Cable for 12v DC trigger (3.5mm jack)

S

Shortround

Audiophyte
The Onkyo SR-TX803 A/V receiver has a nice Zone 2 feature where one can select almost any source. I would like to trigger the power on/off for a Niles S-1230 multi-channel amp at Zone 2 for total house sound. Both Onkyo and Niles have I/O control connectors for this purpose. Both call for a 3.5 mm jack cable to handle 12v DC. I've scoured the internet and cannot find a 3.5 cable for these connectors.

Anyone know where I can find such a cable? .. Radio Shack? (I've checked their web site) .. What's it called? .. Will a 3.5 mini jack stereo cable work? .. Should it be mono ?.. This cable needs to be about 10 feet long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..:)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I buy all my 12v trigger cables at radio shack,they are about $5 each but finding a 10ft length is going to be tricky.

majorloser

majorloser

It's just as easy to buy the ends and make up your own cables. Twisted pair alarm cable works just fine.

S

Shortround

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response. We live in a rather remote area and have only one little Radio Shack about 17 miles away. I'll ask LeRoy if he knows what a 12v "trigger cable" is.. and if he can get his hands on one. Hope he doesn't take his Remington 700 apart. I'll let ya know what happens.. Thanks much.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The receiver probably came with a mono 3.5 mm cable to be used for the RI feature of Onkyo receivers. It's pretty short but it will work if it is long enough to reach the amp.

S

Shortround

Audiophyte
MDS .. I appreciate your response. We bought the receiver factory-new from J&R Electronics and there was no cable.

However, thanks to Gooooogle, I found the cable this morning and bought it from OneCall. For all those out there with the same questions about this 3.5 mm / 1/8" trigger cable, it just so happens that Niles offers it as an accessory part. Their part number is FG00933.

If you search Google for this number you'll find a few online stores who offer it. It's a 10ft mono mini-cable and sells for less than $10. It's a bit expensive, but where I live it's worth it. I was searching for a 3.5mm triggle cable and that got me nowhere. Try searching for the part number or '3.5mm mono to 3.5mm mono' and you'll find it.

Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

f0am

Audioholic
majorloser said:
It's just as easy to buy the ends and make up your own cables. Twisted pair alarm cable works just fine.
I found the end's at radio shack. I am just afriad they will need to be soldered. My soldering skill isn't that great. How hard is it to build these cables. I dont care to run a `10 foot cable when I only need to go 4 inches.

F

f0am

Audioholic
So after reading this post I wnet to radioshake and built my own cable.. My soldering skill sucked when i was younger... 14-15.
I am 22 now some may say im still young but thats aside the point.
either way i went to radio shake picked up some sliver solder that was small in size (when i was younger i always used really thick solder), grabed some tinner, and the cheapest soldering iron there.
It was easy as pie to make. The solder held the wire right were i placed it.
I would say if you need one of these cables give it a try you would be suprized at how easy they are to make!
:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis