Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Compressed audio - MP3, WMA, etc.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Geno said:
With the SACDs and DVD-As I own, the sound quality is, IMHO, excellent for both. I like the video features on DVD-A, but the number of titles for SACD, if you like classical & jazz, is vastly superior.
Thats about where i stand except there just isnt that much video on DVD-A that i have and most the time the video isnt HiRes audio. Maybe its just the ones i have.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I just like cd's, they put out a quality that I am very pleased with.

Then again, All I listen to is Funky House, House, Acid, Trance, Happy Hardcore, and Drum n' Bass.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
SACD is my #1 choice for audio.
DVD-A is too inconsistent in the sampling frequencies. I like with SACD that I'm always getting the same quality.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
SACD and Vinyl. There's something direct and engaging about a good black vinyl setup and recording and it's definitely better than CD. SACD is the best of digital with its better sampling rate and it has the multi-channel advantage. Unfortunately, engineers are often not sure how to handle 5 channel, but the technology is there in case they can.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
As much as I love vinyl, SACD and DVD-A, I think a well produced CD still has the potential for greatness, and is the most universally playable so I'll say it's my favorite with a few "buts"

R

RMK!

Multi channel audio fan

The question was "What is your favorite audio format". I did not take this to mean music only so I said DTS. In watching movies (and I do this quite a lot) I always prefer DTS audio. Even on concert DVD's like Cream @RAH and Neil Young's Heart of Gold, I prefer the DTS audio tracks. I guess I just really like multi channel audio and I put together a system that does pretty well with it.

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
Almost eight hundred votes after one year

Voters: 773.

Thank you all! ;)

Cheers!

S

stobo

Audiophyte
I choose SACD. The audio is the best. I feel that sometimes I am able to hear the presence of the master tape quality of older recordings. And is the most musical of any audio format IMHO, it is the best. It is relatively inconvenient, as I must physically play SACD discs. Most other digital audio/video can be called up from PC storage and then be selected and then rendered using my WDTV device. DVD surround music is fun, but CD's sound is next best-a step up from FLAC...and three steps up from compressed audio.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Grave digging much? Last thread response was 8 years ago and most posters are long gone.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm helping dig :) Never seen this so you know... I exercised my right to vote.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
lol. Nothing wrong with a little forumancy ;)

My vote is for .flac (not on list). Physical media is too unwieldy these days. Easier to carry around files on a micro SD card in your phone (which can connect to pretty much any media device).

.mp3s are obsolete too. No need to save space anymore, even for portable devices. You can use 128GB micro SD cards now. That is 128 uncompressed CDs with room to spare! If you want 24bit 96khz sample rate: in .flac that is still about 128 albums thanks to the (lossless) compression.

Last edited:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief

Grave digging much? Last thread response was 8 years ago and most posters are long gone.

I dunno, this might be worth a revision. I'm kinda curious to see what folks prefer now vs then. Maybe the opinions have shifted.

DJ

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
.mp3s are obsolete too. No need to save space anymore, even for portable devices. You can use 128GB micro SD cards now. That is 128 uncompressed CDs with room to spare!
My momma told me to ignore any sentence starting with "Technically" :p, but technically 128GB microSD is not 128 uncompressed CDs, but almost 200.:rolleyes:
Also assuming 2:1 (or better) 100% lossless Flac compression it makes it easily over 400 CDs :) more than plenty

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I dunno, this might be worth a revision. I'm kinda curious to see what folks prefer now vs then. Maybe the opinions have shifted.

DJ

I still prefer SACD :) Oddly, I almost never listen to my mulitchannel SACDs and DVD-As anymore though. I primarily listen in stereo these days.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I still prefer SACD :) Oddly, I almost never listen to my mulitchannel SACDs and DVD-As anymore though. I primarily listen in stereo these days.
Ya, me too. Me, being a 2 channel nearfield guy, first and foremost, I want the highest resolution I can get my hands on. There's just something inherently more pleasing to me about the DSD noise shaping process irrespective of whether or not the word length really is 24 bits deep.

DJ

T

Tao1

Audioholic
My momma told me to ignore any sentence starting with "Technically" :p, but technically 128GB microSD is not 128 uncompressed CDs, but almost 200.:rolleyes:
Also assuming 2:1 (or better) 100% lossless Flac compression it makes it easily over 400 CDs :) more than plenty
Yeah I know. I actually pulled out the calculator before I typed that, but I figured 128CDs 'with room to spare' was probably good enough :p

128 albums to carry around is fairly excessive on its own ;)

I mentioned the .flac mainly because I was laughing at the fact that the 24 bit vinyl rip of Painkiller I got (to replace my broken copy) was actually larger than would fit on CD!

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Did she also tell you that life was like a box of chocolates?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis