Emotiva LMC-1 & LPA-1 Review

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Does this setup feature a bass/midrange/treble control? I would expect at least that much if an internal eq isn't present
I recall from the .pdf manual mention of bass and treble controls. midrange? I'm not sure. I don't recall if, but I presume the channels can be set individually.
Regardless, it's hard to imagine the simple old style treble/bass/mid knobs comparing to a PEQ or even GEQ.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I recall from the .pdf manual mention of bass and treble controls. midrange? I'm not sure. I don't recall if, but I presume the channels can be set individually.
Regardless, it's hard to imagine the simple old style treble/bass/mid knobs comparing to a PEQ or even GEQ.
That's the big hang up with the Marantz AVR's. I know the 8400 model only had the bass/treble controls.

S

Sivad888

Audiophyte
Beyond pleased with Emotiva

This is my first post and I tried to read all previous post so as to not repeat any topics. Here's my version of this gig.

I found out about Emotiva sometime around 1:00 am on Sunday night, wrote an email, made a phone call, drove 9 hours, and was at Emotiva around 5:00 pm the same day. The guys were awesome, gave me a full tour and couldn't have been more informative. No box store or a/v boutique I visited in the past four months of assembling the guts of my HT could come close. To talk to the guys with the soldering irons in their hands that do the r&d on these things was awesome. To have them tell you why they decided to put this here and that there, really made a big difference in my decision making process. I was on a business trip with my boss and since we were in an Audi TT I rode home with the 24 pounds of processor in my lap (9 hours) and the LPA in the boot.

First thing I want to make clear is that I AM NOT A SELF PROCLAIMED AUDIOPHILE. However, I am a musician that plays a little on every instrument and I know what sounds good and what sounds right. I have recorded with some really impressive equipment and set up some venues with some pretty awesome equipment. This combo far surpassed my expectations of what $2,000 could buy much less $900. The first time I heard DMB's #41 from Listener Supported, I was moved to chills having seen this performed live numerous times.

It was not all fun and games however. The first time I hooked the system up I could not get anything to work except the Zone 2 connects. I called Emotiva and Robert walked me through everything he could thinks of to try and resolve the problem. A few hours later, Lonnie emailed me and wanted me to call him at my earliest convenience. He also tried everything he knew and informed me that a new unit was on the way. It was on my front porch the next day.

The new unit has been awesome to say the least. I am thrilled with the product. I am thrilled with the sound and build quality and the aesthetics. The power is more than enough for my room and speakers. I can not find any coloration in any recoding that shouldn't be there. The separation and placement of instruments is very satisfying.

Movie's are terrific. LFE details are lively, even with a crappy sub that sat in until my new one arrived. Very distinct channels. As much control as can be needed unless marketing hype and "latest / greatest" put a smile on your face instead of good sound (insert grumbles and gasp!).

As far as EQ worries and ratings of 1k vs. 20-20k, I wouldn't be to concerned. Unless you plan on a showing of Lord Of the Rings to Peter Jackson, and you want everything to be just right- including lighting that shows off your perfect replica Hobbit feet, the Emotiva will do the job.

Yeah the remote isn't great for regular use, but its not meant to be. Its meant to help with set up from the seat and to keep that beautiful, black faceplate as clean as possible. I "learned" mine into a Palm Zire and it works just fine. (Back light woo-hoo)

The power ratings are all in RMS, not the max that other companies like to publish. My LPA has given me a 246 so far. I don't want to break in anything to quickly.

I hope that this post might clear up any questions anyone has about the UL's or Emotiva. I would encourage anyone out there looking to spend $2,000 on sound reproduction to give this a try. The more expensive units are unreal. But I couldn't justify the difference for my room size and the difference in sound. My father, a die hard Marantz man for as long as I have know a stereo existed, is going to be getting one very soon. My father-in-law is also planning an upgrade in the near future.

J

jholtz

Audiophyte
This is my first post and I tried to read all previous post so as to not repeat any topics. Here's my version of this gig.

I found out about Emotiva sometime around 1:00 am on Sunday night, wrote an email, made a phone call, drove 9 hours, and was at Emotiva around 5:00 pm the same day. The guys were awesome, gave me a full tour and couldn't have been more informative. No box store or a/v boutique I visited in the past four months of assembling the guts of my HT could come close. To talk to the guys with the soldering irons in their hands that do the r&d on these things was awesome. To have them tell you why they decided to put this here and that there, really made a big difference in my decision making process. I was on a business trip with my boss and since we were in an Audi TT I rode home with the 24 pounds of processor in my lap (9 hours) and the LPA in the boot.

First thing I want to make clear is that I AM NOT A SELF PROCLAIMED AUDIOPHILE. However, I am a musician that plays a little on every instrument and I know what sounds good and what sounds right. I have recorded with some really impressive equipment and set up some venues with some pretty awesome equipment. This combo far surpassed my expectations of what $2,000 could buy much less $900. The first time I heard DMB's #41 from Listener Supported, I was moved to chills having seen this performed live numerous times.

It was not all fun and games however. The first time I hooked the system up I could not get anything to work except the Zone 2 connects. I called Emotiva and Robert walked me through everything he could thinks of to try and resolve the problem. A few hours later, Lonnie emailed me and wanted me to call him at my earliest convenience. He also tried everything he knew and informed me that a new unit was on the way. It was on my front porch the next day.

The new unit has been awesome to say the least. I am thrilled with the product. I am thrilled with the sound and build quality and the aesthetics. The power is more than enough for my room and speakers. I can not find any coloration in any recoding that shouldn't be there. The separation and placement of instruments is very satisfying.

Movie's are terrific. LFE details are lively, even with a crappy sub that sat in until my new one arrived. Very distinct channels. As much control as can be needed unless marketing hype and "latest / greatest" put a smile on your face instead of good sound (insert grumbles and gasp!).

As far as EQ worries and ratings of 1k vs. 20-20k, I wouldn't be to concerned. Unless you plan on a showing of Lord Of the Rings to Peter Jackson, and you want everything to be just right- including lighting that shows off your perfect replica Hobbit feet, the Emotiva will do the job.

Yeah the remote isn't great for regular use, but its not meant to be. Its meant to help with set up from the seat and to keep that beautiful, black faceplate as clean as possible. I "learned" mine into a Palm Zire and it works just fine. (Back light woo-hoo)

The power ratings are all in RMS, not the max that other companies like to publish. My LPA has given me a 246 so far. I don't want to break in anything to quickly.

I hope that this post might clear up any questions anyone has about the UL's or Emotiva. I would encourage anyone out there looking to spend $2,000 on sound reproduction to give this a try. The more expensive units are unreal. But I couldn't justify the difference for my room size and the difference in sound. My father, a die hard Marantz man for as long as I have know a stereo existed, is going to be getting one very soon. My father-in-law is also planning an upgrade in the near future.
Good morning and thanks for the post of your experiences with Emotiva thus far. I'm most interested in the sound quality in 2-channel mode and you'd eluded to the fact that it is very good. Can you elaborate just a bit on the music performance in comparison to other equipment you've heard or owned and also could you tell us a little about the rest of your system. Speakers, source components etc.?

I'm particularly interested in the LPA-1 amp. You mentioned 246? I assume you've measured 4 ohm output? If so can you give details?

Thank you! I appreciate your feed back.

Best regards,

Jim

A

avddreamr

Audiophyte
The review was good, and I'm sure that properly mated they make an excellent combo.

However the lack of a bench test, primarily the preamp section is what is going to keep me from considering the unit for my very specific needs.

(I need a very clean preamp to drive an active signal processor for my fronts).

I guess you guys have set the bar far to high in the previous reviews.

Now onto finding a reciever with hdmi 1.2a... and can give me 1.5 volts at .01% thd.

Nes

Last edited:
birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
response

Thanks to all who have trashed, praised, or been indifferent to my review on the Emotiva combo. Let me sum up my thoughts by passing along a comment that was made to me recently: "I know Gene DellaSala. And you, J., are no Gene DellaSala!!"

But after reading through this thread, I went back and checked on a few things that have been brought up, and wanted to give you the following update:

• In my tests, the LMC-1 defaults to DD EX or DTS ES accordingly when chosen in a disc's menu.

• I was able to force any DD source to PLIIx without problems. If I chose "movie" mode, it would remember that setting even if I turned the LMC-1 off and then on again. However, if I switched the DD input from PLIIx to DD EX or DD AC-3, then back to PLIIx, it would return back to "music"mode, which is the default. So that is a legitimate operational complaint, (although not a bug).* You then must go into MENU>Mode Select>Pro Logic 2x to set it back to "movie."

• I did have problems with DTS Neo:6. I was unable to force the LMC-1 into this mode from a DTS or DTS-ES disc. I tried this again after selecting "stereo" from a few DVD menus, but still had no luck. (We have contacted Emotiva about this issue and they are researching it now. I will post back here once they let me know what they have found.)

• As for "clean power," I am just describing the difference in sound between a lower-powered receiver that may clip from time to time vs. the powerful soundstage offered by separates.

• The LMC-1 does have bass and treble controls. In fact, there are dedicated buttons for each on the remote.

I hope this clears up at least a few of the complaints/questions about the review.

J

jacobms1

Enthusiast
J-
Thanks for following up on some of the questions....I have one more for you. One of the things I've heard alot about since yesterday but haven't experienced yet for myself (my combo will arrive Monday) is the following scenario. When watching tv if you have lets say PLII(or IIx) enabled then you flip to a channel that has AC3/DD the processor picks this up but if you flip back or to another channel that is not DD the processor goes to "bypass" mode and you have to go back and reapply PLII, etc. I can see how this could be seen as an "issue" as each time you change the channel you have to reapply the PLII?

Can you check this on your demo unit or possibly follow up with Emotiva on it, as they won't seem to comment on it publicly.

Thanks,
Matt

BTW, I did think your review was good, it literally tipped the scale and sent me to the site to order the combo yesterday am! It's my own fault for not having looked into what other "issues" users may be experiencing. Thanks for your hard work, sorry if my post sounded harsh.

S

Sivad888

Audiophyte
My "stereo" opinion

Good morning and thanks for the post of your experiences with Emotiva thus far. I'm most interested in the sound quality in 2-channel mode and you'd eluded to the fact that it is very good. Can you elaborate just a bit on the music performance in comparison to other equipment you've heard or owned and also could you tell us a little about the rest of your system. Speakers, source components etc.?

I'm particularly interested in the LPA-1 amp. You mentioned 246? I assume you've measured 4 ohm output? If so can you give details?

Thank you! I appreciate your feed back.

Best regards,

Jim
I am using Mourdant aluminum drivers all the way around. I have the towers up front but I don't feel this qualifies me for a 2-channel system critique. I bought this set up for my basement remodel. It had everything I was looking for. We are putting in an office and a dedicated theater room. The Zone 2 is going to the office and the rest is a 7.1 surround.

After listening to Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer Premier units (from $500-$2,500, you get the idea) I felt that the most uncompromising sound came from the Emotiva. If two channel is your preference, and you are spending less on speakers, I would look at the Reference Audio combo. The layout of the internals is gorgeous.

Former products range from the beginning of HT with a Panasonic HTIB to a "high end Sony HTIB," Then Sony ES products, with a Marantz SA8001 and a Klipsich surround set. I currently use the Marantz player, an Oppo DV-981 universal (Thanks to this site), all Ixos cables, and a 60-inch Sony SXRD.

My reference disc includes:
Dollly Parton: The Grass Is Blue, The Grass is Blue (amazing recording if you haven't heard it) Goal: Vocals and String detail
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones: Vix 9 Goal: layering of instruments and bass-line detail
Eagles: Hotel California (live), Hell Freezes Over Goal: Dynamic and tight kick drum layered with acoustic guitar and very distinct bass guitar (really a cool recording)
DMB: Crush, Before These Crowded Streets Goal: Dynamic Range with horns, electric guitar and excellent separation between instruments.
Alice In Chains: Swing On This, Jar Of Flies Goal: Tight kick drum, perfect imaging and distinct instruments and vocals.
Mazzy Star: Fade Into You, So That Tonight I May See Goal: If you haven't heard Hope Sandavol then you think Norah Jones is good.
Cracker: I Want Everything, Kerosene Hat, Imaging, Imaging, Imaging and some instrument layering (Not the cleanest recording)

I list these because you can get an idea of what I feel is good sound. This stuff is so subjective. I hope some of this helps. Movies are superb, but thats not your preference.

S

Sivad888

Audiophyte
By The Way

One thing I've learned over the years is that no matter how great your gear is, a venue is only going to sound like THAT venue. Translated, your room is as reflective or as warm as you build it. I spent the majority of my room's budget on sound treatment- based on the studios and venues I like and know are going to work. Harsh highs and boomy lows can be resolved a lot more effectively with $1,000 in sound treatment than with a $2,000 E.Q.

My HT is 31L x 12W x 8H. It required a lot of ceiling work to get what I wanted. Look at it any way you want but, a button will solve the problem for about four-times the cost of foam, some math and a SPL meter. if you set up with an "automated" system and then slap a response curve to it, the reflective surfaces can be quite harsh with highs. Walls lacking proper insulation can be boomy and the mids will be lost. Tune your own system and listen for distinct, not uniform. Soundboard guys don't listen for uniform, they listen for distinct and tight- Trust me.

As far as movies and SA-CD / DVD-A goes I have never engineered or recorded sound for these applications and I feel it would be irresponsible to vouch for such formats.

There it is.

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Kudos to J for giving us updates and staying on top of this--

J

jholtz

Audiophyte
I am using Mourdant aluminum drivers all the way around. I have the towers up front but I don't feel this qualifies me for a 2-channel system critique. I bought this set up for my basement remodel. It had everything I was looking for. We are putting in an office and a dedicated theater room. The Zone 2 is going to the office and the rest is a 7.1 surround.

After listening to Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer Premier units (from $500-$2,500, you get the idea) I felt that the most uncompromising sound came from the Emotiva. If two channel is your preference, and you are spending less on speakers, I would look at the Reference Audio combo. The layout of the internals is gorgeous.

Former products range from the beginning of HT with a Panasonic HTIB to a "high end Sony HTIB," Then Sony ES products, with a Marantz SA8001 and a Klipsich surround set. I currently use the Marantz player, an Oppo DV-981 universal (Thanks to this site), all Ixos cables, and a 60-inch Sony SXRD.

My reference disc includes:
Dollly Parton: The Grass Is Blue, The Grass is Blue (amazing recording if you haven't heard it) Goal: Vocals and String detail
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones: Vix 9 Goal: layering of instruments and bass-line detail
Eagles: Hotel California (live), Hell Freezes Over Goal: Dynamic and tight kick drum layered with acoustic guitar and very distinct bass guitar (really a cool recording)
DMB: Crush, Before These Crowded Streets Goal: Dynamic Range with horns, electric guitar and excellent separation between instruments.
Alice In Chains: Swing On This, Jar Of Flies Goal: Tight kick drum, perfect imaging and distinct instruments and vocals.
Mazzy Star: Fade Into You, So That Tonight I May See Goal: If you haven't heard Hope Sandavol then you think Norah Jones is good.
Cracker: I Want Everything, Kerosene Hat, Imaging, Imaging, Imaging and some instrument layering (Not the cleanest recording)

I list these because you can get an idea of what I feel is good sound. This stuff is so subjective. I hope some of this helps. Movies are superb, but thats not your preference.
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I do a 50/50 mix of home theater and music. I have Selah Audio line arrays for mains and Selah Audio custom designed center and surrounds. Plus several other speakers that I'd like to sell. I'm a hard core DIY speaker builder. :D It's an addiction!:eek:

The reson for my interest in the LPA-1 is that I'd like to get one quality amp to replace all of my amps. Home theater isn't a problem to find decent amps for excellent sound quality but my main amp is tougher. It's a Hafler 280XL with complete Musical Concepts Signature mods that I've had for about 15 years. It's been a killer amp which is the problem. I don't want to give up any of the sound quality but it'd be nice to integrate a bit. I'll probably have to order a LPA-1 and compare it to the 280 and see if the LPA-1 can compare.

Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it!

Jim

S

Sivad888

Audiophyte
All Respects

I would have no honest answer for comparison to your current power source. I can only recommend the LPA. I have no mods on any of my pieces except spikes on the driver cabinets and CD player. I did build my own wall and wiring along with a stage for second row seating and I think I will leave it at that. Honestly, you might be surprised by the technology and similarities to a lot of other lines out there that resemble the Emotiva without the price, marketing, or logos.

The LPA is more than any of my speakers can handle. I have never tried to push anything past the "60.5" on the volume and it becomes obnoxious, even to my seasoned ears. I don't think power would ever be a problem regardless of the pre/pro accompaniment.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Heck I'd like to buy it just so I can say the name....rolls right off the tongue.

E-M-O-T-I-V-A.......queen of darkness.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
J-
Thanks for following up on some of the questions....I have one more for you. One of the things I've heard alot about since yesterday but haven't experienced yet for myself (my combo will arrive Monday) is the following scenario. When watching tv if you have lets say PLII(or IIx) enabled then you flip to a channel that has AC3/DD the processor picks this up but if you flip back or to another channel that is not DD the processor goes to "bypass" mode and you have to go back and reapply PLII, etc. I can see how this could be seen as an "issue" as each time you change the channel you have to reapply the PLII?

Can you check this on your demo unit or possibly follow up with Emotiva on it, as they won't seem to comment on it publicly.

Thanks,
Matt

BTW, I did think your review was good, it literally tipped the scale and sent me to the site to order the combo yesterday am! It's my own fault for not having looked into what other "issues" users may be experiencing. Thanks for your hard work, sorry if my post sounded harsh.
Matt-

I tried the scenarios you described on both my HD DirecTivo and my HD Time Warner Cable DVR. In both cases, the processor stayed with PLIIx when I went back and forth to the HD channels (DD) then back to the standard definition channel (PLIIx). I tried it several times with both sat and cable, and it never defaulted to bypass mode, so I hope this news comes as a relief to you.

I am confident you are going to love the combo, especially if you are moving to it from a receiver. I appreciate your comments - my goal is do the best I can on this stuff, so I am happy for the chance to clarify.

Post back and let us know what you think when you get the gear.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
• As for "clean power," I am just describing the difference in sound between a lower-powered receiver that may clip from time to time vs. the powerful soundstage offered by separates..
Yikes! Talk about your broad generalities. My Denon 3806 never clips, does that mean it has "clean power" too? I am serious, especially when taken in light of the "All Channels Driven Fallacy".

May I suggest staying away from the buzz words ("clean power"), and say what you mean to say. The above comment sounds to me like a sales person trying to talk one into spending lots more money than is necessary. "the powerful soundstage offered by separates."

End of rant.

Nick

To be fair, I don't think jwc was referring to a $1300 AVR-3806 when he stated "lower-priced receiver". Point taken, though - thanks for the feedback.

D

dhark

Junior Audioholic
so where does this combo rank in comparison to say the Yamaha 5990 or even the 2700?? I am looking for something for my HT in the $750 range and if this is as good as you guys say I wouldnt mind spending the extra buck-fifty. BTW I know the 2700 cant be had for $750 just want to know how it stacks up against this Emotiva

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I think there a few that are being far too critical about this review,i understand peoples concerns about the firmware issues & i agree that these issues should have been reviewed,i also think some are sceptical in general when it comes to any seperates being that their current reciever has worked so well for thier needs .

Making associations between this review & snake oil mumbo jumbo is unwarrented IMO.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
I agree. i think the review had some good detail and gave good info. you can bench test all you want, but personally i care more about how it sounds in a real-world situation. bench tests have their place, but it certainly doesn't make or break any decisions for me on products.

i'll tell you what though, i'm considering a trip to the emotiva factory myself now. i live 3 hours from it and may just make a little day trip over there sometime.

thanks for all the info from people who've used/heard this product. looking forward to anyone else's opinion.

also, gene, can't wait to hear about the reference series you're testing from emotiva. it'd be great if you could sample the UL separates and maybe give a bit of a price comparison and an opinion of if the more expensive ones are worth it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis