mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hopefully I can insert/edit a review into this post soon

in the mean time, enjoy the pictures

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Damn

do they look that nice in person. When the time comes, I must go and check them out. Their build quality looks awesome I hope you do a review quicker then sheep;).

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ha, sheep will probably have bought his SVS by the time I make a review, I haven't even had the time to connect these guys! I have yet to strip the speaker wires (I plan to A/B them with my Polks)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not working on any reviews right now.

You guys can send me something and I'd gladly do one though.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I finally had the time to listen to the BR2's. But unlike many of you audiophiles, I wouldn't know bright from warm, good from very good, etc. even if they bit me in the as$. so I had to use another pair of speakers as reference, what I had immediately available was the Polk Audio Rti4. (which coincidentally was similar in price)

I now had an excuse to use my newly purchased quick lock plugs:

I used the Speaker 1 and Speaker 2 connections on my HK3480 which could be controlled via remote control (unlike my yamaha's speaker A and speaker B connections where you need to go the front panel to switch):

I set them up alternately so the soundstage would be the same width:

I used my PC's DVD-Rom as CD player, using the Creative external sound card to output to the stereo receiver.
I used Josh Groban's "To Where You Are" and Susan Wong's "These Foolish Things" as the primary listening material to have both a male and female voice in the mix. To wrap up, I used a variety of mp3's ranging from oldies, ballads, r&b songs and bass heavy rap songs I had stored in the PC.

and on to the listening ...

First I tried the Josh Groban CD, switching between the speakers, immediately noticeable with the Polks was that Groban's voice was more forward than the musical instruments, while the MA's soundstage was the same depth. Initially, I thought the Polks were louder and clearer (I thought it was because of the 8ohm and 6ohm difference between the two but discovered later on that their sensitvities were only 1db from each other), and as many of you know, louder is perceived as better. I tried to balance the volume of the two, but dropped the idea because there was too much time spent in between switches ... with the current procedure, it only took 1-2 seconds to switch. I continued on with Susan Wong's CD ... again, the Polk was louder but this time I realized what the words "bright" and "warm" simply means. the MA's had a warm sound, sound that you would be able to listen to for a long time. the Polks had the advantage with the vocals but after awhile, you'd get "listener's fatigue" again, something I've heard before but only now just discovered. But honestly, if I had brought these two CD’s to a store to A/B these speakers, I would have walked away with the Polks.

I never believed speaker break-in and probably won't in the near future, but for those who do, I have to inform you that the BR's were pretty new and the Polks have had their share of games for awhile.

I scrolled through my "favorites" folder of mp3's this time choosing songs I actually listen to regularly (surely you didn't think I regularly listen to Josh Groban did you? j/k!), these were the ballads and pop songs of the late 90's and early 2000's. This time the MA's had the advantage, they sounded "fuller" while the Polks sounded "thinner" at the mid to low end. So I removed the grills to look at what's happening to the drivers while playing the bass heavy rap songs I always keep around to test subwoofers. Now in theory, a smaller driver would have to move in and out a lot more than a bigger driver would to move the same amount of air. But, Lo and Behold, the MA's were pumping out the bass while the polks mid/bass drivers were barely moving. Note that the MA's had 6.5" drivers while the Polks had 5.25" drivers, at this point you'd say that this was a lopsided shootout, but is it? When they actually have similar real market price.

The bass I got from the MA's were amazing considering the manageable size, they had a similar footprint with the polks but it was a few inches taller.

Conclusion:
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or ears in this case. If you like bright and detailed or if the speaker’s are purely for HT, then the Polks will do great. But if you plan to do any extended music listening, the MA's might be better for you. They each have their forte, the Polks are forward sounding and good for Josh Groban ;D and other vocal heavy songs. the Monitor Audio BR2's are warmer but doesn't actually give up any detail. the Polks actually sound like they have a +6db boost in the treble. I tried toning them down with the treble control and this in fact pushed back the vocals to the same dimension as the musical instruments.

It was unfortunate that the BR series wasn't available when I was choosing a bookshelf speaker, otherwise, I would have ended up with the BR's but during that time I was more into what the speaker looks like than what it sounds like. I've already read a lot of reviews that the MA's were beautiful sounding and competition defeating at each of their price points, but the previous bronze series' looks just didn't do it for me. The current Bronze series however has both the looks and sounds to turn heads! Audition these when looking for a 200+USD pair of bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:
no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
verry nice review Mike! :cool:
and congratulations on a verry nice pair of good looking (and sounding) Monitor Audio's.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
oh they're not mine, I'll be returning them soon to the monitor audio dealer. I was considering these for my HT project and the dealer lent them to me to test out.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the A/B, Mike. That's the ONLY way to fly! :) I think we get a much more accurate portrait of the speakers that way.

(Those are handsome little guys, aren't they?!)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you're welcome 'tomorrow', MA seems to spark little interest among users over here.

when I find the time, I might A/B them again with my Infinity Beta 10's which are more expensive.

regarding the looks, I might go for the black colored speakers, or hopefully, I can borrow the higher series speakers. I already have beech, and wenge wood colors in my room, if I add another shade of wood, I'd get a rainforest :)

Last edited:
K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
Nice review!

Im a big MA fan. Next time I upgrade the Gold series will be at the top of my list.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
KrisJ said:
Nice review!

Im a big MA fan. Next time I upgrade the Gold series will be at the top of my list.
thanks!

I'm hoping to borrow the GS series, but I don't want to borrow too much stuff at the same time, but without doing that, I wouldnt be able to hear how big a difference there is between the series ... so I need to test out my other bookshelves with this one and hope that those beat this so I can return them already.

K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
mike c said:
thanks!

I'm hoping to borrow the GS series, but I don't want to borrow too much stuff at the same time, but without doing that, I wouldnt be able to hear how big a difference there is between the series ... so I need to test out my other bookshelves with this one and hope that those beat this so I can return them already.

One thing about the GS/GR range that has kept me away is that from my experience, you need much better electronics to drive them well. Listening to GR-10's and Silver S1 &2's back to back, the difference between the Gold and Silver was much more noticible when the speakers were driven with a Parasound Halo vs a mid level 3805 Denon reciever

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
that's one of the reasons keeping me from getting the GS series ... I currently can't afford the 2 channel system I "HAVE" to get to match the GS

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I've finally been able to compare the Beta 10 and the BR2. but I only listened to the left channels, because I was too lazy to connect another set of wires.

I have to return the BR2's to its owner as soon as possible, and I must say that I'm sorry to see them go.

anyway, the Beta 10 and BR2 are different but I really can't put into words their difference, nor can I say which sounds better. I guess this is the limit to where I can hear differences in speakers ... I therefore conclude that this Pseudo-Audiophile only has Bronze Ears.

When listening, I used the speaker A and speaker B connections of my Yamaha Rx-v640 receiver; I listen nearfield and I know which is which, but my wife listens without knowing which one is playing. Her choices are 100% consistent and her comments are that the BR2's sound "fuller" and again, the voice and music are of the same loudness. Since both speakers sounded pretty good, she said if forced to choose, she would choose whichever was cheaper, in this case, the BR2.

I on the other hand, echo her comments but would probably toss a coin to pick a winner. The Beta 10's background music were slightly laid back, but in turn gave the vocals very good clarity. the BR2's had warmer bass which made the sound feel "complete" and "louder". In short, whichever tickles your fancy.

I so wanted these speakers to have a night and day difference with each other, but it looks like at this price point, speakers are already of too good quality that it only becomes a question of taste and not build/design quality.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I felt the same way when comparing my Infinity Interlude 10 bookshelf speakers to the Monitor Audio 702-PCM, they don't necessarily sound better, just different. The build quality on the MAs are very high though.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
That first A/B was a nice read Mike, thanks for posting it. I've heard that MA series and it's an excellent monitor. However, the second A/B? C'mon now....Infinity Beta? They stopped making good loudspeakers over a decade ago. Just an opinion guys, don't freak out.

I affectionately recall the Infinity EMIT-R tweeter and the....ugh, a very nice series that I can't recall off hand. Reference Series maybe? The cabinets has a corrugated cardboard side panel look...ring a bell with anyone?

The IRS monoliths are pretty killer but that isn't a "normal" speaker, as much as a space eater with divorce written all over them.
Mark
Polk Audio CS

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That first A/B was a nice read Mike, thanks for posting it. I've heard that MA series and it's an excellent monitor. However, the second A/B? C'mon now....Infinity Beta? They stopped making good loudspeakers over a decade ago. Just an opinion guys, don't freak out.

I affectionately recall the Infinity EMIT-R tweeter and the....ugh, a very nice series that I can't recall off hand. Reference Series maybe? The cabinets has a corrugated cardboard side panel look...ring a bell with anyone?

The IRS monoliths are pretty killer but that isn't a "normal" speaker, as much as a space eater with divorce written all over them.
Mark
Polk Audio CS
Infinty makes very good speakers. The IL 10s I have are excellent, and surprisingly the Primus series is an exeptional value. The Beta series is supposed to be in line with Interlude. Entra on level with Primus, although I was never impressed by the Entra series.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis