even use your current sub.

Also look at the new Ultra series from SVS. Tube or Box

http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm#ultraupdate

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I've been searching for a Subwoofer to augment the UFW-10 I currently use in my HT. Budget is <1500. Issues are I have are limited space to place another subwoofer - one possiblity would be behind a sectional, the other in the front left corner of the 13 x 27 x 8 room I use for HT. Upcoming upgrades to TV mean I'll be changing from a vertical equipment rack to a horizontal console so space accross the front of the room is limited. I's like to purchase this before October 12. So I'd like to see if any of the forum members could add some insight from their experience. The subs under consideration are
If any one has heard these two, which sounds better for HT - this is strictly a HT set up. The plan is to use two subs the UFW-10 for upper base and the new one for the lower base. We'd like to really feel the LF effects on movies (w/o buttkickers) Any help comments would be appreciated. Thanks
If space is truly an issue, you may want to consider two smaller subs like the SB12's or a pair 25-31 PCi's? For HT use, the 25-31's may outperform the Plus/2, and cheaper to boot.

Between the two you mention, the VTF-3 w/Turbo is the better deal, as IMO it outperforms the Plus/2, but as you mention, the finish isn't as nice. Any of the solutions will likely put a smile on your face though :)

One other note, with the new Ultras shipping, you may want to check Audiogon at all the people dumping their old subs ;)

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

VTF-3 HO with Turbo

I have a VTF-3 HO with Turbo and love it. You can use it without the Turbo, and the when the misses is shopping, slip it on :D Mine is in a much smaller room, and its trying to tear my house down when I jam out. It's so strong we turn it down on the prepro for movies.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
for HT, I highly doubt you will be able to distinguish between the two you posted.

Kaboom! Kabum?

P

PAULFESS

Audiophyte
Thanks for the responses. In this case I may have to go with the one that looks better and costs more.

I have two spaces in the room where I can fit the new sub, even after I put in a 6 ft long console across the front difference in sizes is not that much w/o turbo

PB12-Plus/2 19 28 26.5
Hsu VTF-3 Ho W Turbo 17 25 21.5

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
difference in sizes is not that much w/o turbo

PB12-Plus/2 19 28 26.5
Hsu VTF-3 Ho W Turbo 17 25 21.5
Don't let the numbers fool you. The HSU is a lot smaller then the SVS, and weighs less.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Would you be interested in a DIY thing like IB? IBs are relatively invisible in the room, cheap, and super-effective.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
What you need is the JBL 4788 T.C.B. (Triple Chamber Band Pass) dual 18” 1.2KW and it goes down low enough with window damaging high sound pressure levels.:p

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would love to hear that thing!... Why not just get a def tech trinity sub!

annunaki

annunaki

What you need is the JBL 4788 T.C.B. (Triple Chamber Band Pass) dual 18” 1.2KW and it goes down low enough with window damaging high sound pressure levels.:p
I like that there is nothing in the picture for reference of size. Put a CD next to it and it will look like a dime. :D :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis